Off Topic Messages

NOKIA LUMIA SD Card Problems? Anyone understand?

Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:41 pm

I have all my files on micro SD card which I drag and drop from the laptop. They are in folders by album title and then the tracks are within them in order.

This has worked fine on my old Nokia 300 but now I have tried a new Nokia Lumia for my upgrade and when i put the card in, the tracks are all oddly mixed up - not within their subfolders, tracks missing and no apparent running order or organisation.

I have tried the card in my wife's phone, and my two sons phones, all which are different and they all do the same thing.

Does anyone out there know what's going on here.

I have thousands of radio series which I listen to each day by episode order, so having them all mixed up is no good to me whatsoever.

How do I drag and drop my files so that when my sd card is in my phone, the files display and work the same way as they do when I put the micro SD into an adaptor and put it in my laptop or my old phone?

I hope someone can help as it's driving me insane! Bloody technology!

I HATE touchscreen! And qwerty keyboards on a phone are just WRONG!!! ARRRRRGH!

Re: NOKIA LUMIA SD Card Problems? Anyone understand?

Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:21 am

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:How do I drag and drop my files so that when my sd card is in my phone, the files display and work the same way as they do when I put the micro SD into an adaptor and put it in my laptop or my old phone?

If they are MP3s, are they correctly tagged? Or are you just relying on the fact that they are in folders?

Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:51 pm

How do you mean? They are all labelled etc and named and numbered.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:11 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:How do you mean? They are all labelled etc and named and numbered.

That is not the same thing. I don't know how it's done manually, but if it's in a "library" of tunes in a media program, you can make sure each track has all the significant info. If bought or properly imported and ID'd, the tags should stick.

Music files are not like other files.

When I got my new phone, the Amazon program moved everything over like magic. Even "on device" appeared on the new device! Lucky, or it works through the cloud. And I only keep some music for the phone. And it knew.

Is it the same operating system? Lumina is Windows.. The apps aren't all there yet.

Hope you get more help. (Tip: the software forum here is up and running.)

Good luck.
rjm

Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:30 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:How do you mean? They are all labelled etc and named and numbered.

If you give the files a number and name, and put them into separate folders, then sure enough when you go to play them on your PC - presumably one folder at a time - they'll play in order. However, as well as those names each file will have what they call "tags" attached, which are invisible until you display the files in the right programme. These tags might include the name, the album, track number, the year, genre, all those things. And it's those things - particularly the name, album and track number - that are going to determine how the phone sorts and plays them.

You can download a program called Tag Scanner (for free) at

http://www.xdlab.ru/en/index.htm

If you install that, and then display some of the folders, hopefully you'll get an idea of what I mean. I'm sure somebody here will be able to explain it a lot better than I have done as well.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:35 pm

Psst: Go to software section. (I already told all I know.)

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2