How did you find out about FECC?

Off Topic Messages

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
jake
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

How did you find out about FECC?

Post by jake »

I have always been curious how everyone found out about this site? I came across it purely by accident back in 2003 when I was living in Japan (back here living again at the moment) and having recently purchased a laptop, which opened up a whole new world. For me FECC was my connection to the world outside of Japan. I was living in a Japanese houshold, and for me, before the days of Face Book and other social media sites, it was a great way to communicate with others who spoke English, and helped me maintain some sanity while living in a culture that I don't think I or most non-Japanese will ever understand.

I can honestly say that while I have been absent for some time, I am truly grateful for the knowlege that exists on this board, and for those past and present who have contributed. There have definitely been some interesting characters throughout the past ten years. It is always a great feeling to communicate with those who have a common and deep appreciation for great music and interesting topics discussed here.

I really don't know where the last ten years have gone......?

rjm
Registered for: 13 years 2 months

Re: How did you find out about FECC?

Post by rjm »

jake wrote:I have always been curious how everyone found out about this site? I came across it purely by accident back in 2003 when I was living in Japan (back here living again at the moment) and having recently purchased a laptop, which opened up a whole new world. For me FECC was my connection to the world outside of Japan. I was living in a Japanese houshold, and for me, before the days of Face Book and other social media sites, it was a great way to communicate with others who spoke English, and helped me maintain some sanity while living in a culture that I don't think I or most non-Japanese will ever understand.

I can honestly say that while I have been absent for some time, I am truly grateful for the knowlege that exists on this board, and for those past and present who have contributed. There have definitely been some interesting characters throughout the past ten years. It is always a great feeling to communicate with those who have a common and deep appreciation for great music and interesting topics discussed here.

I really don't know where the last ten years have gone......?
I haven't been on here for near that long, but your query deserves an answer.

The first time I saw a post from here, I didn't know it WAS from here. I was researching the writing and recording and reception of "Rubberneckin.'" and what people thought it meant. Looked at the sheet music, looked at interviews with those involved, and what people said on the Internet.

Well, I found this old posting -- I'd never signed up for a "forum," so it was just a random post to me. I found it later, when I was signed on. A post by one "Lonnie Beale" (Not sure if that's the correct username), said what what I thought it was about. A lot of fans did not care for this opinion, but it was really a rather small thing on the surface. This was quite a ways back, but I don't remember the year. It was years before I got on here, and found it. I remembered it, and thought "I read that from HERE!"

When I really came on the board, I was researching the work of Joe Hill Louis, and the early Sun era, and the pre-Elvis era. "Tiger Man", "Mystery Train" . . . etc. And just a whole lotta interesting records that came out of Sun and Memphis. And I was trying, and am still trying to track Elvis' pre-Sun movements around Memphis.

So, I come upon some posts with AUDIO samples of Elvis singing "Tiger Man" in the "normal tempo" long before Louis' slower version came out in the 1980s, after Elvis's death.

I was blown away, and to post, or to get involved in any way, you had to sign up. Now, I had only signed up to Amazon.com, Landsend.com, etc. prior to this. I also posted in mudcat cafe as "guest." Didn't sign up. I had A DIAL-UP CONNECTION, ONLY! (I thought high-speed was just a racket to take more money every month. I was an idiot.)

My workplace was in transition: we couldn't make the rent, and were moving, so my work laptop was in storage. After I signed up, my hard disk drive on the only computer with a working sound card, died. TOAST. Lost all my ITunes, and all access to a sound card, let alone video. The other computer was a Win98 machine, with no more sound card functioning. And only dial-up.

I had recently had surgery, and figured it was okay. No biggie. Wrong.

BUT!!!!! I had a little Kindle. Little keyboard Kindle which had something called "3G." I had no idea what this was, or how it worked, but it connected me to the Internet, and to this forum.

I became completely addicted, without even multi-media. Just text, and B&W photos.

In November of 2011, I bought a "tablet computer." A brave new world opened wide! I got my laptop out of storage around this time, too, and by early December, had a cable modem installed, and got a terrific router! Only a week before, I didn't know what a "router" was. I swear to God, that's the truth, even though it sounds crazy. It's the truth.

And the rest . . . is herstory. ;)

(I am on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, tumblr, Blogger . . . etc. And I have a new BIG SMART TV!!! :D )

This is all thanks to FECC, BTW. I might still be on a dial-up. It's possible!

rjm
::rocks ::rocks ::rocks ::rocks ::rocks ::rocks

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64

promiseland
Registered for: 12 years 11 months

Post by promiseland »

I knew it was around when it first started but I never joined at the time, because my main link to this site was Willems page with all the import releases and reviews to all the new CD's being released. Would go there everyday and just read, and read, and, read. And Jordan's Elvis World had all the ra files to hear all this new stuff and it was like a dream come true.
One thing for sure there is no better Elvis Presley forum in the world today as with FECC.

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

i actually found it on google!

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

Rob

Post by Rob »

I first became a member in 2003 and I do not remember how it came to be.

Just count your blessings that I'm here.

KHoots
Registered for: 21 years

Post by KHoots »

I did a Google search on a young talent named Alizee in 2003, and well.....

Bodie
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by Bodie »

I was suffering from a 'lack of knowledge about Elvis' and i was told i needed to see a Doctor and was sent straight here.

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

I did a search for war zones on google.

Francesc

Post by Francesc »

In 1995, Willem's was one of the few websites available. The import section was a must to visit every week.

