Off Topic Messages

Re: 'Like The Bike' - Sadly has passed away this morning.

Wed May 01, 2013 12:10 am

R.I.P. Harley.

Wed May 01, 2013 12:19 am

R.I.P. Harley!

One of the best FECC members and I loved to read his posts. He will be truly missed here. :(

Wed May 01, 2013 1:14 am

Rest In Peace, Harley. Your earthly race is run. You are missed.

Wed May 01, 2013 1:37 am

I hated to open the messageboard today as I knew this was what I would see..... RIP friend

JEFF d
EP fan

Wed May 01, 2013 3:38 am

Rest in peace Harley. I only knew you thru your posts here, but your writing has touched me deeply many times.

Wed May 01, 2013 4:02 am

May he rest in peace.

Wed May 01, 2013 4:07 am

Very sad news.

This board will not be the same.

Rest In Peace My Friend.

Wed May 01, 2013 5:13 am

This morning at work I opened this thread and saw that Harley had passed away. I began to read some of the beautiful tributes, but had to stop as I started to tear up. As the day wore on a thought kept coming to mind: His passing is going to leave a major void here at FECC that simply won't be filled. My condolences to his family.

RIP LTB. You will be missed.

Wed May 01, 2013 5:52 am

Very sad and surprised to see this, I had no idea he wasn't well. I always enjoyed LTB's or as I now know, Harley's, posts. He was one of the first people I noticed here and if I remember correctly, was one of the reasons I joined FECC when I was looking for a blog in the Elvis fan community a few years back. I was always impressed by his intellect and how he could articulate his thoughts about music effectively. Because of that I knew this was the right Elvis blog for me.

43, jeez man. Not fair. Not fair at all. I wish him the best wherever he is, and if what they tell us is true then I'd like to believe he's somewhere out there seeing or meeting Elvis and all of the other music legends that are no longer with us.

RIP dude.

Wed May 01, 2013 6:04 am

Terrible news, life is so very fleeting.

RIP, LTB.

Nothing else I can say, just a damn shame.

Wed May 01, 2013 6:04 am

A very nice member of FECC who will be dearly missed.

Wed May 01, 2013 8:27 am

Very sorry to hear Harley, aka LTB passed away. He will be missed. :(

Wed May 01, 2013 9:15 am

This is very upsetting. I'd known about Harley's illness for a long time and really hoped he would beat it.

Harley was an excellent writer with an infectious enthusiasm for many of the greats of popular music. He made a number of insightful contributions to my site over the last few years, all of which were very welcome:
http://www.classicpopicons.com/tag/harley-payette/

Harley will be greatly missed.

My thoughts are with all who knew him.

Wed May 01, 2013 9:46 am

Very, very sad news, one of the best and most informative posters on here. RIP Harley.

Wed May 01, 2013 12:30 pm

Oh, my God...

I'm at a loss for words. Reading a talented person's writing and opinions/insights over the years brings you closer to a person, even when you never met him. I will never forget him.

Rest in Peace, Harley. The King couldn't have wished for a better champion in his corner. My thoughts go out to his mother.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP4bj7ObCNk

Wed May 01, 2013 1:05 pm

RIP, Harley. Condolences to the family... 43 is way, way to young to go..

Wed May 01, 2013 1:12 pm

Bon voyage, Harley...

Wed May 01, 2013 2:25 pm

Sad news indeed, R.I.P

Alan.

Re: 'Like The Bike' - Needs Our Positive Thoughts

Wed May 01, 2013 3:16 pm

Cryogenic wrote:
PiersEIN wrote:It is with a truly heavy heart that I have to inform you all that 'Like The Bike' aka Harley Payette passed away this morning.

His nephew told me that the support and messages I forwarded to the family were really appreciated.

There's little more I can say -
.. although I will print out your messages and post them to his Mother who was looking after him, so that she can see how much he meant to all of us that knew him.

.."And what is to cease breathing, but to free the breath from its restless tides, that it may rise and expand and seek God unencumbered? Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." Kahlil Gibran

His pain is at last gone, so here's hoping that Harley Payette is now truly free and dancing with The King.
Harley was 43, one year older than Elvis when he died.
It is way, way too young.

I am shocked and numb from the suddenness of it all.
In sadness,
- Piers

Very sad and shocking to read this.

I haven't posted on FECC for a couple of years, now, for a number of reasons, but I feel I can assert the following: a part of this place just died and will never be the same again.

Can someone please promise and take seriously the notion that this entire board needs to be properly archived with its many years of creditable and interesting contributions from a range of personalities, some of whom have either disappeared or become deceased? It sounds corny, but a part of these people's spirits is contained in their writings, and our understanding of Elvis -- and ourselves -- is enriched as long as their contributions (and some entertaining discussions their contributions are embedded within) endure. It would be a travesty if all that were suddenly lost, be it due to some technical failure, software glitch, virus, accidental deletion, or random human madness.

I can see why Elvis liked "The Prophet" so much. That's a beautiful prayer/epistle right there. 43 is hideously young by today's standards; and just one year older than Elvis -- while cogently pointed out, make no mistake -- has an ugly poetry to it that almost makes a mockery of the human condition. Will someone finish LTB's book for him, I wonder? I guess this is a question for another time, but I can't help wondering. I bet whatever LTB had already written down is worth reading in whatever form it's in. I think I'm going to go back and read some of his former posts now. Thanks for forwarding those messages, Piers. I raise a glass to LTB and thank him for passing this way in his journey through life.

