Off Topic Messages

Country Singer Stompin' Tom Connors Dead At 77

Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:06 pm

Image


Canadian country-folk singer Stompin' Tom Connors passed a way peacefully, surrounded by family, at age 77. His patriotism made him one of Canada's biggest cultural icons. He was best known for the Hockey song, Sudbury Saturday night and Bud the spud.

Stompin' Tom Connors was born in Saint John, New Brunswick, as Charles Thomas Connors on February 9, 1936. After living shortly with his mother, Isabelle Connors in a low security woman's penitentiary he was adopted by the Aylward family in Skinners Pond, Prince Edward Island. He left home, having completed Grade 9, and hitchiked across Canada at the age of 15.
At his last stop in Timmins, Ontario, which may also have been his big "break", he found himself a nickel short of a beer at the city's Maple Leaf Hotel. The bartender, Gaet Lepine, agreed to give Tom a beer if he would play a few songs. These few songs turned into a 13-month contract to play at the hotel, a weekly spot on the CKGB radio station in Timmins, eight 45-RPM recordings, and the end of the beginning for Tom Connors.
The Hockey song is known by every Canadian that follows hockey. His three most famous songs, The Hockey Song, Sudbury Saturday Night and Bud the spud are played at every Toronto Maple Leafs home game.
Unlike many of his Canadian counterparts, Connors never left Canada and wide commercial appeal eluded his career, spanning over four decades. His songs are truly regarded as veritable national anthems thanks to their unabashed embrace of all things Canadiana, according to USA Today.
"The hockey song was the biggest one," Edwards said. "Domestically he was known everywhere."
Connors interrupted his career for 12 years as a protest for the lack of support given to Canadian artists. He packaged up his Juno awards and returned them. He said as far as he was concerned those awards could be given the border jumpers and perhaps presented by US country singer Charlie Pride.
On Twitter, Prime Minister Stephen Harper said "we have lost a true Canadian original. R.I.P. Stompin' Tom Connors. You played the best game that could be played."
The National Hockey League tweeted: "Sad to hear that legendary Canadian Stompin' Tom Connors has passed. His legacy lives on in arenas every time 'The Hockey Song' is played."
Stompin' Tom Connors was rarely seen without his black signature cowboy hat and cowboy boots. According to the Windsor Star, Connors knew that his health was declining and he penned a message on his website stating that Canada kept him “inspired with it’s beauty, character, and spirit, driving me to keep marching on and devoted to sing about its people and places that make Canada the greatest country in the world.”
The Winnipeg Free Press reports that Tom Connors patriotism continued to the end. He said in his letter that he hoped his work would continue to "bring a little bit of cheer" into people's lives even after his death and called on his fans to continue to bring Canadiana to the world.
"I must now pass the torch, to all of you, to help keep the Maple Leaf flying high, and be the patriot Canada needs now and in the future."
Stompin Tom Connors is truly a Canadian icon, Although his songs are seldom heard outside of Canada, his "The Hockey Song" is known across rinks around he world. Stomping Tom will be truly missed by all Canadians. May he go on stomping on the big stage in the sky. Rest in peace Stomping Tom.

Re: Country Singer Stompin' Tom Connors Dead At 77

Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:13 pm

He will truly be missed.

Anyone ever heard of him?

Re: Country Singer Stompin' Tom Connors Dead At 77

Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:19 pm

Rob wrote:Anyone ever heard of him?

Well, it says he was surrounded by his family, but let's be honest, how many people can you fit round a bed?

Re: Country Singer Stompin' Tom Connors Dead At 77

Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:22 pm

The Pirate wrote:
Rob wrote:Anyone ever heard of him?

Well, it says he was surrounded by his family, but let's be honest, how many people can you fit round a bed?



I think what Rob meant was if anyone ever heard of his work...singing, performing. Well, some of my Canuck friends are huge fans of Stompin' Tom, so obviously he has a huge fan base in Canada. Elsewhere like the UK, US, Aussie,...not so much. Stompin Tom only toured Canada.

Re: Country Singer Stompin' Tom Connors Dead At 77

Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:54 pm

Stompin' Tom will be sorely missed... he is a true Canadian legend and one of a kind. There's not a Canadian alive who hasn't heard The Hockey Song played at minor hockey or professional hockey games throughout our country. God bless you, Tom.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Country Singer Stompin' Tom Connors Dead At 77

Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:13 pm

Rob wrote:He will truly be missed.

Anyone ever heard of him?


RIP Stompin' Tom. Please forgive Rob. I'll give him a stompin' next time I see him.

Re: Country Singer Stompin' Tom Connors Dead At 77

Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:13 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:Image


Canadian country-folk singer Stompin' Tom Connors passed a way peacefully, surrounded by family, at age 77. His patriotism made him one of Canada's biggest cultural icons. He was best known for the Hockey song, Sudbury Saturday night and Bud the spud.

