Off Topic Messages

Re: Margaret Thatcher, Former UK PM, Dead At 87

Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:40 am

poormadpeter wrote:
daylon wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
ColinB wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:...I'm not sure the Tory's will get a majority next time.
The traditional Lib Dem voters (students) will move their alliance to labour after the fiasco over fees, for example.
And I'm sure many who thought "let's give Cameron a chance" (or the floating voter, if you like) will also go elsewhere -
but WHERE they go (UKIP or labour) will make the difference I think.


I reckon Labour will swing it.

The UKIP resurgence is due to a temporary 'protest' vote.

Ed Milliband, as something of a new-kid-on-the-block, is comparatively free of old baggage.

The electorate will give him his chance.

The big danger is Scottish independence !

Without those Labour voters from north-of-the-border, the rest of the UK will too easily fall into Tory hands !


I think the chances of Scottish independence is actually quite slim. While many are making their voices heard now, the chances are that the undecided voters will get to the polling station and go with the devil they know rather than the devil they don't. Recent polls show only between 30-40% in favour of independence, so I doubt that a gain of 10-20% will be made to make it even a close contest. For which I, personally, am glad - if only for extremely personal reasons...but I wouldn't let my Scottish friends know my thoughts or they'll try to behead me next time I see them!


I wouldn't be so sure about that PMP. It is going to be close. I voted Labour in the UK election and SNP in the Scottish election where the SNP won a landslide victory up here....We have PR as a voting system in Scotland. Which usually means that no party should have an overall majority(in Scotland). The SNP won an overall majority..... it wasn't predicted in any of the polls leading up to that election, it came as a complete surprise.

Alex Salmond is a very clever man, he's head and shoulders above the majority of UK politicians, even Rupert Murdoch described him as the "most brilliant politician in the UK". Salmonds current ratings are good according to the Scottish opinion polls.

At the moment I am undecided but veering towards a YES vote. Salmond is trusted by the electorate up here and for the most part has done a very good job. He will present a good case, that is for sure.
What could happen though, is people will vote for independence if they think there is any possibility of a tory return 6 months later in the UK election. Not the right way to decide on such a major issue but it is a very real possibility. The Scottish independence vote is September 2014 and the UK election will be no later than May 2015.
Interestingly the Scottish edition of the Sun newspaper are going to remain neutral in the independence vote. They usually back the party that looks likely to win . This to me shows how close it will be.

Also in the summer of 2014, Glasgow hosts the Commonwealth games and it is also the 700th anniversary of Bannockburn and there is also Homecoming Scotland events..(.people with Scottish descent are meant to come visit their ancestral home..something like that) . Salmond will play on all of this, building up on Scottish patriotism for a vote a few weeks later. Patrotism are not the right reasons to vote yes but some will.

Rocknroller is right, if we get independence, we would no longer need to worry about the tories. I think that will be a factor.(right or wrong)



Salmond might be clever and a good politician, but I don't think this is about winning votes, this is an issue about gut feeling. In most cases, people already know how they feel on the subject and are unlikely to be swayed by one argument or the other.


I follow the independence debate quite closely and I think many are misjudging the situation.

30-40% are in favour...yes generally this is the case but the number against is around the same. The trouble with the pro union biased media is that they add the undecideds to the NO vote. Also take note that many Pollsters have influences from political parties as they have ex MPs sitting on their boards, nice little earner. One poll company predicted a majority for Labour in the last Scottish elections when in fact the majority was for the SNP, a good 8-10% difference as I recall. Dont be fooled by the polls.

I disagree about being swayed though, I have saw some real diehards voters from other parties going to the independence side. I rarely have seen a shift the other way.

The trouble with the Tories, Liberal Democrats and Labour is that they are not much difference between their policies and their policies are aimed at middle England, the parties are generally right wing. Scotland on the other hand has and will probably continue to be slightly left of central socialist which closely matches what the SNP party stands for. This is why they were voted in twice in a row.

If you truly want to be rid of the Tories then voting for Independence is your only choice. Do you want free education and free health care to remain? If you vote NO then the tories are planning more cuts, reduction in benefits and decreased funding for the NHS along with Pro trident, low wage culture and reduced workers rights while happily changing the law to suit themselves. Thats the reality. In a Yes Scotland that will not happen.

http://www.newsnetscotland.com/
http://wingsoverscotland.com/

Re: Margaret Thatcher, Former UK PM, Dead At 87

Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:06 am

rjm wrote:
iplayastrat wrote:Wow.

