Off Topic Messages

Bob Dylan

Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:40 pm

I'm reading Chronicles Vol.1 and would like some Bob Dylan help. Can I get some recommendations for 2 or 3 essential books to read and what to listen to. I want to go beyond the Greatest Hits route. What are 10 or 15 albums I have to listen to? I'm not opposed to getting some box sets, I just don't want to take the easy way out and listen to 3 greatest hits releases and miss out on some other great tracks that weren't really commercial. Any help is welcome.

Re: Bob Dylan

Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:43 pm

10-15 albums?

Freewheeling thru Nashville skyline. All of it.
Blood on tracks
Live 1966
Bootleg series vol 1-3

And for chronicles, add Oh mercy

For late period stuff I love Love and Theft

I love Dylan but he's not the kind of artist you can expect to get much out of by sucking in 15 CDs at once. In my early 20s I only liked the acoustic stuff. Thirties I loved bringing it all back home and hwy 61 but blonde on blonde took a few more years. Nashville skyline I hated for decades till recently, and now I absolutely love it. Dylan pays off best for me by obsessing over a small period, putting him down, and coming back to him.

Even if you hate the music, chronicles is a fantastic book

Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:04 am

johngael wrote:I'm reading Chronicles Vol.1 and would like some Bob Dylan help. Can I get some recommendations for 2 or 3 essential books to read and what to listen to. I want to go beyond the Greatest Hits route. What are 10 or 15 albums I have to listen to? I'm not opposed to getting some box sets, I just don't want to take the easy way out and listen to 3 greatest hits releases and miss out on some other great tracks that weren't really commercial. Any help is welcome.

Bob Dylan is a fascinating, inspiring and massively-influential artist.

The world would be a far different place had he not arrived in 1961.

660500_Bob Dylan.JPG

First off, nearly all the 1960s albums are essential.

Next, almost all the outtakes from those essential albums should be heard. Seriously!

He was on fire then.

Below are some purchase ideas. Good luck!

Essential Albums
The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan (1963)
The Times They Are a-Changin' (1964)
Another Side of Bob Dylan (1964)
Bringing It All Back Home (1965)
Highway 61 Revisited (1965)
Blonde on Blonde (1966)
John Wesley Harding (1967)
Before the Flood (1974)
Blood on the Tracks (1975)
The Basement Tapes (1975)
Masterpieces (1978)
Infidels (1983)
The Bootleg Series Volumes 1–3 (Rare & Unreleased) 1961–1991 (1991)
The Bootleg Series Vol. 4: Bob Dylan Live 1966, The "Royal Albert Hall" Concert (1996)
Time Out of Mind (1997)

See -->
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Dylan_discography

Essential Books
David Dalton, Who Is That Man?: In Search of the Real Bob Dylan (New York: Hyperion, 2012)
Bill Flanagan, Written in My Soul: Conversations With Rock's Great Songwriters (New York: McGraw-Hill/Contemporary Books, 1987)
Greil Marcus, Like a Rolling Stone: Bob Dylan at the Crossroads (New York: Faber and Faber, 2005)
Anthony Scaduto, Bob Dylan (reprint, London: Helter Skelter, 2001)
Robert Shelton, No Direction Home: The Life and Music of Bob Dylan (revised and updated edition, Milwaukee: Backbeat Books, 2011)

See -->
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Dylan#References
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:05 am

If you don't need Greatest Hits section anymore, forget Masterpieces. Find also Desire, Slow Train Coming and Oh Mercy, plus The Bootleg Series Vol. 5: Bob Dylan Live 1975.

And don't forget to read Behind The Shades. The Biography - Take Two /or Revisted by Clinton Heylin. You might find also Down the Higway by Howard Sounes interesting.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:49 am

You can't go wrong with the golden trilogy:
- bringing it all back home;
- Highway 61;
- Blonde on blonde.

I should start with those.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:25 am

Thanks for your help everybody. Any other suggestions?

Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:02 am

Albert Goldman wrote:If you don't need Greatest Hits section anymore, forget Masterpieces.

Masterpieces is not a typical hits set. Rather, it is a carefully-chosen collection on my album list, important for the great number of essential, non-LP tracks not found on any of my other titles. In fact 21 of the 39 songs are NOT repeated on the other recommendations.

Masterpieces (Bob_Dylan_album)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masterpieces_(Bob_Dylan_album)

Thanks for popping in.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:03 am

johngael wrote:Thanks for your help everybody. Any other suggestions?

Are 10 albums (two double sets), 3 multi-disc collections and 5 significant books not enough?

Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:51 am

That's a cool Liberace avatar! 8) I didn't get to see Liberace in person,(I believe I saw some of the crowd, but not Liberace?) but I DID get to hear him live outside the venue he was performing at Expo 86 in Vancouver, and it was really something, what a showman!!!! I also saw Jerry Lee Lewis and Fat's Domino with my family at Expo. 8)

Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:17 pm

Good luck with finding a copy of Masterpieces at a reasonable price...

I'm with guidedbyvoices here - forget the idea of picking up a truckload of discs in one go, just do what people used to do years ago, back in the days when music was there to be savoured rather than scarfed down like a starving man in an all-you-can-eat restaurant. Just buy an album, play it, learn to love it, then buy another and do the same. If you stick to the 60s records to begin with, you'll not go wrong.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:20 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Albert Goldman wrote:If you don't need Greatest Hits section anymore, forget Masterpieces.

Masterpieces is not a typical hits set. Rather, it is a carefully-chosen collection on my album list, important for the great number of essential, non-LP tracks not found on any of my other titles. In fact 21 of the 39 songs are NOT repeated on the other recommendations.

