Postby keninlincs » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:14 pm

Happy birthday to Willie Nelson who is 80 today
-
keninlincs

Topic author

Re: Happy birthday Willie

Postby Rob » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:31 pm

One thread should be sufficient, Ken.

Happy Birthday, Willie. Let's go up to the roof of the White House and smoke a fat one.
Rob

Postby ColinB » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:26 pm

I liked Willie's reply when asked why he smoked dope:

"It stops me from killing people !"
Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire
ColinB

Postby greystoke » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:11 pm

It's wonderful that Willie is still well and recording splendid music at the age of 80 -- he's one of my absolute favourites, and long may he continue. I would love to see him in concert again. It's always a joy to hear him sing and play in person.
greystoke

Postby poormadpeter » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:17 pm

greystoke wrote:It's wonderful that Willie is still well and recording splendid music at the age of 80 -- he's one of my absolute favourites, and long may he continue. I would love to see him in concert again. It's always a joy to hear him sing and play in person.

There is a Willie night on Sky Arts one day next week, by the way.
poormadpeter

Postby Rob » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:24 pm

greystoke wrote:It's wonderful that Willie is still well and recording splendid music at the age of 80......

And sounds the same as he did 20-30 years ago. A lot of artists slow down long before the age of 80.

Willie is still going strong.
Rob

Postby keninlincs » Wed May 01, 2013 1:40 am

Great I shall be back in the U.K. by then

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2
-
keninlincs

Topic author

Postby keninlincs » Wed May 01, 2013 1:41 am

Rob wrote:One thread should be sufficient, Ken.

Happy Birthday, Willie. Let's go up to the roof of the White House and smoke a fat one.

Sorry Rob its this florida sunshine , its còoked my tablet

-
keninlincs

Topic author

Postby norrie » Wed May 01, 2013 2:25 am

The drugs don't work.Drugs are baaaad.Willie must be the one exception that proves the rule.Love the guy and it's always a pleasure to see him live even in his old age although his old age seems to be different than anyone else's!

norrie
norrie

Postby norrie » Wed May 01, 2013 2:32 am

poormadpeter wrote:
greystoke wrote:It's wonderful that Willie is still well and recording splendid music at the age of 80 -- he's one of my absolute favourites, and long may he continue. I would love to see him in concert again. It's always a joy to hear him sing and play in person.

There is a Willie night on Sky Arts one day next week, by the way.

He was on Sky Arts tonight as well,it was the Angels and Outlaws 2004 celebration of Willies career with Bob Dylan,Keith Richards,Al Green,Jerry Lee Lewis,Kid Rock and many others.

norrie
norrie

Postby rjm » Wed May 01, 2013 2:35 am

Such joyful news! I left a "Happy Birthday" "like" on his birthday thread on Facebook.

Long may he sing. And whatever else he likes to do. {"along came Mary Jane"}

rjm
P.S. -- A tablet can get cooked? Gotta be careful!
"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

---
Follow me on YouTube!

Or . . .

rjm

Postby keninlincs » Wed May 01, 2013 3:38 am

The tablet is fine now, thanks

-
keninlincs

Topic author

Postby luckyjackson1 » Wed May 01, 2013 10:52 am

Rob wrote:
greystoke wrote:It's wonderful that Willie is still well and recording splendid music at the age of 80......

And sounds the same as he did 20-30 years ago. A lot of artists slow down long before the age of 80.

Willie is still going strong.

Well, actually while listening to his recent album "Let's Face The Music And Dance" I finally realized he's getting older... well, we all do. :wink:

I was about to post a topic on monday already but thanks to Ken he remembered the correct date.

So Willie, happy belated birthday. He said in an interview recently that he would not be reminded of it, so it was a regular work day for him, playing a gig in Florida.
When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me
luckyjackson1

Postby greystoke » Wed May 01, 2013 8:04 pm

I have certainly heard age affect Willie's voice over the past eight or ten years, although to no detriment -- despite his range being diminished a little. His tone is still marvellous, as is that distinctive vibrato. Undiminished is his ability to convey a lyric or offer a unique interpretation of a song. He's a wonderful communicator. And at eighty-years-of-age, has become part of a rare club of singers who have remained creative, prolific, interesting and in good enough voice to keep performing and recording as octogenarians. Tony Bennett obviously springs to mind in this respect, as does B.B. King, although he hasn't recorded much since turning 80 in 2005. But I can easily foresee the like of Bruce Springsteen, Tom Jones, Cliff Richard, Elton John, Paul McCartney and even the Rolling Stones performing into the latter part of their seventies. Even Petula Clark, at 80, has a new album on release and still sounds good.

