Off Topic Messages

Re: Bruce Springsteen in Sydney!~

Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:33 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
YDKM wrote:Personal highlights for me were:- so for me about 1/3rd of the show was absolutely incredable!~ :D
2. LAST TO DIE*
3. The Ties That Bind
7. Out In The Street
9. The Promised Land
10. Cover Me
12. I’m On Fire
15. Because The Night
Encore:
23. Born To Run
24. Bobby Jean
25. Dancing In The Dark

Ah. I actually like a LOT of the work Bruce has produced since 1984.

And I am happy he is not a "greatest hits" machine like the Rolling Stones, or Kiss, where the only thing new at one of their concerts is the t-shirt design at the concession booths.

As for KISS, you are wrong. Throughout the decades the setlist changed, but yes, always featured certain songs that always been played. But has more variation unlike The Sones. Still going strong for 40 years. Not bad. The concept still sells. $$$$$, it's all about that. Even for Bruce.

The Stones?? The best RnR band ever. Their setlist not vary much. Who cares? We'll wait and see if they will tour again (rumoured), and just look at the response of the audience.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rolling_Stones
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiss_(band)

Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:50 am

YDKM wrote:also i had wondered what had happened to Steve Van Zandt

Van Zandt is currently in Norway filming the second Season of Lilyhammer. He'll be back in time for the next leg of the tour, which starts in Oslo at the end of April.

Chris

Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:02 pm

:? After reading this set list i am sick i couldn't go to last nights final Sydney show!~ seems EVERY show is varied and very, very good!~
March 22 / Allphones Arena / Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Notes: With exclusive performances at Sydney3 including "Growin' Up," the '78 intro to "Prove It All Night," "Trapped," "Backstreets," "Born in the U.S.A.," and a post-"Tenth" "Rosalita" to close the show, the E Street Band has now played a total of 63 different songs over the course of five shows. Seems that Morello kid's a fast learner.

Setlist:
We Take Care of Our Own
Wrecking Ball
Night
Death to My Hometown
Hungry Heart
My City of Ruins
Growin' Up
The E Street Shuffle
Prove It All Night (with '78 intro)
Trapped
The River
Pay Me My Money Down
Working on the Highway
Darlington County
Shackled and Drawn
Waitin' on a Sunny Day
Backstreets
The Ghost of Tom Joad
Badlands
Thunder Road
Born in the U.S.A.
Born to Run
Dancing in the Dark
Tenth Avenue Freeze-out
Rosalita

What a PERFORMER Bruce is and who said he no longer sings Born in the U.S.A. :D
i now regret NOT getting a ticket for his Friday show!~because it has a superb listing of many of my absolute fav songs!~Hungry Heart,The River,Born in the U.S.A ! :cry: maybe he is in England during June, but i don't think i will be seeing him their.

Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:12 am

YDKM you should've shouted out for The Boss - during the Encore - to do this bloody brilliant gem which was later covered (and unfortunately murdered) by Manfred Mann in the late 70's.

phpBB [video]

Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:27 am

Robt wrote:YDKM you should've shouted out for The Boss - during the Encore - to do this bloody brilliant gem

...and Springsteen would have ignored him, since that relative rarity had opened the encores two shows earlier in Brisbane. Here it is:

phpBB [video]

Chris

Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:08 am

Thanks mate. That was cool to play.

Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:13 am

Hey look at this !!!! Very happy to see Bruce featured a 12-minute version of Spirit of the Night on his Aussie tour. Awesome stuff !!!

phpBB [video]

Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:19 am

:shock: well we live in a different world today- Bruce forums even recommend which brand of mobile phone takes best concert footage and within hours Set list for a show is up on a forum and next day U tube links to virtually every song recorded by about 1% of the audience!~ incredable compared to Elvis's day when just maybe in a specalist fan club magazine a set list or show detailed report would appear a month later~! now everything is almost instant some fans texting every next Bruce song title as its performed. on U tube you can watch good quality footage of most of the shows-amazing~! 8)

Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:15 am

YDKM wrote::? After reading this set list i am sick i couldn't go to last nights final Sydney show!~ seems EVERY show is varied and very, very good!~

That's been a fact for, oh, more than 40 years!

