Off Topic Messages

A question about Mp3 recordings

Wed May 08, 2013 8:27 am

I am looking for a program (free or commercial) with which I can create remixes MP3 (Elvis).
I would like to insert different sound loops (drums, guitar, etc.).

How can I save concerts without breaks between the songs as Mp3 and individually choose yet each song?

Re: A question about Mp3 recordings

Wed May 08, 2013 9:55 am

Winston, if you're doing remixes from MP3s, you'll lose a whole lotta quality when you re-encode your creation.
You should try WAV files instead.

I used to use FL Studios...
http://www.image-line.com/documents/flstudio_old.html

By the way, there's a software section on this very forum:
viewforum.php?f=67

Sun May 12, 2013 4:48 am

Mp3s suck period! wavs and flac are best. if u want it for itunes just copy your cds into that.Dont screw with mp3s.

Sun May 12, 2013 6:24 am

ritchie valens wrote:Mp3s suck period! wavs and flac are best. if u want it for itunes just copy your cds into that.Dont screw with mp3s.

Mp3 compression was designed for limited space, so I wouldn't say they suck, they come in quite handy for media players with 10 gigs or less storage.

Sun May 12, 2013 9:20 am

In any event, if you want to do experimentation, this is a fun program. And you needn't be a nuclear physicist, either! I really like it.

http://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/

Mixcraft. Version 6. A real blast (excuse the pun). And if you have a professional YouTube channel, and cannot use "third-party content" as music, you can create fresh music. A little bit like the Apple Garage Band, but it can also do more advanced mixing. I enjoy it.

One should work with the best quality imported music files, no matter the application. MP3s would be created at THE END of the process, rather than at the beginning. And you would only want to create the highest quality MP3s, if that's what you want as an end product. Depends on the capacity of your portable music device, of course. If you're uploading to YouTube, I would still use very high quality music, and hope for the best on the other end.

rjm
Last edited by rjm on Sun May 12, 2013 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 12, 2013 9:45 am

Thanks a lot!

Sun May 12, 2013 2:38 pm

Here's an interesting extract from the book "Perfecting Sound Forever - The Story Of Recorded Music" by Greg Milner. It says what I have suspected all along, namely that you can't tell the difference between a well made MP3 and the original.

To take a subjective listening test at CRC, you sit in a chair and stare slightly downward at a monitor between two speakers. When you toggle back and forth to compare selections, the testing software makes sure the transitions are completely seamless. Every aspect of the test is designed to isolate the act of listening—“to eliminate every variable, except for this,” said the CRC’s Michel Lavoie, a member of the institute’s Advanced Audio Systems Group, pointing at his ears. “Ideally, there would be a brain implant. Even having to look at the monitor means your brain is processing, when you should just be using it to listen.”

Before administering the test, Lavoie made it clear that he wouldn’t give me the results, a policy the CRC strictly observes. Since so many of the people whom the CRC recruits for subjective listening tests are professionally involved in audio, they all assume they’ll ace the test. But one thing the tests can reveal is that people who think they have golden ears really have nothing of the sort. Subjects may consistently misidentify which selection is the codec and which is the original. They may hear all kinds of phantom artifacts in what they mistakenly think is the codec choice and wind up giving an “annoying” rating to the original. “People always want to know how they did,” Lavoie said. “But no good can ever come of it. It either strokes your ego or demolishes your ego. If people don’t do as well as they thought, and word gets out, it’s just bad news.”

Tue May 14, 2013 11:59 am

Would that not depend upon the type of music?

If it was bass-heavy thumping music, I can see that. But there really IS a major difference between, say, the recent "Back In Memphis" FTD, and the old "Suspicious Minds" collection. Truly night and day.

I suppose an MP3 version of the BIM tracks would sound better than lossless tracks from S.M.

There are variables to it.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Tue May 14, 2013 1:19 pm

rjm wrote:Would that not depend upon the type of music?

If it was bass-heavy thumping music, I can see that. But there really IS a major difference between, say, the recent "Back In Memphis" FTD, and the old "Suspicious Minds" collection. Truly night and day.

I suppose an MP3 version of the BIM tracks would sound better than lossless tracks from S.M.

There are variables to it.

They take several recordings and they make various versions of each recording. You would be played an MP3 or an AAC made from a CD, plus the same piece from the actual CD (twice in fact) in a random order. So you might hear the sequence Lossless-MP3-Lossless-AAC or any number of variations of that. But the point is, everything comes from the same source, and their conclusion based on however many thousands of tests they have carried out over the years, is that statistically nobody can tell the difference. That's just a fact.

Wed May 15, 2013 1:46 am

AAC is better for ipods than mp3.

Wed May 15, 2013 2:24 am

ritchie valens wrote:AAC is better for ipods than mp3.

Would you care to elaborate?

That's a rather extravagant statement, but I have wondered if Apple-specific codecs work better for listening on an Apple device.

It is true, nevertheless, that a 320 kbps, no VBR MP3 has less "loss," if you will, than an AAC.

I would like to hear more.

rjm (oh, and there's a handy-dandy Software Section co-run by two different knowledgeable members. People should use it more :D )

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2