Off Topic Messages

Actress Valerie Harper Has Brain Cancer

Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:40 pm

Actress Valerie Harper, best known to TV viewers for her memorable '70s role of Rhoda Morgenstern on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" and later "Rhoda," has been diagnosed with terminal brain cancer.

People magazine revealed the news Wednesday morning.

"I don't think of dying," the 73-year-old told the magazine. "I think of being here now."

According to the publication, Harper underwent tests that revealed she has a condition known as leptomeningeal carcinomatosis, and has been told by doctors that she could have as little as three months to live.

"I've had a good run," she told People. "What more could I ask for?"

In Harper's recent memoir, "I, Rhoda," she revealed an earlier battle with lung cancer in 2009. She learned of her current condition on Jan. 15 of this year.

Re: Actress Valerie Harper Has Brain Cancer

Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:06 pm

She was great in Mary Tyler Moore, her own show and a guest appearance on That 70's Show! I'm really sorry to hear about her problems with cancer, she sounds like a wonderful person, and I wish her all of the best!! If it's not bad enough to get cancer once, she get's it twice :!: :roll:

Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:54 am

Very sad news -- Valerie is a great actress. I will say a prayer for her and her loved ones.

Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:16 am

I liked Rhoda wayyyy more than Mary Richards. I always thought Mary was too conceited.