I try to see every local show he gives, as each night is different -- and GREAT!

That's why he's BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN.

Ain't no one else in his class. And when he's gone, it's over.

Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:22 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
YDKM wrote::? After reading this set list i am sick i couldn't go to last nights final Sydney show!~ seems EVERY show is varied and very, very good!~

I try to see every local show he gives, as each night is different -- and GREAT!

How many did you see ? Any particular favourite one lives on in your memory ?

Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:07 am

Although Springsteen has always varied his set, swapping out about a third of the show each night is a relatively new phenomenon. This really started to take off during the "Reunion" tour in 1999. Check out the setlists for the Darkness on the Edge of Town or Tunnel of Love tours for instance and you'll notice much less variation.

I've seen somewhere around 70 shows, starting with Sheffield in 1988. Each one has been a thrill.I even managed to give Bruce a friendly pat on the shoulder in Charlottesville last October.

Chris

Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:20 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

:roll:

Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:51 am

:D What a CLASSY and acurate comment from the Doc!~ :D fully agree and at least i saw him ONCE!~ :smt004

Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:58 pm

Robt wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

How many did you see ? Any particular favourite one lives on in your memory ?

A lot.

All are special, but the night he opened with "Good Rockin' Tonight" while wearing Elvis, circa 1976 sideburns, is burned into my memory, as is the evening when he walked out to begin his encores, wearing an acoustic guitar, and led the band into his version of "Follow That Dream" (his second rewrite of the Presley classic, neither has been officially issued).

Or when he looked at me and said "I want to be where the FANS are," and kicked off the unreleased River recording, "Where The Bands Are."

Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:32 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Or when he looked at me and said "I want to be where the FANS are," and kicked off the unreleased River recording, "Where The Bands Are."

Where The Bands Are was released on the box set Tracks in 1998 and performed frequently during the "Reunion" tour in 1999.

It sounds like you saw him perform the song in Oakland on 25 October 1999. As it happens, I was also at that show (and the show the following night too).

Chris

Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:23 am

ChrisM wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Or when he looked at me and said "I want to be where the FANS are," and kicked off the unreleased River recording, "Where The Bands Are."

Where The Bands Are was released on the box set Tracks in 1998 and performed frequently during the "Reunion" tour in 1999.

Right. But my intention was to point out that Bruce recorded it during sessions for The River, but left it in the vaults. It surfaced on bootleg in 1985, albeit pitched way too fast. I loved it, even the weird bridge. It's one of scores of killer songs he did not release at the time.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:50 am

hmm i don't particularily like 'where the bands are'....still i think its absolutely incredable that someone who is 63 and 'rockin' like a healthy 43 can put out such amazing shows!~. i read a review for the Rod Laver Arena show on Sunday 24th March and people were criticising it for being 'ordinary' yet Bruce features a large number of songs in his set lists and i reckon i would have needed 2 shows to have heard more different songs. HE ROCKS out finishing in Victoria for Easter weekend..then quite deservedly has a month off b4 Oslo and the European tour.!~Not such a bad life if you have the fitness and drive!~ its all amazing stuff!~ :D

Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:04 am

Nonsense my friend - Where the Bands Are is a great killer track. Johnno's right about the speeded up bootleg version too. Hey here's Because the Night from the Brisbane show -

phpBB [video]

Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:11 am

For Bruce fans outside of Australia, here's a fantastic interview with Ian Molly Meldrum on the Sunday Night program...

phpBB [video]

Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:34 am

I caught the first Melbourne show on Sunday 24th. I've had a lifetime of listening to the Boss, but this was my second show only, the first in the UK in 1988.The result of living on west coast Australia in Perth - a city he has never toured.

Setlist as follows.

