Off Topic Messages

Andy Kaufman on The Tonight Show!!!

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:17 am

http://youtu.be/r59AWfhwpPg

Listen to the girls screaming, what an awesome performance, and it's from when Elvis was alive!!!!! I saw this when it first aired!! 8)

Re: Andy Kaufman on The Tonight Show!!!

Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:06 am

ian wrote:http://youtu.be/r59AWfhwpPg

Listen to the girls screaming, what an awesome performance, and it's from when Elvis was alive!!!!! I saw this when it first aired!! 8)

The irony is that he makes a better job of that song than Elvis did at that time !

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:45 pm

ColinB wrote:

The irony is that he makes a better job of that song than Elvis did at that time !

thats because elvis already performed that song more then a thousand times by 1977. And andy kaufman didnt.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:21 pm

Then Elvis should have been a thousands times better, shouldn't he?

Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:56 pm

Rob wrote:Then Elvis should have been a thousands times better, shouldn't he?

no he should have been thousands of time more bored then andy kaufman :wink:

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:05 pm

I'm bored with my job, too. If I do it half-assed, I won't have it for long.

What's up with that?

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:51 pm

Rob wrote:I'm bored with my job, too. If I do it half-assed, I won't have it for long.

What's up with that?

the fans who where there didnt seem to mind rob ;) Do you have fans who applaud u for half-assed work as u sayd ?

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:53 pm

No applause here. Just several people waiting to take my job.

But I keep tossing scarves, so they seem to be happy.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:56 pm

Rob wrote:No applause here. Just several people waiting to take my job.

But I keep tossing scarves, so they seem to be happy.

:smt038 Here you go, Rob. And I don't even ask for a scarf. :smt006

Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:24 am

Andy Kaufman channels Elvis like no other, and the people in the audience react to it, and you can experience and feel how truly separated Elvis is from every other artist in existence!!!!! Even though the real Elvis isn't on The Tonight Show, you can only imagine what it would have been like if Elvis actually did walk out there, it would have been absolutely incredible!!!!! 8)

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:39 am

I remember watching it the night it was on. When Elvis was still alive. It was a stunner.

phpBB [video]

Gosh, we miss you Andy.

phpBB [video]

rjm

Tue May 07, 2013 10:42 am

rjm wrote:I remember watching it the night it was on. When Elvis was still alive. It was a stunner.

phpBB [video]

Gosh, we miss you Andy.

phpBB [video]

rjm

He was one of a kind!!!!! 8)

Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:12 pm

Andy was Elvis's favorite impersonator. Andy was a lifelong fan ,wrote Elvis a letter and went to vegas to find him (reportedly he suceeded). After Elvis died, Andy retired his Elvis imitation out of respect. He brought it back due to popular demand; He played Love ME on the Johhny Cash Show. He played it straight though. It was a beautiful and surreal thing to see. It's on YouTube.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:37 am

After the show,,Baby!

Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:05 pm

Is this on DVD somewhere? I have a lot of Carson's DVDs but don't recall this being on any of the ones I bought.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:27 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
ColinB wrote:

thats because elvis already performed that song more then a thousand times by 1977. And andy kaufman didnt.

What about all the other horrible performances of Elvis' in 1976 and 1977... was it because he was bored? There are MANY entertainers in the business today that have performed their "hits" alot longer than Elvis did and yet they find a way to still make the performances enjoyable...

Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:34 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
ColinB wrote:

What about all the other horrible performances of Elvis' in 1976 and 1977... was it because he was bored? There are MANY entertainers in the business today that have performed their "hits" alot longer than Elvis did and yet they find a way to still make the performances enjoyable...

Elvis did not perform his hits as many times as the performers that are still around today from the 50's/60's. He is not my cup of tea, but Neil Sedaka basically plays all his famous songs, full versions, and with energy. I am sure he has played Calendar Girl way more than Elvis played Hound Dog. There is absolutely no excuse for the poor treatment Elvis gave his classics. And then he gives a full performance of Little Darlin?

Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:42 am

r&b wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
ColinB wrote:

Elvis did not perform his hits as many times as the performers that are still around today from the 50's/60's. He is not my cup of tea, but Neil Sedaka basically plays all his famous songs, full versions, and with energy. I am sure he has played Calendar Girl way more than Elvis played Hound Dog. There is absolutely no excuse for the poor treatment Elvis gave his classics. And then he gives a full performance of Little Darlin?

Springsteen has been performing since the 70's and still does a tremendous job on Born to Run and other classics from that era... Billy Joel's another one...

Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:59 am

r&b wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
ColinB wrote:

Well, there may not be an "excuse," but perhaps an explanation. I'm not sure "boredom" quite explains it. The rehearsals from TTWII SE and The Lost Performances VHS (and other unreleased outtakes), show an interest in his own classic hits. Through 1970, he seemed to have fun with "Hound Dog." I can understand a reluctance with songs like "Teddy Bear." He didn't do, on balance, very many "teeny bop" songs, and I don't think he ever really liked to. (The singing on a few tracks from Loving You was quite mannered. He was already distancing himself from the movie material.) But after a certain time, he lumped them all together, both literally and as an idea. He also was concerned with "the rock and roll revival" thing that happened in the early '70s, and didn't want a part of that - he never said so, per se, but it was clear.

I'm not sure he didn't like many of the songs so much as what they started to represent at the time. So, despite fans' desire for them, he should have just dropped them. Until such time as he found a way to do them comfortably. The thing is, when you look at it now, he didn't have all that much time left. Other situations got the better of him, and while sometimes there was focus, a lot of times he was quite distracted by non-musical concerns. It's like he said about his initial rise to stardom "it all happened so fast."

I don't think he took the time to reflect on the situation. He just reacted, and did what he thought was required of him. We can't really know what was on his mind, because on the rare occasions when reporters got to talk to him, they never asked the right questions. In 1972, no one asked "why do you seem to rush through the medley of your classic early hits?" No one had the nerve, and they didn't want to kill the good vibe. So, the fans, including those who considered themselves reporters or critics, had some culpability, too. When you accept anything, you get anything.

rjm
Last edited by rjm on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:44 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtfKhee-uqU
Confidence!