Off Topic Messages

Re: 'Like The Bike' - Sadly has passed away this morning.

Wed May 01, 2013 8:28 pm

It is just so sad...R.I.P...

Wed May 01, 2013 9:49 pm

jacob wrote:Harley P. Payette

Obituary

Harley P. Payette, 43, of Phillipsburg, NJ. passed away April 29, 2013 in his home, surrounded by his loving family. Born: He was born July 11, 1969 in Phillipsburg, NJ. He was the son, of the late Harley Rissmiller and Jean Roberts Rissmiller, of Phillipsburg, NJ. Personal: Harley was a Journalist and free lance writer with the Express-Times, Star Ledger, Warren Reporter and the Knowlton News for many years. Harley was a graduate of Phillipsburg High School Class of 1987 and Rider College. Survivors: Harley is survived by his mother, Jean, of Phillipsburg, NJ; brothers and sisters, Cindy Bennett and her husband Walter, of Phillipsburg, Dawn Rodriguez and her husband William, of Phillipsburg, James Payette, of Centronia, PA, Corrnine Payette, of New Port, NH, Frieda Payette, of Greenville, TN, Clarence Payette, of New Port, NH, Crystal Payette of New Port, NH; nieces and nephews, Robert Silfies, Jerry and Jesse Yanavok and Amber and Miguel Rosairo. Harley was predeceased by a brother, George Payette, who passed away in 1983. Services: A Funeral Service will be celebrated on Friday May 3, 2013 at 11:00 a.m., in the Finegan Funeral Home, 302 Heckman St., Phillipsburg, NJ 08865. Calling hours will be from 9 to 11:00 a.m., in the funeral home, on Friday. Interment will follow in Fairmount Cemetery, Phillipsburg, NJ. Memorials: In Lieu of flowers, Memorial Contributions may be made in memory of Harley in c/o the funeral home. Fineganfh.com

Published in The Express Times from April 30 to May 1, 2013

Thank you, Jacob. Greg posted it earlier, but it may have been missed, as there aren't that many entries yet. There is a Guest Book, which you may sign. All entries are approved - takes a few hours for it to appear. Since the service is coming up, perhaps his family will see the entries of so many lives he touched.

This link is to the obituary, as posted by Jacob, with an additional link to the Guest Book. Just click it if you wish. I signed it last last night, and it is now there along woth several others. Many knew him through his writing. Some of us are there, too.

http://obits.lehighvalleylive.com/obituaries/etpa/obituary.aspx?pid=164552043

Direct Guest Book link:

http://www.legacy.com/guestbooks/etpa/guestbook.aspx?n=harley-payette&pid=164552043&cid=full

rjm
Last edited by rjm on Wed May 01, 2013 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 01, 2013 10:04 pm

RJM-Thanks for the guest book link ,perhaps you could post this separately on a new thread so everyone will see it?

Wed May 01, 2013 11:04 pm

TJ wrote:This is very upsetting. I'd known about Harley's illness for a long time and really hoped he would beat it.

Harley was an excellent writer with an infectious enthusiasm for many of the greats of popular music. He made a number of insightful contributions to my site over the last few years, all of which were very welcome:
http://www.classicpopicons.com/tag/harley-payette/

Harley will be greatly missed.

My thoughts are with all who knew him.

Thank you so much for posting this link. I just read his Brenda Lee, Dion/MSG and Elvis Country articles.

What a brilliant writer and a tragic loss to the Elvis/pop music community. Thank you for giving Harley this outlet for his talents.

RIP, Harley. Thank you for enriching our lives.

Wed May 01, 2013 11:21 pm

Long time ago since the last message I posted here. Sincere condolences to his family and to all you who really appreciate (not in past) Harley.

Wed May 01, 2013 11:47 pm

Rest in peace, Harley.

Very sad news.

Thu May 02, 2013 12:08 am

I am very sorry to hear that likethebike has passed away. I found his posts to be well-reasoned and articulate. I hope that his family will be comforted by good memories of him.

Thu May 02, 2013 12:40 am

RIP LTB.
Very sorry to see a member go like this and the reactions on this site are truly impressive and hopefully a support to the family.

Thu May 02, 2013 3:06 am

I'm another one who rarely posts but does frequent this good site. Had to chime in on this sad news. Always enjoyed LTB's erudite, thoughtful, and informative posts.
RIP Harley. I will miss you and as evidenced by the outpouring on this board, we all will. Condolences to his loved ones.

Thu May 02, 2013 3:17 am

At the appropriate time I would love to read what he was planning to publish. In Dutch there's a pretty saying "Wie schrijft, die blijft". It means who distinguishes himself through excellent writing, lives on, even in death. I believe this will be the case here. I still have his writings from this board in my Elvis files. Now and then, I go through them, certain great texts that he and you guys have written through the years. Likethebike was always right there and will remain there, in my mind and in my heart.