Different countries altogether, but if former President Jimmy Carter
had died and Republicans were celebrating the way some of you are,
I'd be ashamed.

RIP Margaret Thatcher


You are joking, right? If you believe, as is the customary belief, that he was a well-meaning screw-up who put human rights before electoral concerns, fine. But c'mon! Maybe he was a failure, but he failed trying to do right! He is about peace. Nobody's perfect in that way, and he has stumbled, but c'mon! Thatcher?

I said "God rest her soul."

rjm



I wasn't joking at all. Neither was I taking a political stand.
It's just a matter of common decency.

Re: Margaret Thatcher, Former UK PM, Dead At 87

Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:26 am

iplayastrat wrote:
rjm wrote:
iplayastrat wrote:Wow.

Different countries altogether, but if former President Jimmy Carter
had died and Republicans were celebrating the way some of you are,
I'd be ashamed.

RIP Margaret Thatcher


You are joking, right? If you believe, as is the customary belief, that he was a well-meaning screw-up who put human rights before electoral concerns, fine. But c'mon! Maybe he was a failure, but he failed trying to do right! He is about peace. Nobody's perfect in that way, and he has stumbled, but c'mon! Thatcher?

I said "God rest her soul."

rjm



I wasn't joking at all. Neither was I taking a political stand.
It's just a matter of common decency.


I take your point. I am not celebrating anyone's death: I'll won't lie and say I felt sad, because, well, I didn't. But I'm not one of the celebrants. I will not, though, condemn those who feel they have good reason. It's not that long ago, and many people's parents and grandparents were profoundly, and permanently affected by her actions during that time. And they have been hurting a long time. Is "celebration" a proper response? No. But it's their lives, so many lives affected, and I can't pass judgement.

rjm

Re: Margaret Thatcher, Former UK PM, Dead At 87

Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:16 pm

rjm wrote:...I am not celebrating anyone's death: I'll won't lie and say I felt sad, because, well, I didn't. But I'm not one of the celebrants. I will not, though, condemn those who feel they have good reason. It's not that long ago, and many people's parents and grandparents were profoundly, and permanently affected by her actions during that time. And they have been hurting a long time. Is "celebration" a proper response? No. But it's their lives, so many lives affected, and I can't pass judgement.

rjm


As I posted in another thread:

"In death, she should be afforded all the respect, sensitivity & common decency that she showed to the workers & families whose lives she blighted when in power."

I could have added 'compassion' to that list,too.........

Re: Margaret Thatcher, Former UK PM, Dead At 87

Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:55 pm

ColinB wrote:
rjm wrote:...I am not celebrating anyone's death: I'll won't lie and say I felt sad, because, well, I didn't. But I'm not one of the celebrants. I will not, though, condemn those who feel they have good reason. It's not that long ago, and many people's parents and grandparents were profoundly, and permanently affected by her actions during that time. And they have been hurting a long time. Is "celebration" a proper response? No. But it's their lives, so many lives affected, and I can't pass judgement.

rjm


As I posted in another thread:

"In death, she should be afforded all the respect, sensitivity & common decency that she showed to the workers & families whose lives she blighted when in power."

I could have added 'compassion' to that list,too.........


Doesn't that just make people as insensitive (and therefore no better) than she was? What happened to practice what you preach? I see no point in moaning about someone's insensitivity and lack of empathy and compassion, if you then react in the same way. It's petty and hypocritical.

Re: Margaret Thatcher, Former UK PM, Dead At 87

Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:24 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
ColinB wrote:
rjm wrote:...I am not celebrating anyone's death: I'll won't lie and say I felt sad, because, well, I didn't. But I'm not one of the celebrants. I will not, though, condemn those who feel they have good reason. It's not that long ago, and many people's parents and grandparents were profoundly, and permanently affected by her actions during that time. And they have been hurting a long time. Is "celebration" a proper response? No. But it's their lives, so many lives affected, and I can't pass judgement.

rjm


As I posted in another thread:

"In death, she should be afforded all the respect, sensitivity & common decency that she showed to the workers & families whose lives she blighted when in power."