Masterpieces (Bob_Dylan_album)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masterpieces_(Bob_Dylan_album)

Thanks for popping in.

You're welcome.

I'm more than familiar with this collection. Please don't play a Dylan expert with google: do you really think that a collection with Rita May is more essential than Desire album? That is something that will amuse real Dylan fans. In fact, Desire seems to appeal many non-fans, that is why I recommended it.

And please, don't get me wrong. Masterpieces is a great collection, but there are better things waiting for a new fan than live version of Like A Rolling Stone from Isle of Wight.... It is a greatest hits collection with few rareties but is a greatest hits collection anyway: johngael wanted to go beyond that route.

And I just wanted to help johngael to find better music, not to order a wikipedia link for an album that I have been playing all my life.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:14 pm

Doc- I really appreciate your input. Honestly. But I like multiple perspectives from multipe people. I like to see all sides, not take just one or two people's recommendations and go with that. Your help carries great weight, but not the ONLY weight. Thanks to those who responded with their thoughts and direction. It is very much so appreciated.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:16 pm

Albert Goldman wrote:I'm more than familiar with this collection ...

Evidently not.

And don't play that condescending bs game with me. I've owned the CD version of Masterpieces for years.

Adiós, muchacho!

Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:25 pm

Been a Dylan fan almost as long as I've been an Elvis fan! So these are my recommendations:

Studio albums:
The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
Bringing It All Back Home
Highway 61 Revisited
Blonde On Blonde
John Wesley Harding
Blood On The Tracks
Desire
Infidels
Oh Mercy
Time Out Of Mind
"Love And Theft"

Live albums:
The Bootleg Series Vol. 4: Bob Dylan Live 1966, The "Royal Albert Hall" Concert
The Bootleg Series Vol. 5: Bob Dylan Live 1975, The Rolling Thunder Revue

Complilations:
Dylan (3 CD box set from 2007)

Books:
Lyrics, 1962-2001

Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:04 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Evidently not.

And don't play that condescending bs game with me. I've owned the CD version of Masterpieces for years.

Adiós, muchacho!

For years? Good for you. You do realize that this album was released in vinyl years before CDs?

Anyway, if this greatest hits collection really appeals to you, google Desire - or maybe some other classic Dylan album from your own list - next.

Adios, Mr. Jones!

Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:12 am

Hav-A-Tampa wrote:Been a Dylan fan almost as long as I've been an Elvis fan! So these are my recommendations:

Studio albums:
The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
Bringing It All Back Home
Highway 61 Revisited
Blonde On Blonde
John Wesley Harding
Blood On The Tracks
Desire
Infidels
Oh Mercy
Time Out Of Mind
"Love And Theft"

Live albums:
The Bootleg Series Vol. 4: Bob Dylan Live 1966, The "Royal Albert Hall" Concert
The Bootleg Series Vol. 5: Bob Dylan Live 1975, The Rolling Thunder Revue

Complilations:
Dylan (3 CD box set from 2007)

Books:
Lyrics, 1962-2001

Great list! If these albums do not turn you to Dylan, he is just not your cup of tea.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:23 am

Thank you everyone for your input. Got a few discs today with a few more to come on Tuesday.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:37 am

johngael wrote:Thank you everyone for your input. Got a few discs today with a few more to come on Tuesday.

I hope you enjoy them!

Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:20 am

Listening to Blood On The Tracks right now. Brilliant! Does anyone recommend Biograph? I may be able to get it for $11.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:44 am

Albert Goldman wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Evidently not.

Adiós, muchacho!

For years? Good for you. You do realize that this album was released in vinyl years before CDs?

Condescension is such a weapon!

Yes in 1978. A triple-LP foldout. I own one. That's why I know what I'm talking about, and you do not. ;-)

Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:48 am

johngael wrote:Listening to Blood On The Tracks right now. Brilliant! Does anyone recommend Biograph? I may be able to get it for $11.

For $11.00, it's worth having. Using my list as the reference point, it almost fills in as many gaps as Masterpieces.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:11 am

I'm not sure why anyone would recommend Masterpieces to a novice Bob Dylan fan when it has been out of print for years, and second-hand is really quite expensive. That's surely not the way to go if you are wanting to start to explore an artists work? Would you recommend a $70 set to someone wanting to explore Elvis's work for the first time to see if they liked it?

Biograph isn't perfect, but is cheap and covers most bases of Dylan's career up to the point of its release, and is as good an entry point as any to Dylan's work, and avoids being a simple greatest hits effort.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:48 am

poormadpeter wrote:I'm not sure why anyone would recommend Masterpieces to a novice Bob Dylan fan when it has been out of print for years, and second-hand is really quite expensive. That's surely not the way to go if you are wanting to start to explore an artists work? Would you recommend a $70 set to someone wanting to explore Elvis's work for the first time to see if they liked it?

If one reads with care, the person plans on buying 10-15 albums, and wants to get a slew of books as well.

One might assume their budget will allow such extravagances as a copy of Masterpieces.

In fact, one may be had not for $70, but about $46 (£30.95) right now, on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bob-Dylan-Masterpieces-3CD-CD-AUS-Columbia-462448-9-/111010531269

Live and learn! ;-)

Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:52 am

johngael wrote:Thank you everyone for your input. Got a few discs today with a few more to come on Tuesday.

What did you go for in the end John?

Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:49 am

poormadpeter wrote:I'm not sure why anyone would recommend Masterpieces to a novice Bob Dylan fan when it has been out of print for years, and second-hand is really quite expensive.

Because he doesn't know anything about Dylan, Mr. Jones is just an arrogant Google-guy.