Off Topic Messages

HMV saved

Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:49 pm

News has been filtering through today that HMV has been bought out by Hilco, as many expected it would be. In an earlier post on the boards, I suggested that half of HMV's problem was that it no longer catered to those who spent sizeable sums of money on music. Because of the space taken up in the shops by gadgets, t-shirts etc, those people with big collections find little to buy when they browse as the various genre sections are simply not big enough. Well, it appears that this line of thinking is also that of the new owners, who say they are going to rid the stores of technical gadgets, headphones etc and concentrate purely on music and film. Hilco have had great success in Canada with HMV, and here's hoping they can do the same here. After all, HMV accounts for more physical sales than Amazon in the UK.

Re: HMV saved

Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:11 pm

Good news.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:38 am

Bit late most of the hmv stores have closed in glasgow !!!

Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:02 pm

poormadpeter wrote:After all, HMV accounts for more physical sales than Amazon in the UK.

Really?

Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:02 pm

Mine was not saved

Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:21 pm

Matthew wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:After all, HMV accounts for more physical sales than Amazon in the UK.

Really?

that;s what the stats say - I should have clarified music sales, rather than DVD. 38% of music cds are sold through hmv according to the Guardian, with 27% of DVDs (the latter I would imagine is less than Amazon)

Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:24 pm

poormadpeter wrote:that;s what the stats say - I should have clarified music sales, rather than DVD. 38% of music cds are sold through hmv according to the Guardian, with 27% of DVDs (the latter I would imagine is less than Amazon)

Remarkable. Even 7 years ago before I moved away I had been buying all of my CDs and DVDs from online only outlets like Amazon and Play, and had been doing so for some time. I barely touched the likes of HMV.