Off Topic Messages

My Baby Left Me (Billy Fury)

Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:35 am

I came across this 1961 recording of My Baby Left Me by Billy Fury today, recorded at the BBC. An interesting cover, I think, and it sounds remarkably modern - not sure I would have dated it at 1961 had I not been told!

phpBB [video]

Re: My Baby Left Me (Billy Fury)

Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:38 am

This was performed in 1982 and released in the double CD The Last Concert (Ozit CD220) in 2003.

Re: My Baby Left Me (Billy Fury)

Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:03 pm

Jove wrote:This was performed in 1982 and released in the double CD The Last Concert (Ozit CD220) in 2003.


No, this version is from 1961, from a double disc by Decca called Live at the BBC - also includes a nice version of Find Out What's Happening:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Billy-Fury-Live-The-BBC/dp/B000H4W8FE

Re: My Baby Left Me (Billy Fury)

Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:02 am

It's average. You'll find CCR did a better version. You dig their beat?

Re: My Baby Left Me (Billy Fury)

Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:46 am

Robt wrote:It's average. You'll find CCR did a better version. You dig their beat?


I disagree, the CCR version is too much like Presley's. There's nothing new or original there. I don't see any point in covering a song if you're not going to do something original with it - this was half the problem with Presley himself during the 1970s and a succession of lazy covers.

Re: My Baby Left Me (Billy Fury)

Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:13 am

poormadpeter wrote:
Robt wrote:It's average. You'll find CCR did a better version. You dig their beat?


I disagree, the CCR version is too much like Presley's. There's nothing new or original there. I don't see any point in covering a song if you're not going to do something original with it - this was half the problem with Presley himself during the 1970s and a succession of lazy covers.


"Lazy covers". :roll:

Re: My Baby Left Me (Billy Fury)

Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:36 am

ian wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Robt wrote:It's average. You'll find CCR did a better version. You dig their beat?


I disagree, the CCR version is too much like Presley's. There's nothing new or original there. I don't see any point in covering a song if you're not going to do something original with it - this was half the problem with Presley himself during the 1970s and a succession of lazy covers.


"Lazy covers". :roll:


And your point is what? Do you want to call Spanish Eyes and She Wears My Ring "inspired"?

Re: My Baby Left Me (Billy Fury)

Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:01 am

poormadpeter wrote:
Jove wrote:This was performed in 1982 and released in the double CD The Last Concert (Ozit CD220) in 2003.


No, this version is from 1961, from a double disc by Decca called Live at the BBC - also includes a nice version of Find Out What's Happening:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Billy-Fury-Live-The-BBC/dp/B000H4W8FE


Mea culpa :oops:

Clicking your link, there were some other Elvis covers beside Find Out What's Happening.

Back to the original topic, I still prefer the Elvis version.

Re: My Baby Left Me (Billy Fury)

Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:57 pm

Dont like it very much.creedence did a better version !!!