Off Topic Messages

Re: Eight Months Later...:-(

Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:13 am

JohanD wrote:
Imagine if that ex-fiancee reads all of this...

Actually. There was a girl I was obsessed with. I used to post on her friends walls after she de-friended me. I used to say a lot of stuff in order to get her attention. I just wanted to be able to talk to her, shake hands and walk off into the sunset. God finally allowed me to have peace with it. Because I know I'll never speak to this girl again. God will give Tony peace, if he is willing to let it go. If it had been meant to be, it would have been.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:17 am

I hope stalking is not an issue here..........

Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:58 pm

fg76 wrote:There was a girl I was obsessed with.

I heard she was ran over while chasing cars.

Condolences.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:13 pm

Sun Hero wrote:I hope stalking is not an issue here..........

Nope. Just a girl I knew from High School - who parties way too much. Before I was saved, I did go to the bars her band played at - but once I was saved in Jesus' blood - I stopped drinking, going to bars, etc.. Stalking was never an issue, unless you count hanging out at that bar getting drunk for three years. (I almost do.) Only trusting in God's power and existence removed me from the bar stool.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:55 am

fg76 wrote:
FVH wrote:I'm glad you meant to write skeptic, as septic has a somewhat different meaning.

Firstly, do you actually know how many times that bible has gone through edits and changes...?
Joseph Smith even added stuff on "god's behalf" himself, for example.

Joseph Smith was a heretic, with all due respect. Satan tries to confuse people by creating similar religions. He did with Mohammed and the Muslims, and he did it with Joseph Smith. If there were any Mormons on the Elvis group, then I would try to be a little more diplomatic about this. Regardless, I personally feel Joseph Smith was merely a cult leader. I would, as a Christian, would ask a Morman what Romans 3: 10 means for them. The same with the Jehovah's Witnesses as well. As I am not here to anger, but to do my best to share the love of Christ. If I am able to.

And do you know how different it is for country to country - some versions feature that and that chapter, and others lack some of the chapters?

Yes, I am aware of this. In fact, Liberty University hosted the ETS and Dr. Dan Wallace - a person who studies critical text of the Bible. We had a great lecture today on if certain lines from Luke 24:36 were added by scribes or not. We confirmed by the evidence and textual writing style that it was original.

I am also aware of the Roman Catholics, who we don't consider a heresy, for the most part, believe certain "extra" books belong in the canon of scripture concerning the Old Testament, and I am aware of their support of certain texts that could not have occurred historically. Most Protestant Evangelicals, respectfully dismiss them. I am currently fascinated by them, but my studies in Seminary don't allow me the time to study them at this time. Yes, I am aware of them. Respectfully, it is a act of Satan to preach a different gospel as warned to by Paul in his epistles (2 Corinthians 11).

The biggest problem is, as a former skeptic, I understand your viewpoint. What we try to do as Christians is to study what understand to be the original text as written by the four New Testament authors. When I was like you, I considered it all BS too - but then I read the texts and that spoke to me and melted my heart. Even then, I wanted to ensure it wasn't just emotions. I do know, that whatever Joseph Smith "invented" was a lie. There is no historical or archaeological evidence of the stuff reported in the Book of Morman. Let, we can confirm places and events did happen in the Old and New Testaments - and when I say Old Testament - I mean the one confirmed and canonized by the Jewish People. Not the one accepted by the Greeks, and was later accepted by the Roman Catholic and Greek Orthodox churches.

I personally, as a former skeptic, actually explore all the texts and the writings. I also at the same time serve Christ as dictated by the Bible. I do not, however, as Francis Scaeffer put it, lower story/shelf my everyday life and upper story/shelf. I can understand you considering me a hypocrite, because Jesus says those who hate Me - will hate you.

And do you know that your ancestors originally were threatened on their lives and forced to believe this stuff by a malignant few?

These events didn't happen until later in the 12th and 13th centuries with the crusades. For years prior to that, Christians were put to death by the Romans and martyred. When Constantine decided to support Christianity was when real, genuine Christianity began to falter. It stopped being about Christ's sacrifice for humankind and turned into forcing people into believing something. Something the Romans were doing prior to accepting Christianity and worshiping their false idols. In fact, in the 17th century, Roger Williams formed Rhode Island on religious freedom - meaning he didn't want to force it upon anybody. That's an example of true Christianity. If you want to be an atheist, agnostic, etc.. then that's your choice. We only want to help preach the gospel as Christ as instructed us to do and save those who are lost.

So, how do you actually "live for the lord jesus christ"? What is that anyway?

It is to live as it says in Matthew 28:20 - to go to all the nations and baptize in the name of the Father, and the son, and the Holy Spirit. It is to show love, patience, loving-kindness, compassion and preaching how Christ died for us in order for us to have eternal life.

Eventually we'll be a cold stack of bones in a wooden box six feet under. And nothing else.

