Off Topic Messages

Beyond Hip-Hop

Sat May 04, 2013 11:46 am

After watching Macklemore and Louis (sp?) Featuring Mary Lambert last night on Colbert, I asked here about them, and investigated further today.

The performance that grabbed my attention is a message song, but her singing was compelling enough that the medium was the message. I really didn't listen to the lyrics at first; the "worrying" by Lambert at the end just grabbed me. "No crying on Sundays," she kept repeating, with gripping emotion. Great work!

And this is apparently the direction now. The raps, beats, samples work best with singing. Good singing.

Their raps, very popular, sound more like beat poetry, than rap. Has anyone heard Dylan's early "Last Thoughts On Woody Guthrie"? Beat poetry. That boy could rap! (He was better at it. ;) ) Whatever you want to call it; doesn't matter.

So, if they incorporate singing as absolutely fundamental, hip hop can grow. Also, these kids have a grasp of historical context. Which is why I hear beat poetry, rather than rap.

Brings it all full circle.
Healthy for music!

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Re: Beyond Hip-Hop

Mon May 06, 2013 2:28 am

rjm wrote:After watching Macklemore and Louis (sp?) Featuring Mary Lambert last night on Colbert, I asked here about them, and investigated further today.

The performance that grabbed my attention is a message song, but her singing was compelling enough that the medium was the message. I really didn't listen to the lyrics at first; the "worrying" by Lambert at the end just grabbed me. "No crying on Sundays," she kept repeating, with gripping emotion. Great work!

And this is apparently the direction now. The raps, beats, samples work best with singing. Good singing.

Their raps, very popular, sound more like beat poetry, than rap. Has anyone heard Dylan's early "Last Thoughts On Woody Guthrie"? Beat poetry. That boy could rap! (He was better at it. ;) ) Whatever you want to call it; doesn't matter.

So, if they incorporate singing as absolutely fundamental, hip hop can grow. Also, these kids have a grasp of historical context. Which is why I hear beat poetry, rather than rap.

Brings it all full circle.
Healthy for music!

Nice post.

Although some here view "rap" and "hip-hop" as the root of everything evil in the world, and few equate Dylan's live 1963 recording as being "rap," the genre has indeed endured and expanded to the point where it is far and away the dominant music of the current generation. Just as rock 'n' roll grew and evolved from the fifties, so has this music since it surfaced in the late seventies.

Re: Beyond Hip-Hop

Mon May 06, 2013 8:39 am

Thanks. Now, while I was being a bit facetious about Dylan "rapping," there is a point where certain thoughtful raps are quite close to beat poetry.

This is Bob's piece:

phpBB [video]

"Same love" official video:

phpBB [video]

rjm