Cryo,

I totally concur with your post. This is just shocking...too damn young...rest in peace, Harley...you were a VERY valuable part of this board and you will NEVER be forgotten...

Wed May 01, 2013 3:36 pm

TJ wrote:This is very upsetting. I'd known about Harley's illness for a long time and really hoped he would beat it.

Harley was an excellent writer with an infectious enthusiasm for many of the greats of popular music. He made a number of insightful contributions to my site over the last few years, all of which were very welcome:
http://www.classicpopicons.com/tag/harley-payette/

Harley will be greatly missed.

My thoughts are with all who knew him.

Classic LTB writing. Rest in peace my friend....

Wed May 01, 2013 3:43 pm

RIP Harley, surely LTB was the best writer I have read on this board and obviously a nice guy as well.

Wed May 01, 2013 3:49 pm

I don't post very often but just wanted to add my condolences, while browsing the many threads seeing "likethebike" appear always meant an interesting read, thoughts are with his family.

Wed May 01, 2013 4:01 pm

Harley P. Payette

Obituary

Harley P. Payette, 43, of Phillipsburg, NJ. passed away April 29, 2013 in his home, surrounded by his loving family. Born: He was born July 11, 1969 in Phillipsburg, NJ. He was the son, of the late Harley Rissmiller and Jean Roberts Rissmiller, of Phillipsburg, NJ. Personal: Harley was a Journalist and free lance writer with the Express-Times, Star Ledger, Warren Reporter and the Knowlton News for many years. Harley was a graduate of Phillipsburg High School Class of 1987 and Rider College. Survivors: Harley is survived by his mother, Jean, of Phillipsburg, NJ; brothers and sisters, Cindy Bennett and her husband Walter, of Phillipsburg, Dawn Rodriguez and her husband William, of Phillipsburg, James Payette, of Centronia, PA, Corrnine Payette, of New Port, NH, Frieda Payette, of Greenville, TN, Clarence Payette, of New Port, NH, Crystal Payette of New Port, NH; nieces and nephews, Robert Silfies, Jerry and Jesse Yanavok and Amber and Miguel Rosairo. Harley was predeceased by a brother, George Payette, who passed away in 1983. Services: A Funeral Service will be celebrated on Friday May 3, 2013 at 11:00 a.m., in the Finegan Funeral Home, 302 Heckman St., Phillipsburg, NJ 08865. Calling hours will be from 9 to 11:00 a.m., in the funeral home, on Friday. Interment will follow in Fairmount Cemetery, Phillipsburg, NJ. Memorials: In Lieu of flowers, Memorial Contributions may be made in memory of Harley in c/o the funeral home. Fineganfh.com

Published in The Express Times from April 30 to May 1, 2013

Wed May 01, 2013 4:34 pm

I am deeply shocked and saddened. I for one have mainly agreed with all his postings on this site. I new about the rock'n'roll book he was writing. He phoned me up many months ago to discuss my thoughts and memories of the rock'n'roll years, I was on the phone for nearly an hour discussing it and was greatly looking forward to receiving a copy, I feel sure that it would have been a great book.

My heartfelt sympathy to all his family and friends, I also share in their loss.

Wed May 01, 2013 6:40 pm

Thenks for that, Chris. I will ask when its appropriate about what we can do to salvage his projects.
This was posted already in the thread, Jacob, but thanks.

Sigh, I can't believe it. If I was any closer, I'd be there Friday.

jacob wrote:Harley P. Payette

Obituary

Harley P. Payette, 43, of Phillipsburg, NJ. passed away April 29, 2013 in his home, surrounded by his loving family. Born: He was born July 11, 1969 in Phillipsburg, NJ. He was the son, of the late Harley Rissmiller and Jean Roberts Rissmiller, of Phillipsburg, NJ. Personal: Harley was a Journalist and free lance writer with the Express-Times, Star Ledger, Warren Reporter and the Knowlton News for many years. Harley was a graduate of Phillipsburg High School Class of 1987 and Rider College. Survivors: Harley is survived by his mother, Jean, of Phillipsburg, NJ; brothers and sisters, Cindy Bennett and her husband Walter, of Phillipsburg, Dawn Rodriguez and her husband William, of Phillipsburg, James Payette, of Centronia, PA, Corrnine Payette, of New Port, NH, Frieda Payette, of Greenville, TN, Clarence Payette, of New Port, NH, Crystal Payette of New Port, NH; nieces and nephews, Robert Silfies, Jerry and Jesse Yanavok and Amber and Miguel Rosairo. Harley was predeceased by a brother, George Payette, who passed away in 1983. Services: A Funeral Service will be celebrated on Friday May 3, 2013 at 11:00 a.m., in the Finegan Funeral Home, 302 Heckman St., Phillipsburg, NJ 08865. Calling hours will be from 9 to 11:00 a.m., in the funeral home, on Friday. Interment will follow in Fairmount Cemetery, Phillipsburg, NJ. Memorials: In Lieu of flowers, Memorial Contributions may be made in memory of Harley in c/o the funeral home. Fineganfh.com

Published in The Express Times from April 30 to May 1, 2013