Off Topic Messages

FINALLY!!!

Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:19 pm

The greatest RnR band ever, will tour again.

phpBB [video]

Re: FINALLY!!!

Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:30 pm

nevermind wrote:The greatest RnR band ever, will tour again.

Sadly not....

John and George are dead.

Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:56 pm

And Elvis, Scotty, Bill, and DJ ceased touring together in the 50s.

Who are the Strolling Bones anyway?

Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:49 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:

Sadly not....

And who are they?

Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:16 am

nevermind wrote:
Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:

Sadly not....

And who are they?

It's the same band who released the greatest album of all time......... :smt023 :smt023

Last edited by TCB-FAN on Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:23 am

The "greatest" rock and roll band ever certainly can't be the same band that released "A Bigger Bang."

Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:05 am

Some very good points are being made here.

But, if you enjoy seeing the Rolling Stones (2013 edition) play their greatest hits in a stadium, for an enormous single-ticket cost, more power to ya.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:35 am

Some acts have matured gracefully into their fifties, and then quite beyond.

The Stones are not among 'em.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:45 am

rjm wrote:Some acts have matured gracefully into their fifties, and then quite beyond.

Like Kiss?

Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:34 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
rjm wrote:Some acts have matured gracefully into their fifties, and then quite beyond.

Like Kiss?

smt125 :smt046

Look, the fog is really rolling in! They must be ghosts of their former selves . . . (Whatever that was.)

phpBB [video]

rjm (Gosh, the Stones don't look a day over 103!)

Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:23 am

Seeing WIllie Nelson , Johnny Cash, and Kris Kristofferson perform as old age pensioners was great, seeing the Stones after 1985 would not be fun, but hey , thats just my opinion

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:09 am

Kiss don't wear that makeup anymore.

They've had those designs permanently tattooed on.............................

Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:08 pm

These guys have already made their important contribution to rock history. Now it's about having fun (and making money obviously). The 50th anniversary shows were certainly good enough to justify a full tour.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:40 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Like Kiss?

KISS? 40 years. The Stones? 50 years. The Fag Four? 10 years. While they tried to selll love and peace, the head-shaking boy-band from Liverpool fell apart because of jealousy and hatred. Fortunately!!!

Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:06 pm

I take it you are not a Beatles fan then?

Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:40 am

nevermind wrote:KISS? 40 years. The Stones? 50 years. The Fag Four? 10 years. While they tried to selll love and peace, the head-shaking boy-band from Liverpool fell apart because of jealousy and hatred. Fortunately!!!

The Fag Four? My, aren't you clever.

Your homophobic tendencies aside, your post only serves to highlight The Beatles' far reaching appeal:

The Beatles - 600 million records sold of an 8 year career.
The Rolling Stones - 200 million records sold of a 50 year career.
Kiss - 100 million records sold of a 40 year career.

Since you've insisted on playground reasoning I guess this means The Beatles are 3 times better than The Rolling Stones and 6 times better than Kiss. But then, they only recorded their product over 8 years so I guess they're EVEN MORE BETTERER!!

You must be heartbroken :sosorry:

Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:39 am

Matthew wrote:
nevermind wrote:KISS? 40 years. The Stones? 50 years. The Fag Four? 10 years. While they tried to selll love and peace, the head-shaking boy-band from Liverpool fell apart because of jealousy and hatred. Fortunately!!!

The Fag Four? My, aren't you clever.

Your homophobic tendencies aside, your post only serves to highlight The Beatles' far reaching appeal:

The Beatles - 600 million records sold of an 8 year career.
The Rolling Stones - 200 million records sold of a 50 year career.
Kiss - 100 million records sold of a 40 year career.

Since you've insisted on playground reasoning I guess this means The Beatles are 3 times better than The Rolling Stones and 6 times better than Kiss. But then, they only recorded their product over 8 years so I guess they're EVEN MORE BETTERER!!

You must be heartbroken :sosorry
:

::rocks

Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:51 am

Elvis has sold over 2.5 Billion Records Worldwide. ( A Billion is 1 Thousand Million). Elvis has been on the charts more times than any other artist or group. Elvis has the most hits in the Top 100, the Top 40, The Top 10, and has had 32 Number 1 Records.

so elvis is even better then the beatles. well i can sleep tonight :facep: :D :D

Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:53 am

Johnny2523 wrote:Elvis has sold over 2.5 Billion Records Worldwide.

Hmmm.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:54 am

The Rolling Stones would like to dedicate this next song to nevermind:

phpBB [video]

Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:16 am

Johnny2523 wrote:Elvis has sold over 2.5 Billion Records Worldwide. ( A Billion is 1 Thousand Million). Elvis has been on the charts more times than any other artist or group. Elvis has the most hits in the Top 100, the Top 40, The Top 10, and has had 32 Number 1 Records.

so elvis is even better then the beatles. well i can sleep tonight :facep: :D :D

Not sure what your source for this information may be as you list none, but according to this, you are mistaken on most all your claims:

Total certified units (from available markets)
Beatles = 250 million
Elvis Presley = 201 million

Claimed Sales
Elvis Presley = 600 million + 500 million
Beatles = 600 million

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists#300_million_or_more_records

All-Time top artists
01. Beatles
02. Madonna
03. Elton John
04. Elvis Presley
05. Stevie Wonder
06. Mariah Carey
07. Janet Jackson
08. Michael Jackson
09. Whitney Houston
10. Rolling Stones
11. Paul McCartney/Wings
12. Bee Gees
13. Chicago
14. Supremes
15. Daryl Hall & John Oates
16. Prince
17. Rod Stewart
18. Olivia Newton-John
19. Aretha Franklin
20. Marvin Gaye

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Hot_100_50th_Anniversary_Charts#All-Time_top_artists

Not that it really matters, at least to lovers of great, 20th century popular music.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:02 am

The UK certifications for Elvis and the Beatles (5.8 million and 7 million, respectively) on that wiki page are tiny compared to actual UK record sales. Surely the certified figures are more accurate than that for both?

Elvis tends to be a little disadvantaged in this area because of the large number of compilations that have sold in modest but not huge quantities over the years. They are generally not included in the certified stats.

The second link refers to Hot 100 chart achievements only, so misses out everything pre-August 1958. That means lots of Elvis' big hits are excluded, including 11 number ones.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:27 pm

How did we go from The Strolling Bones to Elvis' UK charts? :?

::rocks

Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:00 pm

Matthew wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:Elvis has sold over 2.5 Billion Records Worldwide.

Hmmm.

Hey - that's less than two records bought by every person who saw Aloha From Hawaii.

Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:42 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Claimed Sales
Elvis Presley = 600 million + 500 million
Beatles = 600 million

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists#300_million_or_more_records

John... what do those numbers mean?