Out In The Street (from The River, 1980)
The Promised Land (from Darkness on the Edge of Town, 1978)
Something In The Night (from Darkness on the Edge of Town, 1978)
Wrecking Ball (from Wrecking Ball, 2012)
Death To My Hometown (from Wrecking Ball, 2012)
Hungry Heart (from The River, 1980)
Spirit In The Night (from Greetings From Asbury Park, 1973)
High Hopes (The Havilinas cover)
The River (from The River, 1980)
Seeds (from Live 1975-85, 1985)
Johnny 99 (from Nebraska, 1982)
Prove It All Night (from Darkness on the Edge of Town, 1978)
Pay Me My Money Down (from We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions, 2006)
Darlington County (from Born In The USA, 1984)
Shackled And Drawn (from Wrecking Ball, 2012)
Waiting On A Sunny Day (from Working On A Dream, 2009)
The Rising (from The Rising, 2002)
The Ghost of Tom Joad (from The Ghost of Tom Joad, 1995)
Badlands (from Darkness on the Edge of Town, 1978)
Land of Hope and Dreams (from Live In New York City, 2001)

Born In The USA (from Born In The USA, 1984)
Born To Run (from Born To Run, 1975)
Dancing In The Dark (from Born In The USA, 1984)
Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out (from Born To Run, 1975)

When the setlist gets mixed up as often as Bruce does you will always miss some favourites, but the great upside is that you get unexpected and 'rare' performances that can be highlights. I REALLY loved that middle stretch of The River, Seeds, and Johnny 99. And although there were only three songs from Wrecking ball they were very well received. if the audience in my vicinity were any indication they are well into his newer material.

The great thing about the tour is that he is drawing stuff from right across his career and delivering with unstppoable committment to each performance. But hasn't this always been the case? The audience can't ask anything else, parrticularly when the music and the songs are this strong. The band is an absolute monster. Even with the line up changes it still hits every number full on - no other way I suppose when the front man is busting his butt night after night.

For a couple of Elvis related observations; I think that Elvis and Bruce have plenty in common as live performers. What Springsteen's one time producer and manager Jon landau wrote in his review of Elvis at the Boston gardens could apply just as accurrately to Springsteen himself:

'Elvis is too old to imitate his own past. He will not pretend that he is some adolescent high-energy rocker straight out of the Delta. Nor can he cope with the continuing feelings so many people have about him with a straight face. He must un dercut their adulation of him just as he must undercut his own narcissism if for no other reason than to preserve his own sanity. If he really believed all the things they felt about him he would have risen up long ago.'

Springsteen too has grown as a performer and in similar ways, by drawing on humour and goodwill to create a strong rapport and trust with his audience (Elvis' scarf throwing and kissing has become Bruces's crowd surfing - something Elvis was never gonna do!). But Bruce's committment to his stagecraft is more apparent than Elvis displayed, and it is of course sad (as others have observed) that Elvis at 42 had none of the energy, drive or passion for performance that Bruce displays when he is comfortably in his 60s. How we wish it could have been otherwise. Bruce still wants to move his audience with his songs and lyrics, but he also wants to give them a bloody good time. There is nothing self-indulgent about the show, its the thinking persons rock party to which everyone is invited!

Secondly the high falsetto wail that bruce now uses to conclude The River seems to draw heavily on Elvis' use of a similar effect in Blue Moon.

I would dearly have loved to stay on in Melbourne for the other two shows and particularly to go to one of the Macedon (Hanging Rock) shows over Easter. For the non-Australians this is an iconic and spectacular outdoor setting fully worthy of hosting the Boss. It should be something else (fingers crossed for the notoriously fickle weather).
Last edited by Dottore on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:48 am

Thanks. Interesting post to read. One thing's for sure, Bruce is still an enduring live act, definitely the best in the business (unlike a few other icons, not mentioning any names :evil: ).

Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Hey Bruce fans. Great to find two of his concerts from his recent Australian tour are on You Tube. Better download these ASAP :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjNmUwC9Rpw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41s1fArXjqc

Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:49 am

Dottore wrote:I caught the first Melbourne show on Sunday 24th.

Waiting On A Sunny Day (from Working On A Dream, 2009)

Thanks for the post. Some interesting observations. One minor correction - Waitin' on a Sunny Day is from The Rising.

Chris

Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:40 am

After consulting more people who have previously 'suffered' the appalling bad sound in the allphones or acer arena, Sydney i'm afraid the VENUE is to blame for such bad accoustics.I don't know how the sound 'rated' for the rest of the Australian tour in Brisbane, Rod Laver Arena or Hanging Rock?
bad sound is a real 'turn off' to see at a Venue for ANY artist to perform in.Maybe that's why i prefer smaller 'known' ok venues now to see live artists?