Off Topic Messages

I'm pissed about this....!

Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:11 pm

several months ago, i was at my local library when i overheard a conversation between the library director and a staff member. Attendance at the library was down and they needed to find some activities they could schedule to get people to come back (high attendance equals more funding, from what i understand). I approached the library director and pitched an idea to have a classic film series in the library auditorium (seats about 80 people and features an overhead video projector, 500 watt sound system and a 120 inch movie screen). One good idea i pitched was to celebrate KING KONG (1933 film) by having a birthday party with treats like frosted banana cake, and promote this event by having a guy in a gorilla costume passing out flyers outside of the shopping center across the street from the library. The director really liked the idea because it would be both fun and attention-getting.
i went to work in my free time over the winter months and came up with a nice flyer and tried to think of other classic films and what i could do to promote them.
Well, a few days ago, i went to the public library and spoke with its director and she chuckled when i showed her the flyer i created for the Kong event. Then she turned to me and said "Nice flyer but what is this for again?" i recalled for her, the conversation we had and how she had told me that it sounded like fun and she was interested. First, she couldn't recall ever having that conversation with me, and second, she said that library rules does not allow patrons to dictate how the library handles their programs. There are certain guidelines the library must follow when developing events.
So, all the work that i did over the winter months was wasted and i feel deceived and ripped off (my exact words to the library director).
BTW that library posted a schedule for their summer film series yesterday. They haven't had a summer film series in years. They probably thought of this on their own (right after my idea was shot down).

Re: I'm pissed about this....!

Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:59 pm

well that sucks, i'm sorry for u. I hate people who say yes great idea!, and u wanna help them, just to find out after spending lots of time to help their asses, they dont need u anymore, and come up later with a similar plan saying its theirs.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:00 pm

Did the library ask you to prepare a flyer for them? Did they know you were doing so?

Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:25 pm

Several times I pointed out special recordings to radio DJ's. However, when they played such recordings the radio DJ on air said "I discovered this song....." when in fact it was me who told him about it.
He did not even say that a listener pointed him to it.
Since then I do not help professional people anymore.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:49 am

elvisbot wrote:several months ago, i was at my local library when i overheard a conversation between the library director and a staff member. Attendance at the library was down and they needed to find some activities they could schedule to get people to come back (high attendance equals more funding, from what i understand). I approached the library director and pitched an idea to have a classic film series in the library auditorium (seats about 80 people and features an overhead video projector, 500 watt sound system and a 120 inch movie screen). One good idea i pitched was to celebrate KING KONG (1933 film) by having a birthday party with treats like frosted banana cake, and promote this event by having a guy in a gorilla costume passing out flyers outside of the shopping center across the street from the library. The director really liked the idea because it would be both fun and attention-getting.
i went to work in my free time over the winter months and came up with a nice flyer and tried to think of other classic films and what i could do to promote them.
Well, a few days ago, i went to the public library and spoke with its director and she chuckled when i showed her the flyer i created for the Kong event. Then she turned to me and said "Nice flyer but what is this for again?" i recalled for her, the conversation we had and how she had told me that it sounded like fun and she was interested. First, she couldn't recall ever having that conversation with me, and second, she said that library rules does not allow patrons to dictate how the library handles their programs. There are certain guidelines the library must follow when developing events.
So, all the work that i did over the winter months was wasted and i feel deceived and ripped off (my exact words to the library director).
BTW that library posted a schedule for their summer film series yesterday. They haven't had a summer film series in years. They probably thought of this on their own (right after my idea was shot down).

That's too bad. You know that some people have short memories.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:50 pm

Good job you didn't give her a demo copy of "Don't Leave Me Now"

Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:20 pm

well, the library director did not actually say (in words) that she wanted me to create a design for the flyer. When i said that i would see what i could come up with for a flyer design, she nodded her head and said "uh huh" so i naturally assumed that she was somewhat interested. BTW she really was listening to my sales pitch intently which told me that she had some interest in the idea. If she had zero interest in the project, i would have expected her to say so immediately.
BUMMER!
Maybe i'll pitch the idea to another local venue because KING KONG (1933 version), happens to be my favorite classic monster movie.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:36 pm

I'm sure she really appreciated someone eavesdropping on her conversation, then telling her "yeah I've got this great idea". For you to complain about all the effort you went to, especially over something you wasn't asked to do is funny.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:37 pm

elvisbot wrote:well, the library director did not actually say (in words) that she wanted me to create a design for the flyer. When i said that i would see what i could come up with for a flyer design, she nodded her head and said "uh huh" so i naturally assumed that she was somewhat interested.

Sounds like the library director is owed an apology.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:41 pm

She's Got Some Explaining to do!

Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:00 pm

well, in answer to the people who said that the library director must have been thrilled that i eavesdropped on her conversation. In order to abbreviate my original post, i failed to mention that i approached the library director with my film series idea several days after i overheard the conversation, not right at that very moment. Everyone at that library knows me for several reasons:
i have been going to that library for 47 years.
i once did volunteer work for two years when that library had their funding cut (i shelved returned books).
i volunteer to help out setting up their book sale 4 times a year.
five of the librarians are personal friends of mine.
the library director knows me for 10 years and has often said that if i had any fresh ideas for the library (or any of its programs) then i can feel free to discuss my ideas with her.
So, it wasn't like i was some total stranger just walking up to her and saying "I just overheard your conversation and decided to put in my two cents worth"
i would never do that.
just thought i would clear this up.