Off Topic Messages

Johnny Cash and Charlie Feathers in Mt Pleasant

Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:34 am

Just in time for Johnny's birthday

http://scottymoore.net/MtPleasant.html

Jim

Re: Johnny Cash and Charlie Feathers in Mt Pleasant

Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:45 am

Thanks James,really enjoyed that ,the photo's and words from Robin are a delight.

norrie

Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:07 am

Enjoyed this very much, thank you James!

Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:57 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:Just in time for Johnny's birthday

http://scottymoore.net/MtPleasant.html

Jim

Those photos are terrific. Another great page, thank you.

Note that Feathers had a Sun release around the same time as Cash:

Flip 503 / SUN 503 Charlie Feathers
I've Been Deceived / Peepin' Eyes (March 1955)

SUN 221 Johnny Cash and the Tennessee Two
Hey, Porter! / Cry! Cry! Cry! (June 1955)

It is possible the photos are from a gig circa June, July or August?

Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:35 pm

Those are my thoughts as well. Frank seemed to think they were 1954 but I don't believe they would've been touring that early, least of all together. The guitar Johnny's playing though is the one Marshall is said to have given him when he started playing bass beause Johnny's wasn't good enough. He gave it (back) to Marshall years later. You can also see what looks to be Luther's Silvertone amp off to the right in two of the photos.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:55 am

JamesVRoy wrote:Those are my thoughts as well. Frank seemed to think they were 1954 but I don't believe they would've been touring that early, least of all together. The guitar Johnny's playing though is the one Marshall is said to have given him when he started playing bass beause Johnny's wasn't good enough. He gave it (back) to Marshall years later. You can also see what looks to be Luther's Silvertone amp off to the right in two of the photos.

IIRC, the Saturday, August 6, 1955 Memphis Press-Scimitar published a full-page piece on the Overton Shell concert from the day before, entitled "4000 Jam Shell, Hundreds Turned Away—Country Rhythm Fills a Country Park." It included a photo of Elvis and another of Johnny, possibly with Cash holding his acoustic.

Do you have a scan?

Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:52 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:Those are my thoughts as well. Frank seemed to think they were 1954 but I don't believe they would've been touring that early, least of all together. The guitar Johnny's playing though is the one Marshall is said to have given him when he started playing bass beause Johnny's wasn't good enough. He gave it (back) to Marshall years later. You can also see what looks to be Luther's Silvertone amp off to the right in two of the photos.

IIRC, the Saturday, August 6, 1955 Memphis Press-Scimitar published a full-page piece on the Overton Shell concert from the day before, entitled "4000 Jam Shell, Hundreds Turned Away—Country Rhythm Fills a Country Park." It included a photo of Elvis and another of Johnny, possibly with Cash holding his acoustic.

Do you have a scan?

I thought I did, but I'll be darned if I know where it is.

OK, just found one in Ger's Long Lonely Highway. Its a different guitar, some model of an f-hole archtop, doesn't look to be expensive.
august.jpg

This is the guitar and amp used in the photos on stage by Johnny and Luther.
instruments.jpg

Oddly though, in spite of how Marshall caption the photo, the guitar is not the one pictured here with Johnny at Sun.
johnnycash_remix2_v_e.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:00 am

Could've been easily posted in the "Classic Artists" section. :)

Thank you for sharing, James, wonderful stuff!

Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:37 am

JamesVRoy wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Do you have a scan?

I thought I did, but I'll be darned if I know where it is.

OK, just found one in Ger's Long Lonely Highway. Its a different guitar, some model of an f-hole archtop, doesn't look to be expensive.
august.jpg

This is the guitar and amp used in the photos on stage by Johnny and Luther.
instruments.jpg

Oddly though, in spite of how Marshall caption the photo, the guitar is not the one pictured here with Johnny at Sun.
johnnycash_remix2_v_e.jpg

Thanks. Yup, it's a different guitar Johnny is holding. Of course, like Elvis' photo, it was probably taken backstage, and this means it's possible the guitar Cash used in his set was another model.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.