I could have added 'compassion' to that list,too.........


Doesn't that just make people as insensitive (and therefore no better) than she was? What happened to practice what you preach? I see no point in moaning about someone's insensitivity and lack of empathy and compassion, if you then react in the same way. It's petty and hypocritical.


If we're into Biblical quotes, how about:

"Do unto others as they would do unto you"

Re: Margaret Thatcher, Former UK PM, Dead At 87

Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:20 pm

ColinB wrote:
rjm wrote:...I am not celebrating anyone's death: I'll won't lie and say I felt sad, because, well, I didn't. But I'm not one of the celebrants. I will not, though, condemn those who feel they have good reason. It's not that long ago, and many people's parents and grandparents were profoundly, and permanently affected by her actions during that time. And they have been hurting a long time. Is "celebration" a proper response? No. But it's their lives, so many lives affected, and I can't pass judgement.

rjm


As I posted in another thread:

"In death, she should be afforded all the respect, sensitivity & common decency that she showed to the workers & families whose lives she blighted when in power."

I could have added 'compassion' to that list,too.........


Your moment was when she was alive. All you (along with all the workers & families whose lives she blighted) had to do was formulate alternative policies, present them to the electorate and form an alternative government. You had 3 general elections in which to act. What was stopping you?

Re: Margaret Thatcher, Former UK PM, Dead At 87

Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:22 pm

jungleroombear wrote:
ColinB wrote:
rjm wrote:...I am not celebrating anyone's death: I'll won't lie and say I felt sad, because, well, I didn't. But I'm not one of the celebrants. I will not, though, condemn those who feel they have good reason. It's not that long ago, and many people's parents and grandparents were profoundly, and permanently affected by her actions during that time. And they have been hurting a long time. Is "celebration" a proper response? No. But it's their lives, so many lives affected, and I can't pass judgement.

rjm


As I posted in another thread:

"In death, she should be afforded all the respect, sensitivity & common decency that she showed to the workers & families whose lives she blighted when in power."

I could have added 'compassion' to that list,too.........


Your moment was when she was alive. All you (along with all the workers & families whose lives she blighted) had to do was formulate alternative policies, present them to the electorate and form an alternative government. You had 3 general elections in which to act. What was stopping you?




We did but scotland is only a small country !!!

Re: Margaret Thatcher, Former UK PM, Dead At 87

Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:54 pm

rocknroller wrote:
jungleroombear wrote:
ColinB wrote:
rjm wrote:...I am not celebrating anyone's death: I'll won't lie and say I felt sad, because, well, I didn't. But I'm not one of the celebrants. I will not, though, condemn those who feel they have good reason. It's not that long ago, and many people's parents and grandparents were profoundly, and permanently affected by her actions during that time. And they have been hurting a long time. Is "celebration" a proper response? No. But it's their lives, so many lives affected, and I can't pass judgement.

rjm


As I posted in another thread:

"In death, she should be afforded all the respect, sensitivity & common decency that she showed to the workers & families whose lives she blighted when in power."

I could have added 'compassion' to that list,too.........


Your moment was when she was alive. All you (along with all the workers & families whose lives she blighted) had to do was formulate alternative policies, present them to the electorate and form an alternative government. You had 3 general elections in which to act. What was stopping you?




We did but scotland is only a small country !!!



:smt023

As for the post above your one r&r... That was an excellent idea, why didn't the plebs just do that at the bloody time. Must have been because the majority were thick!!! Just shows you, sometimes the most simple of ideas are often the best....missed oppurtunity.

Re: Margaret Thatcher, Former UK PM, Dead At 87

Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:08 pm

rocknroller wrote:
jungleroombear wrote:
ColinB wrote:
rjm wrote:...I am not celebrating anyone's death: I'll won't lie and say I felt sad, because, well, I didn't. But I'm not one of the celebrants. I will not, though, condemn those who feel they have good reason. It's not that long ago, and many people's parents and grandparents were profoundly, and permanently affected by her actions during that time. And they have been hurting a long time. Is "celebration" a proper response? No. But it's their lives, so many lives affected, and I can't pass judgement.

rjm


As I posted in another thread:

"In death, she should be afforded all the respect, sensitivity & common decency that she showed to the workers & families whose lives she blighted when in power."

I could have added 'compassion' to that list,too.........


