Off Topic Messages

Re: World Snooker

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:14 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:Anyone bar the self-pitying attention-seeking O'Sullivan for the title.

While I can sympathise with O'Sullivan's battles with depression etc, I don't agree with one rule for him, one rule for another with regards to the last year. And while his style is entertaining to a degree, I don't find him entertaining. His dour disposition and ultra-serious nature really isn't going to get people tuning in.

Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:10 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:Anyone bar the self-pitying attention-seeking O'Sullivan for the title.

While I can sympathise with O'Sullivan's battles with depression etc, I don't agree with one rule for him, one rule for another with regards to the last year. And while his style is entertaining to a degree, I don't find him entertaining. His dour disposition and ultra-serious nature really isn't going to get people tuning in.

Ultra-serious nature?

Most Snooker fans and Former World Champions would totally disagree with you.

If you don't find O'Sullivan entertaining then you obviously don't find Snooker that entertaining then.

Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:37 pm

Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

Ultra-serious nature?

If you don't find O'Sullivan entertaining then you obviously don't find Snooker that entertaining then.

They can disagree with me all they like, but I'm entitled to have my own opinion - although sometimes I wonder if having your opinion on these boards is forbidden.

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:01 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

Ultra-serious nature?

They can disagree with me all they like, but I'm entitled to have my own opinion - although sometimes I wonder if having your opinion on these boards is forbidden.

Yes, of course you can have your opinion but what have you based this opinion on?

What other Snooker player would you say is more exciting than O' Sullivan, out of today's players?

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:56 pm

Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

Ultra-serious nature?

Yes, of course you can have your opinion but what have you based this opinion on?

What other Snooker player would you say is more exciting than O' Sullivan, out of today's players?

Very likely you only made the comment about O' Sullivan not being that entertaining as a way of getting a reaction from me.

I doubt very much that you even follow Snooker.

No, of course I don't, Bodie. That's why I started a thread on it and went to Sheffield last week. What an idiotic statement.

I said quite clearly that O'Sullivan's game is entertaining, but he is a dour player who seems to get little enjoyment from the game. I don't want to watch someone who is simply a potting machine, I want to watch someone who is enjoying the game they are privilaged to be earning a living from. O'Sullivan doesn't have enjoyment from the game or, in many respects, much of a personality. He'll mumble that his game wasn't good enough in each and every interview. He might smile occasionally. If we're lucky. Or it might be a touch of flatulence. It's hard to tell. The only excitement I get from watching O'Sullivan is when someone beats him. I know many disagree with me - hell, people disagree with me on most things - but I have my opinion and that's it.

Wed May 01, 2013 12:17 am

poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

Ultra-serious nature?

Very likely you only made the comment about O' Sullivan not being that entertaining as a way of getting a reaction from me.

I doubt very much that you even follow Snooker.

No, of course I don't, Bodie. That's why I started a thread on it and went to Sheffield last week. What an idiotic statement.

I said quite clearly that O'Sullivan's game is entertaining, but he is a dour player who seems to get little enjoyment from the game. I don't want to watch someone who is simply a potting machine, I want to watch someone who is enjoying the game they are privilaged to be earning a living from. O'Sullivan doesn't have enjoyment from the game or, in many respects, much of a personality. He'll mumble that his game wasn't good enough in each and every interview. He might smile occasionally. If we're lucky. Or it might be a touch of flatulence. It's hard to tell. The only excitement I get from watching O'Sullivan is when someone beats him. I know many disagree with me - hell, people disagree with me on most things - but I have my opinion and that's it.

If you knew anything about O' Sullivan you would know that he loves Snooker and makes the game entertaining with his style of play.
He is not just simply a potting machine but one of the best safety players there has ever been. Not just my opinion but former champion's opinion's.
As for exciting, as i said, the most exciting player since Jimmy White cause you never know what could happen when O' Sullivan plays, he plays for the excitement of the crowd.

As a person, he is so unpredictable, that makes him exciting.

Wed May 01, 2013 2:01 am

Ronnie O'Sullivan played amazing today against Stuart Bingham, he never looked like missing and his pot success rate at one point in the match was at a massive 98%. He is probably the most naturally gifted player the game has ever seen, and when he's on form he's practically un-playable.It looks as though Ronnie will easily get through to the semi-final with a 7-1 lead over Bingham. It will be good if Judd Trump get's their too because Judd will probably be the biggest test for Ronnie this year if he's playing well.

Wed May 01, 2013 2:18 am

flamingstar81 wrote:Ronnie O'Sullivan played amazing today against Stuart Bingham, he never looked like missing and his pot success rate at one point in the match was at a massive 98%. He is probably the most naturally gifted player the game has ever seen, and when he's on form he's practically un-playable.It looks as though Ronnie will easily get through to the semi-final with a 7-1 lead over Bingham. It will be good if Judd Trump get's their too because Judd will probably be the biggest test for Ronnie this year if he's playing well.

I find Trump much more enjoyable to watch. He seems a personable chap who enjoys life, enjoys the game and plays like hell...but not as if his life depends on it. He is happy to play to the crowd once the frame is under his belt, and seems to appreciate the sport far more than Sullivan. As for his possible match against O'Sullivan, well it will be interesting. He was crap this morning, and trailed 7-2 at one point, but then reeled off five frames in a row in the space of about an hour to square things up tonight. The one thing Trump doesn't have is consistency, and part of me wonders (going by his twitter feed) if that is partly because he's busy enjoying being young at the same time as being a snooker player - and I'm not sure the two go hand in hand if you want to be the best you can be. But if I was in his position, I'd be living the high life too. You're only young once, and snooker and his talent will still be there in five years time when he calms down a bit.

