Off Topic Messages

Re: Bob Dylan

Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:43 am

Mr Moon, perfection DOES exist, listen to Elvis' gospel track 'Stand By Me'. :)

Not really much of a Dylan person but after reading this thread have ordered the Bootleg Sessions vol 1-3, will give it a listen to, if I don't like it my brother in law loves him.

Re: Bob Dylan

Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:17 am

Mister Moon wrote:It's funny how things happen.

Unexpectedly, today is a Dylan day for me. Just a few hours ago, I found a sealed, brand new copy of "The Witmark Demos", the "Bootleg Series" edition with the big booklet (not the recent plastic cover reissue) for just 13€. I've yet to hear it, but I see it contains "Tomorrow Is A Long Time". And also a ton of other favorites, like "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall", "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right" and so on. I doubt the official studio versions of those latter titles can be surpassed (by Bob himself, or by anyone else). But it's always a treat to hear different renditions of classic songs.

Regarding Dylan documentaries, yes rjm, "No Direction Home" and "The Other Side Of The Mirror" are wonderful. And so is "Dont Look Back", which on its extended 2-DVD form is an absolute Dylan feast.

I went to see "No Direction Home" on the day of its premiere and was stunned. I mean, I could have stayed two or three more hours sitting there. Great stuff. However, I was a bit disappointed that for all the thousand and a half other performers that are featured in the documentary, no footage of Elvis is included. That's a very, very weak point, knowing as we do that Dylan respects Elvis very much. Perhaps it was Scorsese's choice to do so, I don't know.

Well, I guess perfection doesn't exist.

Well, they focused on the more unusual of his early influences in terms of pop/rock, and so you see Johnnie Ray. They did show Hank Williams, so you have a point, there. The idea was to look at things from a slightly different angle. I liked the bit about the traveling carnivals, where they'd have very different things going on at the same time, and you can "see" some of his songs in that. For the rest, you are introduced to the folkie crowd.

Elvis is mentioned, sort of, when he compares Grossman to Parker.

rjm