Your moment was when she was alive. All you (along with all the workers & families whose lives she blighted) had to do was formulate alternative policies, present them to the electorate and form an alternative government. You had 3 general elections in which to act. What was stopping you?






We did but scotland is only a small country !!!


Independence should right that and other injustices and its long overdue. With a bit of luck Wales will follow suit and we can all stand or fall as independent countries.

Re: Margaret Thatcher, Former UK PM, Dead At 87

Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:19 pm

ColinB wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
ColinB wrote:
rjm wrote:...I am not celebrating anyone's death: I'll won't lie and say I felt sad, because, well, I didn't. But I'm not one of the celebrants. I will not, though, condemn those who feel they have good reason. It's not that long ago, and many people's parents and grandparents were profoundly, and permanently affected by her actions during that time. And they have been hurting a long time. Is "celebration" a proper response? No. But it's their lives, so many lives affected, and I can't pass judgement.

rjm


As I posted in another thread:

"In death, she should be afforded all the respect, sensitivity & common decency that she showed to the workers & families whose lives she blighted when in power."

I could have added 'compassion' to that list,too.........


Doesn't that just make people as insensitive (and therefore no better) than she was? What happened to practice what you preach? I see no point in moaning about someone's insensitivity and lack of empathy and compassion, if you then react in the same way. It's petty and hypocritical.


If we're into Biblical quotes, how about:

"Do unto others as they would do unto you"


It's nothing to do with biblical quotes - it's to do with common sense.

Sadly, common sense is severely lacking amongst the UK population:

Yesterday, more benefit cuts came into force, and an NHS Trust went into administration.

What did people do? Well, they were on twitter and facebook moaning about Margaret Thatcher.

If 1% of the energy that has been used the last week to moan about things from three decades ago was used to protest about things happening now, we might see some things changing.

However, we can rest assured that, while most people remain quiet now about the changes being made to the country, when Cameron dies in thirty years time they will celebrate his passing.

Re: Margaret Thatcher, Former UK PM, Dead At 87

Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:12 pm

jungleroombear wrote:
ColinB wrote:As I posted in another thread:

"In death, she should be afforded all the respect, sensitivity & common decency that she showed to the workers & families whose lives she blighted when in power."

I could have added 'compassion' to that list,too.........


Your moment was when she was alive. All you (along with all the workers & families whose lives she blighted) had to do was formulate alternative policies, present them to the electorate and form an alternative government. You had 3 general elections in which to act. What was stopping you?


I did what I could as an individual, which was to vote against her at every general election.

As I pointed out earlier, a large portion of the electorate was impressed by her 'resolute' approach.

They felt that she was getting things done.

The realisation that the 'things' were harming the country was slow in coming for many.

Re: Margaret Thatcher, Former UK PM, Dead At 87

Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:03 am

ColinB wrote:
jungleroombear wrote:
ColinB wrote:As I posted in another thread:

"In death, she should be afforded all the respect, sensitivity & common decency that she showed to the workers & families whose lives she blighted when in power."

I could have added 'compassion' to that list,too.........


Your moment was when she was alive. All you (along with all the workers & families whose lives she blighted) had to do was formulate alternative policies, present them to the electorate and form an alternative government. You had 3 general elections in which to act. What was stopping you?


I did what I could as an individual, which was to vote against her at every general election.

As I pointed out earlier, a large portion of the electorate was impressed by her 'resolute' approach.

They felt that she was getting things done.

The realisation that the 'things' were harming the country was slow in coming for many.


The country then didn't have the advantage of the internet.

But the behaviour of people celebrating her death is doing nobody any good - although it will cost the country money because of the extra security needed for her funeral in case there are protests.

Should tax payers be paying for her funeral? No, and it's a disgrace that someone who leaves 54 million to their kids then has the country pay for her funeral - and that's without going into the ego that leaves funeral wishes on the scale of those happening tomorrow. But protesting about that will do no good. Protesting about something which matters to the people today, might.