Thu May 02, 2013 3:30 am

Sorry to read this. My condoleances to his family.

Thu May 02, 2013 3:54 am

So sad to hear of his passing...
My sincere condolences to his family....

Harley, aka 'Like The Bike', may you rest in peace....

Thu May 02, 2013 6:39 am

So sad to hear the news of Harley's passing.................................so young..................RIP Harley............... :(

Thu May 02, 2013 7:12 am

How sad, he always put a lot of thought into his posts. I will miss him.

Thu May 02, 2013 8:00 am

likethebike's last PM to me from earlier this year...

Blue River wrote:
likethebike wrote:Hi Blue River- Noticed you're big Cardinals fan yet no mention of the passing of Stan the Man this weekend, surely one of the greatest players to ever grace a Cardinals' or any other MLB uniform. Anyway my condolences on the cultural loss.

Harley

Thank you, Harvey.
Yeah, I had thought about posting something for Stan Musial's passing, but I didn't think many on here would care... other than Mary Ann (she lives in the St.Louis area).
Maybe I'll post something on his funeral day.

Thanks for caring.

Thu May 02, 2013 8:15 am

I'm sorry to make another post, but this is important. I said I wouldn't post another PM, but I missed this. It was the VERY last PM I got from him, and I have now made a decision based upon it.

I am not changing my current avatar. Ever.

Love your new avatar
Sent: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:05 am
To: rjm

Hi Robin- Just wanted to compliment your new avatar. I've never seen that picture before.

Hope you had a strong Christmas.

Harley

rjm

Thu May 02, 2013 11:24 am

God bless him and his family.

Thu May 02, 2013 3:44 pm

RIP

Thu May 02, 2013 4:59 pm

Harley sent me this article on "Elvis and doo-wop" several years ago, asking me to wait a while before we published it on-line. Most of you will not have seen it and today seemed the right day to remember his insightful writing and thoughts about the music world that he so loved....

Elvis And The Vocal Group Tradition:
Elvis Presley and doo-wop are not two phrases that normally go together. But, the vocal-group tradition was a profound part of the King's musical heritage, and the group sound's influence on Presley demonstrates the way the art form has infiltrated and informed pop music even if the sound is not visible on the surface.
But like blues, gospel and country, the vocal-group sound was where Elvis returned whenever he needed a shot of the real thing. It was a part of who he was.

Go here>>>
http://www.elvisinfonet.com/spotlight_e ... o-wop.html

In sadness - RIP Harley Payette
Piers

Thu May 02, 2013 6:14 pm

Musically the attachment to the vocal-group tradition isn't as easily made as the connections to blues and country, but it's there. Start with the presence of The Jordanaires. Presley was one of the first rock artists to incorporate a male backing group. Although many of The Jordanaires have traditional pop backings, occasionally veering toward barbershop, many tracks feature innovative doo-wop tradition harmonizing.

Great quote and great article! Something I'm sure Harley was very proud of! Thanks for posting, Piers! You should also post a link to the other article the two of you collaborated on... unless it's already been posted.

Thu May 02, 2013 6:39 pm

Does anyone have a photo of Harley that they might be willing to post here? Just so there is a face to associate with this talented, taken much too soon writer...

Thu May 02, 2013 11:24 pm

PiersEIN wrote:Harley sent me this article on "Elvis and doo-wop" several years ago, asking me to wait a while before we published it on-line. Most of you will not have seen it and today seemed the right day to remember his insightful writing and thoughts about the music world that he so loved....

Elvis And The Vocal Group Tradition:
Elvis Presley and doo-wop are not two phrases that normally go together. But, the vocal-group tradition was a profound part of the King's musical heritage, and the group sound's influence on Presley demonstrates the way the art form has infiltrated and informed pop music even if the sound is not visible on the surface.
But like blues, gospel and country, the vocal-group sound was where Elvis returned whenever he needed a shot of the real thing. It was a part of who he was.

Go here>>>
http://www.elvisinfonet.com/spotlight_e ... o-wop.html

In sadness - RIP Harley Payette

Piers

Piers, would you happen to have Harley/Likethebike's photograph ?

Fri May 03, 2013 9:12 am

These are very sad news. :cry:

R.I.P

Fri May 03, 2013 9:52 am

Whenever I saw LTB's name on a thread, I clicked on it immediately. I knew that I was going to be treated to a response to the topic of the thread that was sensitive, educated, and insightful. I was never disappointed. His posts were always thought-provoking -- most often leaving me with nothing to say -- just much to ponder.

It's not surprising that such a man was an Elvis fan and I'm so glad he shared his passion with us. I feel lucky that my path crossed with his here on this Board -- even for a short period of time.

Fri May 03, 2013 1:39 pm

Very sad news indeed! LTB had so much to offer in here! May he rest in peace!