Some other websites from that time

Elvis World Japan
A 50's website from a gal called Anne from Virginia

and 2 or 3 more that I don't remember the names

TCB-FAN
Registered for: 15 years

Post by TCB-FAN »

jake wrote:I have always been curious how everyone found out about this site?
A little birdie told me. :wink:

"If The Songs Don't Go Over With The Crowd, We Can Always Do A Medley Of Costumes."

Elvis A. Presley, 1970

Dan_T
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by Dan_T »

I discovered it through web TV around 2000/01 I believe, it may have been a little earlier.

Francesc

Post by Francesc »

Dan_T wrote:I discovered it through web TV around 2000/01 I believe, it may have been a little earlier.
webtv ... wild! :D

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

KHoots wrote:I did a Google search on a young talent named Alizee in 2003, and well.....
Actually, the Alizee thread didn't arrive here until 2005 !

It's been so long, I can't remember how I found FECC !

Just stumbled upon it, I reckon............

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

promiseland

Post by promiseland »

poormadpeter wrote:I did a search for war zones on google.
LOL now that was a good one! :wink:

KevinK
Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Post by KevinK »

I don't really remember.
I know I was subscribed to the alt.elvis.king newsgroup for a while. Maybe I saw it referenced there, or maybe simply via a websearch. Seems so long ago now, I can't remember.

Glad I found it though!

::rocks

fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

It was in late 1995, I'm pretty sure. Around that time, I was first introduced to import Cd's. A little antique shop in my old Florida hometown had a"special room" in the back with nothing but Elvis rarities. They had a handful of imports, but I was hesitant to purchase without doing some prior research. Then I found this site! It was an eye opening experience, that is for sure! For me, the discovery of imports AND this site was the start of a great journey. Fast forward almost 15 years, and it is with great honor that I am, today,able to be the host and technical dude for FECC. :-D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

All the best from Mempihs
Jordan

ImageImage

fa-boltfa-boltPlease send all tech support requests to: tech@elvicities.comfa-boltfa-bolt

Make sure to visit my friends at the EAP society! It's a movement! For all generations of fans! And it's worth supporting!!!

londonflash

Post by londonflash »

fecc-mechanic wrote:It was in late 1995, I'm pretty sure. Around that time, I was first introduced to import Cd's. A little antique shop in my old Florida hometown had a"special room" in the back with nothing but Elvis rarities. They had a handful of imports, but I was hesitant to purchase without doing some prior research. Then I found this site! It was an eye opening experience, that is for sure! For me, the discovery of imports AND this site was the start of a great journey. Fast forward almost 15 years, and it is with great honor that I am, today,able to be the host and technical dude for FECC. :-D

And a great job you do, Jordan.

I first stumbled across fecc probably around 2001, in the early days of developing a strong interest in Elvis. It took me a couple of years to join the forum, which I did just before the old one closed. Wow, ten years!

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

KHoots

Post by KHoots »

ColinB wrote:
KHoots wrote:I did a Google search on a young talent named Alizee in 2003, and well.....
Actually, the Alizee thread didn't arrive here until 2005 !
Yeah, I was just being stupid. Totally out of character, I know, but what the heck................ :D

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

I was with my statuesque girlfriend at a wonderful restaurant called Breads of India, when I saw a guy sitting alone at a corner table, muttering over and over to himself, "FECC, FECC, FECC ..."

So I did a quick Google search and -- VOILA! -- I found this amazing forum.

Never saw the poor fellow again. I felt sorry for him, and wished I could have told him what I found.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

promiseland

Post by promiseland »

drjohncarpenter wrote:I was with my statuesque girlfriend at a wonderful restaurant called Breads of India, when I saw a guy sitting alone at a corner table, muttering over and over to himself, "FECC, FECC, FECC ..."

So I did a quick Google search and -- VOILA! -- I found this amazing forum.

Never saw the poor fellow again. I felt sorry for him, and wished I could have told him what I found.
That was me Doc!!! When I seen your statuesque girlfriend, I just kept saying over and over to myself "If She was with me, If she was with me", If she was with me..." Not FECC! :?

willem k.
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by willem k. »

fecc-mechanic wrote:It was in late 1995, I'm pretty sure. Around that time, I was first introduced to import Cd's. A little antique shop in my old Florida hometown had a"special room" in the back with nothing but Elvis rarities. They had a handful of imports, but I was hesitant to purchase without doing some prior research. Then I found this site! It was an eye opening experience, that is for sure! For me, the discovery of imports AND this site was the start of a great journey. Fast forward almost 15 years, and it is with great honor that I am, today,able to be the host and technical dude for FECC. :-D

I think I still have a back-up copy of the website from 1995 on a floppydisk. It fit on one 1.4 mb disk. I'm feeling old now :-)

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9505 met Tapatalk

Blue River
Banned
Banned
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Post by Blue River »

jake wrote:How did you find out about FECC?
I was looking at WorldWideElvis >> http://www.worldwideelvis.com/
... and clicked "LINKS".

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

keninlincs
Registered for: 15 years 9 months
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

I bought a set of boot cds from a guy in Ireland and in the parcel was a few pages copied from the import section so I looked up the address and that's it

-instagram kenh1964

elvisa
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by elvisa »

ElvisNews.com was one of the very first Elvis related websites I visited and through their ElvisStartPage I found FECC.

" Elvis music is how feelings sound like "

debtd1
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Post by debtd1 »

I think it was from tcb-world.....

"No-one, but no-one, is his equal, or ever will be. He was, and is supreme". Mick Jagger