Re: Margaret Thatcher, Former UK PM, Dead At 87

Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:12 am

daylon wrote:
rocknroller wrote:
jungleroombear wrote:
ColinB wrote:
rjm wrote:...I am not celebrating anyone's death: I'll won't lie and say I felt sad, because, well, I didn't. But I'm not one of the celebrants. I will not, though, condemn those who feel they have good reason. It's not that long ago, and many people's parents and grandparents were profoundly, and permanently affected by her actions during that time. And they have been hurting a long time. Is "celebration" a proper response? No. But it's their lives, so many lives affected, and I can't pass judgement.

rjm


As I posted in another thread:

"In death, she should be afforded all the respect, sensitivity & common decency that she showed to the workers & families whose lives she blighted when in power."

I could have added 'compassion' to that list,too.........


Your moment was when she was alive. All you (along with all the workers & families whose lives she blighted) had to do was formulate alternative policies, present them to the electorate and form an alternative government. You had 3 general elections in which to act. What was stopping you?







We did but scotland is only a small country !!!



:smt023

As for the post above your one r&r... That was an excellent idea, why didn't the plebs just do that at the bloody time. Must have been because the majority were thick!!! Just shows you, sometimes the most simple of ideas are often the best....missed oppurtunity.



:lol: :lol: :lol:

Re: Margaret Thatcher, Former UK PM, Dead At 87

Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:16 am

poormadpeter wrote:
But the behaviour of people celebrating her death is doing nobody any good



For the record i never celebrated her death ! i did not care for the women so it was just another day for me !!!

Re: Margaret Thatcher, Former UK PM, Dead At 87

Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:31 am

I just saw the news footage of the hearse taking the coffin into the chapel at the Palace of Westminster. And a stillnes could be felt off the tv screen. Maybe I always get affected up by the stately elegance of ceremonial rituals at the end of lives, but I found that footage very moving. That surprised me.

Re: Margaret Thatcher, Former UK PM, Dead At 87

Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:53 am

daylon wrote:
rocknroller wrote:
jungleroombear wrote:
ColinB wrote:
rjm wrote:...I am not celebrating anyone's death: I'll won't lie and say I felt sad, because, well, I didn't. But I'm not one of the celebrants. I will not, though, condemn those who feel they have good reason. It's not that long ago, and many people's parents and grandparents were profoundly, and permanently affected by her actions during that time. And they have been hurting a long time. Is "celebration" a proper response? No. But it's their lives, so many lives affected, and I can't pass judgement.

rjm


As I posted in another thread:

"In death, she should be afforded all the respect, sensitivity & common decency that she showed to the workers & families whose lives she blighted when in power."

I could have added 'compassion' to that list,too.........


Your moment was when she was alive. All you (along with all the workers & families whose lives she blighted) had to do was formulate alternative policies, present them to the electorate and form an alternative government. You had 3 general elections in which to act. What was stopping you?




We did but scotland is only a small country !!!



:smt023

As for the post above your one r&r... That was an excellent idea, why didn't the plebs just do that at the bloody time. Must have been because the majority were thick!!! Just shows you, sometimes the most simple of ideas are often the best....missed oppurtunity.


I struggle with all this fancy "quote" and spelling stuff too... confuses me no end. Anyway, its wonderful patriotic fervour like yours that will make an independent Scotland great again!

Re: Margaret Thatcher, Former UK PM, Dead At 87

Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:16 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Should tax payers be paying for her funeral? No, and it's a disgrace that someone who leaves 54 million to their kids then has the country pay for her funeral - and that's without going into the ego that leaves funeral wishes on the scale of those happening tomorrow. But protesting about that will do no good. Protesting about something which matters to the people today, might.


Protesting is not as simple. Protesting without publicity is almost useless. For instance, a few hundred demonstrated outside BBC Scotland building a number of months ago about biased news coverage of the BBC. Despite a lot of work going into arranging it, did it get any publicity in any news or tv media, none at all...another demonstration got covered by BBC which happened in Edinburgh the same weekend attended by half the number of people.

This is why some will protest at the funeral, to get some coverage for their cause.

The cost of the funeral is atrocious and David Cameron is making political capital out of it...we are all Thatcherites he said...far from it...

Re: Margaret Thatcher, Former UK PM, Dead At 87

Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:25 pm

George Galloway...he doesnt get it right half the time but he has hit the nail on the head this time

phpBB [video]

Re: Margaret Thatcher, Former UK PM, Dead At 87

Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:39 pm

memphisto wrote:George Galloway...he doesnt get it right half the time but he has hit the nail on the head this time

phpBB [video]




George is da man ! love the winston churchill bit !!! cheers for posting.

