Off Topic Messages

Why digital sources used

Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:35 am

Still wonder why most reissue labels use digital source for lps and not the actual original analogue lp masters?
We vinyl collectors don't want reissues from digital cd masters.Ithink it's where the labels are too cheap or tight or lazy to do work on them do them half assed.And charge crazy prices for it. :wtf:

Re: Why digital sources used

Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:07 am

Do you actually know most re-issue labels use digital sources for their vinyl releases? Please list these re-issue labels.

Re: Why digital sources used

Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:46 am

Where's Michael Fremer when you need him?

Re: Why digital sources used

Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:49 am

Where's Michael Richards when you need him?

Re: Why digital sources used

Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:02 am

Matthew wrote:Do you actually know most re-issue labels use digital sources for their vinyl releases? Please list these re-issue labels.


Music on Vinyl
Friday Music
Back To Black
Back On Black

They try to fool or confuse us by using terms like "from the analoge masters", "from the master tapes" etc. But they are not actually cut (!) from the original analoge master tapes. They are digital transfers...sometimes not even high definition digital transfers which makes them nothing but a cd transfered to vinyl in many cases.

If you want to get true analoge pressings go for either the original pressings or check out re-issues by labels such as:

Analogue Productions (The six Jim Morrison era Doors albums on 45 rpm...incredible stuff + Elvis Is Back on 45 rpm too...!)
Speakers Corner (They have among others pressed a fabulous issue of From Elvis In Memphis which sounds much, much better and true to the original pressing than both the new Friday Music pressing and MFSL´s beefed up pressings! Some of their other Elvis pressings are still available too)
Sundazed (Check out among others the greatsounding mono pressings of The Byrds catalogue)
Audio Fidelity (A Space In Time by Ten Years After have never sounded better than this)

Sincerely MB280E

Re: Why digital sources used

Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:07 am

MB280E wrote:
Matthew wrote:Do you actually know most re-issue labels use digital sources for their vinyl releases? Please list these re-issue labels.


Music on Vinyl
Friday Music
Back To Black
Back On Black

They try to fool or confuse us by using terms like "from the analoge masters", "from the master tapes" etc. But they are not actually cut (!) from the original analoge master tapes. They are digital transfers...sometimes not even high definition digital transfers which makes them nothing but a cd transfered to vinyl in many cases.

If you want to get true analoge pressings go for either the original pressings or check out re-issues by labels such as:

Analogue Productions (The six Jim Morrison era Doors albums on 45 rpm...incredible stuff + Elvis Is Back on 45 rpm too...!)
Speakers Corner (They have among others pressed a fabulous issue of From Elvis In Memphis which sounds much, much better and true to the original pressing than both the new Friday Music pressing and MFSL´s beefed up pressings! Some of their other Elvis pressings are still available too)
Sundazed (Check out among others the greatsounding mono pressings of The Byrds catalogue)
Audio Fidelity (A Space In Time by Ten Years After have never sounded better than this)

Sincerely MB280E


There's a suspect PD label out in Italy called Doxy I'd avoid as well. Simply Vinyl were a bit iffy with their sources back in the day also. I'm only recently getting back into vinyl. I've had From Elvis In Memphis for a few years but I'd need to check which issue it is. I believe it is the Speakers Corner edition.

Re: Why digital sources used

Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:07 am

Tried to listen to my Jungle Room Sessions FTD Vinyl again a few days back (including a new needle) and I'm still very disappointed. It sounds dull and flat, not the slightest bit better than the CD.

Re: Why digital sources used

Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:51 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:Tried to listen to my Jungle Room Sessions FTD Vinyl again a few days back (including a new needle) and I'm still very disappointed. It sounds dull and flat, not the slightest bit better than the CD.

I suspect the source is either the CD or some 16bit/44.1kHz source. If I recall Dennis Ferrante had prepared the music before FTD began, I think for a future Essential release, so it goes back to a 90s digital source most likely, save for the additional content of course.

So yes, it's questionable whether it's worth bothering with some of these FTD vinyl from a purely audio perspective unless they are being made from high resolution sources. I very much doubt it's a 100% analog journey from tape to lacquer.

Re: Why digital sources used

Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:51 pm

ritchie valens wrote:Still wonder why most reissue labels use digital source for lps and not the actual original analogue lp masters?
We vinyl collectors don't want reissues from digital cd masters.Ithink it's where the labels are too cheap or tight or lazy to do work on them do them half assed.And charge crazy prices for it. :wtf:

That's a good question since they are selling so many millions and millions, and millions, upon millions of copies of vinyl now days. Their investment needs to be much higher!!!! :roll:

Re: Why digital sources used

Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:06 pm

One reason why they go digital may be the condition of the original master tapes. If they are worn out or maybe even oxidized they may not be very usable. Remember, these tapes are most likely used for re-issues on more than 1 occation...

Sincerely MB280E

Re: Why digital sources used

Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:31 am

I suspect the main reason digital sources end up being used by some vinyl labels is ease and convenience. Some will also play the "experience vinyl" card for the nostalgia and event of it, rather than the true reason many prefer vinyl - sound quality.

Vinyl sourced from high resolution digital can sound fine, and better than a CD counterpart sourced from the same high resolution digital source. However, vinyl sourced from CD resolution digital sources is utterly pointless and serves no real benefit to the listener at all outside of maybe longevity of the medium.

Re: Why digital sources used

Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:34 am

Wonder if Rhino uses original analogue source tapes? It doesn't have to be from 1st generation masters.Using the original lp masters that were used to produce the actual lps should be the source used.
Don't buy the new Pink floyd reissues on vinyl i heard they used remix tapes for the lps.Analogue productions,Friday music, Speakers corner used analogue tapes for the EP reissues why doesn't Sony or Ftd do this? Like i said before release the lp the way it supposed to be from analogue not shitty cd masters im fed up with this crap.Ill stick with my orignal vinyls of EP till Ftd does it right.Get with it EJ.