If that is the case, why do you care? If we all die, remember nothing and become dust and there is no God - then what does it matter to you? As Blasse Pascal once said (and I paraphrase Pascal's Wager), if God isn't real then all I lost was a few pleasures that I didn't need in the first pace. But if I am right, then the skeptic is damned to hell. If none of this really matters, why do you care? What is their to fear if there is nothing after this? Why do you act like there is something after this, if it doesn't really matter what we do or what we say? However, if God does exist and we are created in His image - then we should be attempting the best we can as our fallen nature provides is to live by His wishes. If He doesn't exist, why does it enrage you that I decide to live for Him?

You won't see "Elvis and Lennon, or whoever, jamming in heaven", as is the main stupid mantra that goes around here whenever someone in the Elvis related world dies.

No. Most of them sadly, probably will end up in Hell. So none of them will be doing any jamming. As for mantra, that is a Eastern Philosophy and has nothing to do with Christ. Easter Religions, respectfully, are another lie of the devil. I know, I practiced Transcendental Meditation for three years. It truly is a fake, evil religion.

I'll tell you one big difference between us:
I'm not willing to let a made up story that was forced upon man by sword in hand to dictate my life.

That didn't happen until much later. The first Christians were the ones that were forced by the sword to stop preaching or be killed. Peter was crucified upside down. Paul was beheaded. Many of the early Church Fathers were put to death for believing in Christianity. The problem is, you are right there were plenty of groups in the later years claiming to be Christians that were violent. Sadly, Satan will do anything to keep certain people away from Heaven, but you have a point - there were people who forced Christianity on other people. That is wrong. We only preach, and allow God's Holy Spirit to touch the person's heart. If you want to live your life, go ahead. If I am wrong, you have lost nothing for we'll all end up in the same place of nothingness. However, sadly if I am right . . .

Playing with yourself...? Are you talking about masturbation? In that case: how on earth did that get "sinful and unnatural"? If that is one of the sure ways to hell, then why didn't your "god" create you with shorter arms?

Because He wants us to obey Him and serve Him. He doesn't want us to be robots. He wants us to make the choice. Your choice is apparent, and with all due respect there was a time I thought as you do. So I can not blame you for your thinking, because it good God to open my eyes, and I refused to listen several times in my life. Yet, He loves us so much that He continued to touch my heart and brought me into repentantance.

The same love between someone of the same sex doesn't apply to "the grace of god", true?

Let me ask this question in a scientific way. Do you think scientifically, homosexuality is natural? It looks like man and women were designed for a purpose by a designer. Man has a purpose, and woman has a purpose. That isn't the Bible talking, that is the laws of science talking.

You are obviously convinced that people like these should rather waste and ruin their lives by staying in hurtful and damaging relationships rather than breaking their promise to God and have chances to get better lives?

If they are wasting their lives, then maybe they weren't meant to get married in the first place. Maybe they married for all the wrong reasons. They married out of lust, and sexual drive as you say, and not for real love.

I will never have sex until I am married, so I think we both would know if we were meant for each other or not. The whole problem with your thinking, is that you base love on sex.

I really would have hoped that you could come to these better times without having to deal with a fantasy-world full of contradictions and made-up sins.

There are no contradictions, and sins aren't made up. They are real, and the Holy Spirit tells me when I shouldn't sin. I can feel the bitterness in your heart as you just want to live life your way. Has it really been fulfilling? To know that when you die, you will be a bag of bones? That you will not accept the love of the One and true God? If my world is a fantasy-world, what does it matter if we all die and there is nothing? If life is nothing after this, then why do you care and why do you insult? You only insult because Satan drives you to insult me, so I will sin. Satan has been beaten by Jesus hanging on the cross, and respectfully if you personally confess with your mouth and your heart that God raised Him from the dead - you will be saved. Listening comes by hearing, and by hearing the Word of God! If it is all fiction, then ignore me - when I die I will be a bag of bones - so what does it matter? But if I am right, then nobody can be saved outside of trusting and having faith in God.

Peace.

TJ wrote:
fg76 wrote:The Bible has been proven to be legit history. Evidence of Christ's crucifixion has been verified by Roman historians, and the Jewish Historian Josephus.

There is debate over the validity of the Josephus references, with some scholars believing them to be later Christian insertions. With this uncertainly, it's a stretch to say that Josephus verifies the crucifixion.

There is a Arabic version of Josephus that people, including Dr. Gary Habbermas considered to be a legit statement. Their may have been some inpolizations to the texts, but based on Josephus style - we do confirm he most likely at least spoke of Jesus and how his believers (at least) thought He had raised from the dead. Taticus noted the resurrection as a superstition that was "in check for the moment" - but was beginning to get out of control again. Within only 75 years of Jesus death, He was worshiped as God by the people. Only 75 years, and not just a small cult either - but a tremendous following. Only the reality of the resurrection could verify that.

Very STUPID statement created by pure Ignorance, you simply dismiss a whole religion because it came after yours!

Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:47 pm

Chill.

He made many stupid statements created by pure ignorance, but it was a mental situation. He hasn't posted in nearly 6 months, so I have been hoping that he is receiving the help that he so desperately needs.

Let sleeping dogs lie.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:37 pm

Rob wrote:Chill.

Let sleeping dogs lie.

smt147 smt162