Off Topic Messages

Cultural difference

Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:14 am

There seems to be a huge cultural difference between the USA and Europe.
In Europe fans are mainly interested in the music of Elvis and publish and buy books about the recordingdates, interviews with musicians and songwriters and such.
In the USA the fans are more interested in the private life of Elvis and thus you get books about Elvis' private life and photobooks.
So it's a choice between "Recording sessions" or "Elvis what happened?".
So it's a choice between "Elvis Presley und seine Filme" or "Revelations from the Memphis Mafia".
So it's a choice between "Bootleg Elvis" or "Elvis and me".
The list goes on and on.

As far as the releases go, the USA gives uninspiring titles like "Elvis sings for children and grownups too" or "He walks beside me" while Europe got great releases like "Rare Elvis", "The Sun sessions" (later copied in the USA but with an uninspiring sleeve), "The EP collection" (featuring previously unreleased outtakes!) and not forgetting it was in Europe that the FTD label was created.

While after Elvis' passing the USA hardly released anything interesting for the fans, in Europe the bootlegs with previously unreleased materal flooded the market and kept Elvis' musical legacy alive. In the USA all you could buy were slanderous books by former hangers-on and employees and an intellectual writer called Albert goldman (helped by former hanger-on Lamar Fike, who got a nice credit in the book).

In the USA they adore the former employees and hangers-on while in Europe the fans prefer to talk to the musicians.European!

Even this board about an American singer is European!

Re: Cultural difference

Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:04 pm

That is unfair, prejudiced, and wrong.

I was interested in the music since day one. And I'm not the only one!

I have never been off U.S. soil, and I hated the dumb posthumous releases, and we had PLENTY of boots! I still enjoy the early vinyl boots.

But, yes I am interested in both the singer and the songs. Your dichotomy is false. And is this a joke or what?

rjm

Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:21 pm

agree Robin....I'm interested in the 'whole package'.....Man and music

Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:52 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote:There seems to be a huge cultural difference between the USA and Europe.
In Europe fans are mainly interested in the music of Elvis and publish and buy books about the recordingdates, interviews with musicians and songwriters and such.
In the USA the fans are more interested in the private life of Elvis and thus you get books about Elvis' private life and photobooks.

What facts have you gathered to support such outlandish allegations?

Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:36 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
zolderopruiming1 wrote:There seems to be a huge cultural difference between the USA and Europe.

Observing releases 1956-2013.
Books, records, newspapers.
Then there's FECC......

Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:55 pm

What a load of old pony.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:33 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Then there's FECC......

You should publish your findings.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:52 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
zolderopruiming1 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Then there's FECC......

That's what I did a few posts up. For free!

Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:12 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
zolderopruiming1 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:What facts have you gathered to support such outlandish allegations?

Then there's FECC......

That's what I did a few posts up. For free!

That's kind of pricey for what you get.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:52 pm

So it's a choice between "Elvis Presley und seine Filme" or "Revelations from the Memphis Mafia".
The list goes on and on.

As far as the releases go, the USA gives uninspiring titles like "Elvis sings for children and grownups too" or "He walks beside me" while Europe got great releases like "Rare Elvis", "The Sun sessions" (later copied in the USA but with an uninspiring sleeve), "The EP collection" (featuring previously unreleased outtakes!) and not forgetting it was in Europe that the FTD label was created.

While after Elvis' passing the USA hardly released anything interesting for the fans, in Europe the bootlegs with previously unreleased materal flooded the market and kept Elvis' musical legacy alive. In the USA all you could buy were slanderous books by former hangers-on and employees and an intellectual writer called Albert goldman (helped by former hanger-on Lamar Fike, who got a nice credit in the book).

In the USA they adore the former employees and hangers-on while in Europe the fans prefer to talk to the musicians.European!

Even this board about an American singer is European!

You forget that FECC has contributors from Canada, the USA and many other countries. Your comments are general in nature and paint with a very broad brush. I hope we all continue to enjoy the man and his music.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:13 pm

The list goes on and on.

i agree with you 8)

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:52 am

tcb4 wrote:
The list goes on and on.

i agree with you 8)

You should make a poll topic.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:51 pm

The man and the music,all is of interest to me .regardless of country of origin