Off Topic Messages

Elston Gunn - That's alright mama (1962 outtake)

Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:59 am

aka Bob Dylan. Recorded during the Freewheelin' sessions in 1962 but never released. I think if it had been, It would have shown that, contrary to legend, Bob did not convert to electric sound in 1966. What do others think ?

phpBB [video]

Re: Elston Gunn - That's alright mama (1962 outtake)

Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:23 am

It does sound very '65/'66! Fascinating: he knew EXACTLY what his sound should be, right out of the chute. There may be slight difference between Highway 61 Revisted, and Blonde on Blonde, but really, the sound was in his head all the time.

Thank you!

rjm

Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:32 am

Thanks Glad you enjoyed it. According to the info I read it was from 1962. There's some 14 other songs that Bobster recorded not featured on the Freewheelin' Bob Dylan record -

Ramblin', Gamblin' Willie
Talkin' Hava Negeliah Blues
Talkin' Bear Mountain
Picnic Massacre Blues
Let Me Die In My Footsteps
Quit Your Low Down Ways
Worried Blues
Babe I'm In The Mood For You
Rocks And Gravel
That's Alright Mama
Kingsport Town
Mixed Up Confusion
Hero Blues
Walls Of Redwing

Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:30 pm

Very cool recording Rob...thanks for posting!
Love that piano!!!

Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:35 am

I like it !!! ::rocks

Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:53 am

Onya Dan T and Brad. It's a wonder why Bob ( or Sony Music) doesn't re-release FREEWHEELING as a double CD featuring the 14 other tracks.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:14 am

Robt wrote:Onya Dan T and Brad. It's a wonder why Bob ( or Sony Music) doesn't re-release FREEWHEELING as a double CD featuring the 14 other tracks.

Some were controversial, and pulled off for that reason, and some rocked! They were promoting a new folksinger.

But, to leave off "Talkin' Bear Mountain (Massacre Blues)" is . . . a massacre! It's one of the funniest tragicomic epics I've ever heard. At the end, he gives you "the moral of the story," which people should have gotten anyway, but as horrible as it was, it's just an hilarious rendering! I laugh my head off every time!

Enjoy!

phpBB [video]

"Walls of Red Wing" was also controversial - in some ways, still is. And the main one, the one on the Sullivan show. It's not even on the "cut" list. So, he was censored by his label as well.

rjm

Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:50 am

Thanks again. Here's a good link on Bob Dylan, Robin,, Dan T and Brad and indeed anyone else, interested in Bob's back catalogue worth checking. Hey did you know it's nearly 50 years since Freewheelin Bob Dylan record came out. A good time as any to re-release it (as mentioned before) with the 14 other cuts.

http://warehouseeyes.netfirms.com/index.html

Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:56 am

Robt wrote:Thanks again. Here's a good link on Bob Dylan, Robin,, Dan T and Brad and indeed anyone else, interested in Bob's back catalogue worth checking. Hey did you know it's nearly 50 years since Freewheelin Bob Dylan record came out. A good time as any to re-release it (as mentioned before) with the 14 other cuts.

http://warehouseeyes.netfirms.com/index.html

It's a beautiful site, and he published a "Lulu" book that mirrors the site (you can get a physical copy that way), and it's also available on amazon, both as an e-book as well. Self-publishing is nice, but you really need input from others: Bobby Zimmerman was born in Duluth, MN, not in Hibbing. He moved there at four years old, when his dad got polio, and had to leave Standard Oil. His father was big in the union, and actually "joined" just about everything there was to join. So that's not necessarily trivial.

It said to leave comments, but he's already published the book.

Still, I'm sure it's fascinating, and it's beautifully produced. Thanks! :D

rjm

Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:31 am

Dylan's cover of "That's All Right" was tried at three sessions (10-26-1962, 11-01-1962 and 10-23-1963), spanning the era of the second and third LPs. The October 1962 version is the one on YouTube, it was bootlegged years ago, and several takes from the 1962 sessions were officially released about three months ago:

The 50th Anniversary Collection (Sony Music)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_50th_Anniversary_Collection

Dylan's 1962 Columbia single debut, "Mixed-Up Confusion," is a fully electric performance, but few paid attention at the time.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:35 pm

It's cool. I like it. Good arrangement.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:33 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Dylan's cover of "That's All Right" was tried at three sessions (10-26-1962, 11-01-1962 and 10-23-1963), spanning the era of the second and third LPs. The October 1962 version is the one on YouTube, it was bootlegged years ago, and several takes from the 1962 sessions were officially released about three months ago:

Dylan's 1962 Columbia single debut, "Mixed-Up Confusion," is a fully electric performance, but few paid attention at the time.

Onya mate. I wasn't aware of the muti disc 50th Anniversary Collection. Good heavens, Just look at the amount of takes on "Mixed Up Confusion" it contains ? Just the same, a more concise 50th anniversary Freewheelin' package (arguably the second most influential record of the 1960's) featuring the 14 other masters would make for a wonderful release.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:56 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Dylan's cover of "That's All Right" was tried at three sessions (10-26-1962, 11-01-1962 and 10-23-1963), spanning the era of the second and third LPs. The October 1962 version is the one on YouTube, it was bootlegged years ago, and several takes from the 1962 sessions were officially released about three months ago:

Only 100 copies, and intended to prevent the tracks from entering the public domain under the newer Euro regulations.

Pretty rare item! I heard about that one, but there was no way. :(

rjm

Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:07 pm

rjm wrote:

Only 100 copies, and intended to prevent the tracks from entering the public domain under the newer Euro regulations.

Pretty rare item! I heard about that one, but there was no way. :(

rjm

:cry: But I was looking forward to all those takes of Mixed Up Confusion :twisted:

Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:24 am

It is for certain that copies will be made available.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:56 am

I have a better idea. Put some of them on You Tube :wink: Hey Johnno, Just receieved a pm that "Cover Me" by Bruce on one of his Sydney concerts in 1985 and which was televised here, that someone has it and will be uploadng on YT. It's the one that got cut off after about 3 mins. Isn't that great. Will keep you and other Bruceheads posted.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:01 pm

1962 outtake is better than this:

phpBB [video]

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:15 pm

That's probably why it stayed in the can.