Off Topic Messages

The Doors - Crawling King Snake (1971)

Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:16 am

As filmed and broadcasted on the Australian GTK (Getting to Know) Rock Music program.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTDpw7gJxlw[youtube][/youtube]

Re: The Doors - Crawling King Snake (1971)

Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:43 pm

Cool footage, don't think I've ever seen that before. Guess Jerry Scheff was out of the room that day.

Can't say enough about the greatness of the LA Woman album or The Doors in general. The first time I saw any images from those sessions was when I bought 'An Hour For Magic', the book by photographer and Doors associate Frank Lisciandro. I picked it up when I was about 15 years old in '81 or '82. At that point I was a hardcore Doors fan already having read 'No One Here Gets Out Alive' probably the year before and seeing The Doors Are Open footage during a late Saturday night broadcast of Don Kirshner's Rock Concert. At that time the existence of the 60s and The Doors seemed like a distant myth from a far away place that never existed on earth even though all of it happened 10-15 years prior. Funny how back then young kids were captivated and influenced by things that happened either during or slightly before the time they were born. Kids now? Do they care about things from 20 years ago?

phpBB [video]

Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:21 pm

Thanks. Makes me wonder how much more film is there of the recording sessions that later became the killer record L.A. Woman :)

Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:05 am

Forgot to mention before, the last time I was in L.A. about four years ago I made it a point to find where the Doors workshop was on Santa Monica Boulevard, where they recorded LA Woman and where that footage you posted was shot. It was converted into a restaurant called Benevenuto that apparently now has closed. Pics here http://thedoors.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21261

I went inside and had a look around. News to me then, but apparently Jim did alot of the vocals for the record in the bathroom. Doesn't sound right to me but whatever. It was cool to check it out. Not too far from there right across SM Blvd.was the Alta Cienega Motel which is still there. You can rent the room Jim Morrison lived in for $75 a night.