Re: For Harley . . . "likethebike"

Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:11 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Very nice.

Thank you, my friend.

rjm

Wed May 01, 2013 1:34 am

Robin~

You were a good friend I am sure. Nice selection.

"Joe"

Wed May 01, 2013 4:16 am

Perfect song Robin.

Harley would have loved that selection.

I'm sure he valued your friendship. :)

Wed May 01, 2013 5:46 am

JosephC wrote:Robin~

You were a good friend I am sure. Nice selection.

"Joe"

Thanks.

HE was a good friend, to me. I'm pretty new, certainly by comparison, and I hope I was a good friend to him. He was here a whole lot longer than me, and he was so kind and generous in the PMs, in telling me his name, and sharing essay-length messages, and genuinely seeking my input. I am honored to have known such a brilliant and kind man. Wish I could have met him in person, but that's the way of this medium, generally: this is now how you often get to know people. That doesn't change the fact that I just couldn't stop crying last night. I just kept thinking of all the different places I'd get a tapatalk notification on my phone, and it was a long essay. And I'd say "Hi, Harley. Aw, gee, I'm on mobile right now, in a restaurant. I'll print it out when I get home, and give it the attention it deserves." And he would reply: "No problem. Take your time, Robin."

Now, there is no time left.

Mitch wrote:Perfect song Robin.

Harley would have loved that selection.

I'm sure he valued your friendship. :)

Sure hope so. I think so.

Thanks, Mitch.

Robin

Wed May 01, 2013 6:05 am

This is one of the last PMs he sent me. I will always treasure it; I hope he wouldn't mind that I let folks see it - I think it shows how kind he was (this is the only one I'll show):

likethebike, in a PM, wrote:Re: If you can explain to me
Sent: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:20 am
by likethebike

Great review Robin. Not only for the depth of feeling and the unusual quality of feeling but I've always loved "Heartbreak Hotel" because there's nothing like it. Aesthetically it's what we know as rock n' roll. But musically it's not. It's not country either although there's a lot of country. It's closest to blues but it's not really blues, it's "Heartbreak Hotel." Spooky, one of a kind.

{snip of current events chatter}

Brilliant conclusion about "Ghetto" and "Limousine" and FEIM. I hadn't made that connection.

I think maybe the emotion expressed in "Any Day Now" may be just more emotionally appealing. "Twenty Days" is about what's happened, "Any Day Now" is about what may happen. "Kentucky Rain" is kind of a combination of both, the proof of the past reinforces fear of the future.

I think "If I Can Dream" would have been a good show closer and I think appealing to Elvis were it not for the damage it did to his voice. That was my point on that other thread. In Ernst's book we often see Elvis dropping songs from the show because they're exhausting. He's got to last an hour you know and be back the next night. Giving "If I Can Dream" every night, the treatment it deserved was gonna be tough.

Great point about the female singers. That was one of the great things about Elvis' singing and Elvis' image. Musically Elvis was very in touch with his feminine side, the traditionally more vulnerable things and i think that gave his work an edge.

Harley

Thank you, Harley, wherever you are.

tears-resize.jpg

rjm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed May 01, 2013 3:29 pm

Nice, Robyn.

Harley was such a kind man.

I'm glad that in our last communication (just before Christmas), I was able to tell him just how much I enjoyed his writing here. I still can't believe he won't be posting here any longer.