Off Topic Messages

Bobby Smith Of The Spinners Dead At 76

Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:08 pm

Bobby Smith, lead singer of Detroit group The Spinners, died on Saturday at age 76. Smith was diagnosed with lung cancer in November, and passed away after complications from pneumonia over the weekend.

Smith formed The Spinners in high school, along with Bill Henderson, Pervis Jackson and Henry Fambrough. Of the four original members, Fambrough is the only one surviving. He said today of his deceased friend and bandmate, "Bobby was a regular, down-to-earth, good-natured person, the kind of guy who’d give you his shirt. And ever since I’ve known him, he was just a natural showman."

Despite his cancer diagnosis, Smith gave a final performance just this past February, on the Soul Train Cruise. Jessie Peck, who played in the band during the performance, said Smith went out on a strong note. "Like something out of a movie, Bobby shoots right out onstage and – showman that he is – grabs a mic and sings right on cue," Peck recounts, pointing out that Smith was not scheduled to perform on the cruise because of weakness from cancer treatments, but couldn't resist getting on stage when the band started playing his hit "Then Came You."

"The audience went bananas," he says.

The Spinners joined Motown in the early 1960s and enjoyed moderate success, but really broke out in the 1970s when they joined Atlantic Records at the urging of friend Aretha Franklin. With Atlantic, they churned out some of the biggest hits of their career, including "I'll Be Around" and "Could It Be I'm Falling in Love."

Funeral services for Smith are scheduled for next Monday in his native Detroit.

Re: Bobby Smith Of The Spinners Dead At 76

Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:26 am

TCB-FAN wrote:
031813-music-the-spinners-bobby-smith-obit-2.jpg

Bobby Smith, lead singer of Detroit group The Spinners, died on Saturday at age 76. Smith was diagnosed with lung cancer in November, and passed away after complications from pneumonia over the weekend.

Smith formed The Spinners in high school, along with Bill Henderson, Pervis Jackson and Henry Fambrough. Of the four original members, Fambrough is the only one surviving. He said today of his deceased friend and bandmate, "Bobby was a regular, down-to-earth, good-natured person, the kind of guy who’d give you his shirt. And ever since I’ve known him, he was just a natural showman."

Despite his cancer diagnosis, Smith gave a final performance just this past February, on the Soul Train Cruise. Jessie Peck, who played in the band during the performance, said Smith went out on a strong note. "Like something out of a movie, Bobby shoots right out onstage and – showman that he is – grabs a mic and sings right on cue," Peck recounts, pointing out that Smith was not scheduled to perform on the cruise because of weakness from cancer treatments, but couldn't resist getting on stage when the band started playing his hit "Then Came You."

"The audience went bananas," he says.

The Spinners joined Motown in the early 1960s and enjoyed moderate success, but really broke out in the 1970s when they joined Atlantic Records at the urging of friend Aretha Franklin. With Atlantic, they churned out some of the biggest hits of their career, including "I'll Be Around" and "Could It Be I'm Falling in Love."

Funeral services for Smith are scheduled for next Monday in his native Detroit.

Unfortunately, that image, posted at bet.com, is not the late Bobby Smith.

It's actually Henry Fambrough, who is now the sole living member of the original line-up. He still performs with the current group.

620000_Spinners.jpg
Spinners, circa 1962 (L-R): Henry Fambrough, Billy Smith, Billy Henderson, Pervis Jackson, George Dixon

Read more here -->
http://www.soulwalking.co.uk/Detroit%20Spinners.html

Someone should write that site and let them know of the error. Obviously, the Spinners are a forgotten group to whoever put up that page.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:35 am

Back to the music!

Man, time keeps passing.

The Spinners cut a lot of wonderful songs. Their mid-seventies pop peak, cuts like "It's A Shame," "I'll Be Around," "Mighty Love, Pt. 1" and so many more are indelible.

I used to love hearing these on my AM radio:

phpBB [video]

Dionne Warwicke and the Spinners "Then Came You" (Atlantic 3029, July 1974)
Billboard US Pop #1 October 26, 1974, R&B #2 September 7, 1974
Duet: Dionne Warwicke and Bobby Smith

phpBB [video]

Spinners "'They Just Can't Stop It' The (Games People Play)" (Atlantic 3284, July 1975)
Billboard US Pop #5 October 25, 1975, Soul #1 October 18, 1975
Lead vocal: Bobby Smith

Here's a great live performance from just 6 years ago:

phpBB [video]

Spinners, "'I'll Be Around" ("Late Show with David Letterman," CBS-TV - Thursday, July 27, 2006)
Lead vocal: Bobby Smith

R.I.P. Bobby Smith. And thank you for the great music.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:17 am

I can't be the only Bobby Smith fan here, can I?

Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:22 am

No, you're not alone. I've always dug It's a Shame...

Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:45 pm

guidedbyvoices wrote:No, you're not alone. I've always dug It's a Shame...

Yes, you are not alone, djc.
G.C. Cameron sang lead in It's a Shame.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:53 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:I can't be the only Bobby Smith fan here, can I?

No way! I love the Spinners I have them on my Galaxy 3. My favorite is "Could It Be I'm Falling In Love" They made some classic songs that will live forever.

RIP Bobby, Thank you for all the wonderful music!

Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:14 am

If only BET cared enough to actually post a photo of Bobby Smith on their Bobby Smith obituary page.

I wrote the site. No change.

Hacks.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:32 am

I'm a fan. So many passings lately. Gets you down.

But to post the wrong photo - that stinks.

Thanks for the music.

I hope he rests in peace.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:45 am

rjm wrote:I'm a fan. So many passings lately. Gets you down.

But to post the wrong photo - that stinks.

Not only is it the wrong Spinner, but the photo is of the last remaining original member.

I wonder how Henry Fambrough felt when he saw that webpage?

Like I said, that site is obviously run by hacks.