Re: Margaret Thatcher, Former UK PM, Dead At 87

Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:42 pm

memphisto wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Should tax payers be paying for her funeral? No, and it's a disgrace that someone who leaves 54 million to their kids then has the country pay for her funeral - and that's without going into the ego that leaves funeral wishes on the scale of those happening tomorrow. But protesting about that will do no good. Protesting about something which matters to the people today, might.


Protesting is not as simple. Protesting without publicity is almost useless. For instance, a few hundred demonstrated outside BBC Scotland building a number of months ago about biased news coverage of the BBC. Despite a lot of work going into arranging it, did it get any publicity in any news or tv media, none at all...another demonstration got covered by BBC which happened in Edinburgh the same weekend attended by half the number of people.

This is why some will protest at the funeral, to get some coverage for their cause.

The cost of the funeral is atrocious and David Cameron is making political capital out of it...we are all Thatcherites he said...far from it...


Yes, but what IS the cause you are talking about? What good will protesting at the funeral do when it's basically all over and done with by that point? There SHOULD have been protests about the taxpayer paying for the funeral, but doing them on the day is ridiculous because it's all too late.

Re: Margaret Thatcher, Former UK PM, Dead At 87

Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:04 pm

rocknroller wrote:
memphisto wrote:George Galloway...he doesnt get it right half the time but he has hit the nail on the head this time

phpBB [video]




George is da man ! love the winston churchill bit !!! cheers for posting.


Typical George Galloway... That was quite good though. He's always entertaining (remember the USA senate debate with him).

I don't agree with gorgeous on a lot of what he comes out with but he was bang on in that interview.

Thanks for posting.

Re: Margaret Thatcher, Former UK PM, Dead At 87

Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:30 pm

In the end, there were very few protests, however the funeral did, inadvertently, raise a smile when I just saw it on the news...

Firstly Sky News zoomed in on a hippy-like protestor with a placard, only for us to be told in the voice-over..."and this of course is the statue of Queen Anne..."

The second smile was raised when we were told that tears were streaming down George Osborne's face. At least he has now felt the same emotion as those whose income he is cutting.

Re: Margaret Thatcher, Former UK PM, Dead At 87

Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:09 pm

I can't believe no one posted this song yet!
Crank up the volume and clap along!
This one's for the sinking of the Belgrano

phpBB [video]



Can you hear it in the distance
Can you sense it far away
Is it old Rudolph the reindeer
Is it Santa on his sleigh
It's heading up to Easington
It's coming down the Tyne
Oh it's bloddy Maggie Thatcher
And Michael Heseltine

chorus

So merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher
May God's love be with you
We all sing together in one breath
Merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher
We all celebrate today
'Cause it's one day closer to your death

They've come to raid your stockings
And to steal your Christmas pud
But don't be too downhearted
It's all for your own good
The economic infrastructure
Must be swept away
To make way for call centres
And lower rates of pay
[repeat chorus]

And they've brought their fascist boot boys
And they've brought the boys in blue
And the whole Trade Union Congress
Will be at the party too
And they'll all hold hands together
All standing in a line
'Cause they're privatising Santa
This merry Christmas time
[repeat chorus]

Oh my darling, oh my darling, oh my darling Heseltine
You're a tosser, you're a tosser
And you're just a Tory Swine

Re: Margaret Thatcher, Former UK PM, Dead At 87

Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:43 am

Ive always been pretty much pro-union, however come the time I will be voting for independance. What has swayed me is the Tory party, it irks deeply that a party that has never been popular in Scotland gets to hold power over us. For too long we have been treated like the red headed stepchild by them and with the implementation of the disgusting 'bedroom tax' it is the final straw for me. I am not on benefits of any kind and have worked all my days and so it does not affect me personaly, but once again the Tory's show their true colours by putting their foot on the throat of those who can least afford it. The sooner we are rid of them the better. All the petty threats coming from them, Scotland cant use Sterling, no more Lottery for Scotland blah blah blah show only their poor understanding of people north of the border, threats play into Salmonds hands. Whether the yes vote wins is open for debate, people tend to fear change, but Salmonds absolute landslide victory cannot be ignored.

As for Thatcher, entire communties were decimated by this womans scything policies, whatever her sucesses they are forever overshadowed by that.