A decade ago, when Willie turned 70, he was already older than Sinatra was when he recorded the splendid L.A. Is My Lady album in 1984. And although Sinatra would record occasionally during the rest of the 1980s, and did unsuccessfully try to get new projects off the ground, it would be a further nine years until Frank released an album of entirely new recordings with Duets. Which isn't entirely out of the ordinary by today's standards, although, Willie, in the same period of time, has released almost a dozen studio albums. All of which are good, certainly worthy of anyone's attention, whilst several, such as Songbird, It Will Always Be, American Classic and You Don't Know Me: The Songs of Cindy Walker, rank favourably next to his best material. And he still acts on occasion -- although, for laughs, check out his recent "audition" to play Gandalf in the next Hobbit movie.

It's very special and worth reflecting on a great career, such as Willie's, when a landmark age is reached. Especially 80 -- an age that Cash didn't make it to, or Crosby, who was seen as being ancient for such a long time. Turning to Elvis for a moment, and his passing at what certainly wasn't old by any standards, or even middle-aged, it's incredible to think that Willie was born almost two full years before him -- April 1933. Willie Nelson, to my mind, has had one of the greatest long careers in all of popular music. And I wouldn't doubt for a second that he's still got some outstanding music in him -- not that he's showing any signs of slowing down.
greystoke

Postby drjohncarpenter » Wed May 01, 2013 8:06 pm

greystoke wrote:I have certainly heard age affect Willie's voice over the past eight or ten years, although to no detriment -- despite his range being diminished a little. His tone is still marvellous, as is that distinctive vibrato. Undiminished is his ability to convey a lyric or offer a unique interpretation of a song. He's a wonderful communicator. And at eighty-years-of-age, has become part of a rare club of singers who have remained creative, prolific, interesting and in good enough voice to keep performing and recording as octogenarians. Tony Bennett obviously springs to mind in this respect, as does B.B. King, although he hasn't recorded much since turning 80 in 2005. But I can easily foresee the like of Bruce Springsteen, Tom Jones, Cliff Richard, Elton John, Paul McCartney and even the Rolling Stones performing into the latter part of their seventies. Even Petula Clark, at 80, has a new album on release and still sounds good.

A decade ago, when Willie turned 70, he was already older than Sinatra was when he recorded the splendid L.A. Is My Lady album in 1984. And although Sinatra would record occasionally during the rest of the 1980s, and did unsuccessfully try to get new projects off the ground, it would be a further nine years until Frank released an album of entirely new recordings with Duets. Which isn't entirely out of the ordinary by today's standards, although, Willie, in the same period of time, has released almost a dozen studio albums. All of which are good, certainly worthy of anyone's attention, whilst several, such as Songbird, It Will Always Be, American Classic and You Don't Know Me: The Songs of Cindy Walker, rank favourably next to his best material. And he still acts on occasion -- although, for laughs, check out his recent "audition" to play Gandalf in the next Hobbit movie.

It's very special and worth reflecting on a great career, such as Willie's, when a landmark age is reached. Especially 80 -- an age that Cash didn't make it to, or Crosby, who was seen as being ancient for such a long time. Turning to Elvis for a moment, and his passing at what certainly wasn't old by any standards, or even middle-aged, it's incredible to think that Willie was born almost two full years before him -- April 1933. Willie Nelson, to my mind, has had one of the greatest long careers in all of popular music. And I wouldn't doubt for a second that he's still got some outstanding music in him -- not that he's showing any signs of slowing down.

What a great post! Thank you for sharing your insights with us.
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!
drjohncarpenter

Postby poormadpeter » Wed May 01, 2013 8:27 pm

Let's not forget his extra-curricular activities as well, campaigning on issues including farming, the treatment of horses, the decriminalisation of marijuana, the environment and LGBT issues. Whether you agree with his stance on these issues or not, to still be campaigning at the age of 80, and performing concerts and recording is almost unbelievable.
poormadpeter

Postby luckyjackson1 » Wed May 01, 2013 11:05 pm

Long live Willie!

Just listened to my Bear Family box set today (including two autographs - bought it from Bear Family, alredy signed by Willie on the featured book. He personally gave me the second autograph on the carton shortly before a concert in 2010).
Boy, there's some depressing stuff on it.

But then I discovered the audition video and I couldn't help but laugh out loud:

phpBB [video]

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me
luckyjackson1

Postby keninlincs » Thu May 02, 2013 6:16 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:Long live Willie!

Just listened to my Bear Family box set today (including two autographs - bought it from Bear Family, alredy signed by Willie on the featured book. He personally gave me the second autograph on the carton shortly before a concert in 2010).
Boy, there's some depressing stuff on it.

But then I discovered the audition video and I couldn't help but laugh out loud:

phpBB [video]

Brilliant

-
keninlincs

Topic author

Return to Off Topic