Off Topic Messages

'Like The Bike' - Sadly has passed away this morning.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:46 am

It is with great sadness that I have to report that one of our favourite posters, 'Like The Bike' aka Harley Payette is likely to soon go offline forever.
Harley has been suffering with cancer for a fair while and now he is at home receiving hospice care - and unless there is a miraculous turn-around things are not looking good for him.
I wish I could tell you that I have talked to him but I have been told by his family that at the moment he is in a very bad way.
'Like The Bike' is a very thoughtful and insightful man who contributed music articles to Goldmine magazine as well as some of the best posts on FECC as well as to ElvisInfoNet.

For the last few years Harley was working to get a novel published, as well as working on a book tentatively titled "Shock of the New: the Big Bang of Elvis Presley and Rock and Roll".

Hopefully there will be a positive change and I can tell him that we all are thinking of him and sending our best vibes - and then he will make a full recovery and finish his book.

He is only 43 years old - life can be so unfair.

All the best
Piers

I know this is "Off Topic" but I feel that you need to know what's happening with one of our favourite FECC members.
Last edited by PiersEIN on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Re: 'Like The Bike' - Needs Our Positive Thoughts

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:49 am

I've very saddended by this i have always enjoyed talking with him on here.

I wish i knew what to say.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:56 am

Very sorry to hear this. I enjoyed his postings and articles, and am saddened to hear about his condition.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:58 am

Oh, this really hurts. I had some private correspondence with him and greatly enjoyed his participation here.

He is in my thoughts and prayers.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:04 am

Sad news! :(

I was reading one of his great posts the other day and wondered what happened to him, 'cause I haven't seen him here in a while now...

I'm not a religious person, but I believe in the power of faith and what it can do.
I never know what to say in difficult situation as this, but I really hope everything turns out well for him, his family and friends.

phpBB [video]

Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:10 am

I wish him a speedy recovery.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:32 am

"'Like The Bike' is a very thoughtful and insightful man who contributed music articles to Goldmine magazine as well as some of the best posts on FECC as well as to ElvisInfoNet."

Says it all, really. I wish him all the best.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:37 am

very sad news, he provides some very insightful information filled with much common sense on here. I have agreed with much of what he says....

hope we get some positive news, thinking about you LTB
Last edited by debtd1 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:40 am

Though I have not often agreed with likethebike's point of view he presents his arguments well and his passion for Presley undeniable. Having recently lost my 65-year old father to cancer and with my wife's sister terminal to the disease, 43 years old is not good and all too close to home.

My thoughts and prayers are with you likethebike.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:57 am

Very sad to hear about Harley. While there's life there's hope. Miracles happen...

Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:21 am

All my thoughts are with LTB.

Like a few others on here, I sometimes communicate with him via private messages. His kindness and knowledge always shine through.

I hope he pulls through, 43 is no age.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:32 am

That's awful. Horrible to hear.
Obviously we'll all keep our fingers crossed that he comes out of it okay.
Best wishes.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:35 am

This is very sad news indeed.

LTB's posts have been a highlight of this forum: he comes across as an intelligent and compassionate man.

Sending peace, love and grace in my prayers.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:38 am

PiersEIN wrote:It is with great sadness that I have to report that one of our favourite posters, 'Like The Bike' aka Harley Payette is likely to soon to go offline forever.
I know this is "Off Topic" but I feel that you need to know what's happening with one of our favourite FECC members.

IMO this thread is very ON TOPIC since it concerns a person who amongst others is the heart and soul of FECC with his extensive, thoughful and informative posts. I hope the mods will award this thead with a sticky for the upcoming weeks so we can follow how he is doing. From this place I wish Harley and his family all the best in these difficult times. It is so sad to hear this. Man, 43 years of age: life is so unfair!

Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:46 am

I always considered (and said so) likethebike/Harley's posts among the greatest, most insightful and best informed posts (not just about Elvis but about popular music in general) I have ever read on this forum. I was missing his contributions. But you don't think about things like this.

My thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family. I really hope he pulls through. Thank you Piers for sharing this difficult news with us.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:59 am

He is so awesome! I hate to hear this! I'm at a loss for words...... ALL MY BEST & POSITIVE THOUGHTS FOR HIM!

JEFF d
EP fan

Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:34 pm

That is such bad news - LTB is one of the outstanding posters on this, and other forums, always eloquent and articulate, and every inch a true fan. He's in my thoughts and prayers.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:44 pm

Oh no, how awful !!

LTB's posts are like mini novel and beautifully written - have enjoyed them all for years. All my thoughts are with him.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:46 pm

Very sad news indeed. I sincerely hope he pulls through. A REAL, positive thinking, intelligent Elvis fan.

Brian

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:49 pm

My thoughts are with LTB and his family. I hope everything turns out ok for him.

It is always sad to here something like this.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:07 pm

I'm so sorry to read this.My thoughts are LTB and his family at this time.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:08 pm

A chill went up my spine when I read this news.

I haven't posted to FECC in a long time, but I've been visiting on and off recently, and this was like an arrow to the heart.

I'm a sentimental ass, given to a lot of nostalgic reflection of one kind or another on occasion, and I was not long ago thinking that my two all-time favourite posters here are N880EP and likethebike, and how I wished that they would both continue to grace the EP universe with their presence for many more years to come. It has always been a joy to encounter a new post (or an old one) from both of these guys for different reasons. I remember them clashing one time in a thread when I felt it wasn't needed. And I remember not liking it one damn bit. Even I got into a couple of very minor scrapes with LTB when our passions got a bit inflamed, but I gotta say it was water off a duck's back -- no way could I ever seriously take the hump with LTB, I don't think, or stay rankled for long.

In terms of his basic demeanour, musical knowledge, eloquence, fair-minded championing of Elvis, solid political views, and all-round basic decency, LTB/Harley is without peer on this board and the Elvis fan world generally. I can't tell you how many times I've gone through a post of his and found so much to like about his solid, idiosyncratic approach -- usually when Elvis is being maligned for something and LTB is there to offer a more nuanced/balanced view. That can (and does) have a very uplifting and calming effect. I'm sure many who've taken a shine to LTB know what I mean. He's the last person I'd ever want something like this to happen to.

I was just going back through my PMs (we communicated briefly) and I quickly found a remark that is very fitting of his personality: "Generally, I don't like confrontational posts". I would say that LTB, while having very firm views of his own, has done a good job in his years here staying true to that credo.

No matter what, and as goofy as this sounds, he'll always be that guy that was the angel on your little fan shoulder gently saying, "Hey, take another listen to the 'Spinout' album", or, "Give 'Follow That Dream' a fresh watch" -- just to offer up two of his many pearls.

The situation for LTB sounds grim. I'm hoping he'll pull through or at least live his final moments free of pain. We're all a little richer for having had him around.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:23 pm

Sad to hear this, my thoughts are with LTB

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:28 pm

I am truly very saddened to read the news. He was extremly helpful and polite in his private communications with me and came off as a very decent man, with a lot of knowledge on the subjects being discussed. I wish he makes a complete recovery. Keep fighting LTB.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:30 pm

Very sad to hear this bad news.
I understand that there is little chance he recover but when there is life, there is hope.

I wish Harley all the best and hope heĀ“ll recover, I, like I am sure all other fellow members of this forum, love reading his insightsful posts.

Lennart