Stompin' Tom Connors was born in Saint John, New Brunswick, as Charles Thomas Connors on February 9, 1936. After living shortly with his mother, Isabelle Connors in a low security woman's penitentiary he was adopted by the Aylward family in Skinners Pond, Prince Edward Island. He left home, having completed Grade 9, and hitchiked across Canada at the age of 15.
At his last stop in Timmins, Ontario, which may also have been his big "break", he found himself a nickel short of a beer at the city's Maple Leaf Hotel. The bartender, Gaet Lepine, agreed to give Tom a beer if he would play a few songs. These few songs turned into a 13-month contract to play at the hotel, a weekly spot on the CKGB radio station in Timmins, eight 45-RPM recordings, and the end of the beginning for Tom Connors.
The Hockey song is known by every Canadian that follows hockey. His three most famous songs, The Hockey Song, Sudbury Saturday Night and Bud the spud are played at every Toronto Maple Leafs home game.
Unlike many of his Canadian counterparts, Connors never left Canada and wide commercial appeal eluded his career, spanning over four decades. His songs are truly regarded as veritable national anthems thanks to their unabashed embrace of all things Canadiana, according to USA Today.
"The hockey song was the biggest one," Edwards said. "Domestically he was known everywhere."
Connors interrupted his career for 12 years as a protest for the lack of support given to Canadian artists. He packaged up his Juno awards and returned them. He said as far as he was concerned those awards could be given the border jumpers and perhaps presented by US country singer Charlie Pride.
On Twitter, Prime Minister Stephen Harper said "we have lost a true Canadian original. R.I.P. Stompin' Tom Connors. You played the best game that could be played."
The National Hockey League tweeted: "Sad to hear that legendary Canadian Stompin' Tom Connors has passed. His legacy lives on in arenas every time 'The Hockey Song' is played."
Stompin' Tom Connors was rarely seen without his black signature cowboy hat and cowboy boots. According to the Windsor Star, Connors knew that his health was declining and he penned a message on his website stating that Canada kept him “inspired with it’s beauty, character, and spirit, driving me to keep marching on and devoted to sing about its people and places that make Canada the greatest country in the world.”
The Winnipeg Free Press reports that Tom Connors patriotism continued to the end. He said in his letter that he hoped his work would continue to "bring a little bit of cheer" into people's lives even after his death and called on his fans to continue to bring Canadiana to the world.
"I must now pass the torch, to all of you, to help keep the Maple Leaf flying high, and be the patriot Canada needs now and in the future."
Stompin Tom Connors is truly a Canadian icon, Although his songs are seldom heard outside of Canada, his "The Hockey Song" is known across rinks around he world. Stomping Tom will be truly missed by all Canadians. May he go on stomping on the big stage in the sky. Rest in peace Stomping Tom.


Thanks for letting everyone know.

Re: Country Singer Stompin' Tom Connors Dead At 77

Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:47 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:
The Pirate wrote:
Rob wrote:Anyone ever heard of him?

Well, it says he was surrounded by his family, but let's be honest, how many people can you fit round a bed?



I think what Rob meant was if anyone ever heard of his work...singing, performing. Well, some of my Canuck friends are huge fans of Stompin' Tom, so obviously he has a huge fan base in Canada. Elsewhere like the UK, US, Aussie,...not so much. Stompin Tom only toured Canada.

Duh......

Re: Country Singer Stompin' Tom Connors Dead At 77

Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:26 am

The Pirate wrote:
TCB-FAN wrote:
The Pirate wrote:
Rob wrote:Anyone ever heard of him?

Well, it says he was surrounded by his family, but let's be honest, how many people can you fit round a bed?



I think what Rob meant was if anyone ever heard of his work...singing, performing. Well, some of my Canuck friends are huge fans of Stompin' Tom, so obviously he has a huge fan base in Canada. Elsewhere like the UK, US, Aussie,...not so much. Stompin Tom only toured Canada.

Duh......



To you its "Duh", but to many who have never heard of this guy ..it's "HUH ????"

Re: Country Singer Stompin' Tom Connors Dead At 77

Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:07 am

You sure get some ignorant comments! God bless you Stompin' Tom Connors.

Re: Country Singer Stompin' Tom Connors Dead At 77

Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:36 am

Stompin' Tom doing some of his classics, Big Joe Mufferaw (Live 2005) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy3knGGzZr8

Sudbury Saturday Night (Live 2005) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw7rzpvDvS0

Bud The Spud (Live 2005) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNEg65rlnu4

The Good 'Old Hockey Game - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SXNCnf15EA & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxIJPMVHBDk

Re: Country Singer Stompin' Tom Connors Dead At 77

Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:10 pm

Rob wrote:He will truly be missed.

Anyone ever heard of him?

Nope.