Wed May 01, 2013 10:05 pm

O' Sullivan vs. Trump in the semi-final.

Starts tomorrow at 1pm.

That's gonna be a great game.

Wed May 01, 2013 10:13 pm

Yeah, a pain I'm out all afternoon!

Wed May 01, 2013 10:41 pm

poormadpeter wrote:Yeah, a pain I'm out all afternoon!

I think its gonna be a close match.

O' Sullivan made some silly mistakes today due to a lack of concentration.

He won't be able to do that against Trump if he wants to go through to the final.

Wed May 01, 2013 11:38 pm

Well, I think it's a pretty safe bet that the winner of that semi-final is very likely to be the winner of the final as well.

Thu May 02, 2013 12:04 am

poormadpeter wrote:Well, I think it's a pretty safe bet that the winner of that semi-final is very likely to be the winner of the final as well.

Yep, if anyone is gonna beat Ronnie, its Judd.

Thu May 02, 2013 12:09 am

Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Well, I think it's a pretty safe bet that the winner of that semi-final is very likely to be the winner of the final as well.

Yep, if anyone is gonna beat Ronnie, its Judd.

here's hoping.

Thu May 02, 2013 11:25 pm

O'Sullivan said yesterday that he only played this year's tournament because he needed the money. During his career so far, his earnings are estimated at 6 million pounds. Perhaps at a time when many are living on the breadline, he should try doing the same for a while - and keep his mouth shut.

Thu May 02, 2013 11:48 pm

poormadpeter wrote:O'Sullivan said yesterday that he only played this year's tournament because he needed the money. During his career so far, his earnings are estimated at 6 million pounds. Perhaps at a time when many are living on the breadline, he should try doing the same for a while - and keep his mouth shut.

Out of that £6 million he has probably paid a few million in tax, plus all his expenses travelling around the world, takes his toll on his career earnings.

I doubt he is skint but just being honest that he could do with the extra money.

Sometimes being honest has its downfall's cause people are too quick to judge a him and get jealous of his well-earned success.

He would find it very hard to keep his mouth shut whilst being interviewed.

If he turned round and said he doesn't want to be interviewed, he would very likely get put down for that.

Fri May 03, 2013 1:20 am

That's 6 million from the game alone, without things like advertising etc. I just find it somewhat disturbing that someone who is a multi-millionaire has the guts to say he needs some money when many of the population are getting their food from food banks. How insensitive can you get?

Fri May 03, 2013 6:06 am

Well maybe he has a lot expenses?

Fri May 03, 2013 1:28 pm

poormadpeter wrote:That's 6 million from the game alone, without things like advertising etc. I just find it somewhat disturbing that someone who is a multi-millionaire has the guts to say he needs some money when many of the population are getting their food from food banks. How insensitive can you get?

He said that he only came back to this year's World Championship cause he needs the money and said that he is not a multi-millionaire so you work it out if you think he is a multi-millionaire.

There is only a very small percentage of people in this country that get their food from food banks, that's a ridiculous statement to make.

I know quite a number of people who have no desire to work and allow the government to fund their lifestyle while people like myself are working hard and paying for things that many scroungers get for nothing.

I like Ronnie for his honesty and that he wants the best for his children.

His dislike for being a celebrity is totally understandable with the way this country treats celebs and all he wants is a quiet life with his family and friends and having just enough money to enjoy his life.

If you feel so sorry for people on the poverty line then do some charity work and stop criticizing those who have made something with their lives, sounds to me like your jealous.

Sat May 04, 2013 6:07 pm

poormadpeter wrote:

:wtf:

Ronnie O'Sullivan is the most down to earth person in the business ! And with a good sense of humour !

And you are exaggerating his so called depression! He said "I don't think I suffered with depression, I don't think I'm a depressed type of person - I just think I suffered a depression to do with snooker, and I just couldn't handle it."

He loves the sport and this competition ! He said this him self!

Mon May 06, 2013 11:38 pm

Ronnie wins his 5th World Title :D

Greatest Snooker player of all time.

Tue May 07, 2013 3:21 pm

Sometimes one can say very little and just admire brilliance. What a player.

Tue May 07, 2013 11:13 pm

8) Yes i saw the quarter finals @sheffield and the Murphy/Trump match was THE best really good quality and couldn't pick the winner till the end of the last 53 minute frame¬!
rest i watched at home...... briliant play by O Sullivan and a deserved winner,. The fact you cannot believe anything he says and has divorce and maintanence of kids etc and lawyers to pay is the reason he needs the money!¬ in Snooker scene clive everton exposes just what a nutter Mark Allen is too!¬ mad guy indeed! Ronnie could win more IF he wants too? thats the question....certainly Barry Hawkins made him work hard for it and if Barry hadn't made errors at key times the final could have been tighter, but Ronnie could have beaten anyone ND A RECORD 6 CENTURY'S IN THE FINAL TOO. i have been watching snooker for 36 years and seeing even a few matches at the Crucible was superb atmosphere. 8)