Off Topic Messages

Re: Elvii's on Letterman -- All Week

Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:41 am

paulsweeney wrote:Dave is my go to late night show ever since he went on the air in 1982. I've been watching him for 31 years and will continue to do so until he retires. He and Paul have always liked Elvis.

The greatest talk show host ever, oh what was his name? Just like David Letterman he was on NBC too in 1982 , well anyways he had a great respect and admiration for Elvis too!!!!! 8)
Last edited by ian on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:48 am

Dave said a few nice things tonight. During Amy Sedaris' segment, Dave asked her if she was an Elvis fan and if she was enjoying this week's tribute week. "Isn't it great?! I want Elvis back. I want Las Vegas Elvis back...we have nobody like him today." Dave was obviously very happy with the performances.

Justin Shandor performed "Can't Help Falling In Love" and when it was over Dave came out completely gushing over his performance. He asked Justin and the band to perform it again "C'mon...do it one more time!" Justin went to another encore performance of the last few lines of the song again. This was a huge deal because only once before has Dave asked a musical guest to do an encore. This was the second ever time in the history of the show that he's asked a musical guest to continue on playing beyond what they were scheduled to play.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:15 pm

When will these wannabes stop making an embarrassment to the Elvis Legacy and get a life ??!

I made it about 12 sec with this Brandon Bennet Clown before I had to go :smt078.

Any young child who has not seen Elvis and gets this as a first impression is going to think :wtf:

Shame on EPE for supporting these Clowns. :roll:

Re: Elvi on Letterman -- All Week

Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:03 pm

dhornjr1 wrote:I'm sorry but I find all these impersonators ridiculous.

Yes. Terrible, just terrible.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:02 pm

Last nights offering:

phpBB [video]

Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:18 pm

They have great hair though!

Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:31 pm

eligain wrote:Last nights offering:

phpBB [video]

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :shock: :shock: :shock: :facep: :facep: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:17 pm

ian wrote:
paulsweeney wrote:Dave is my go to late night show ever since he went on the air in 1982. I've been watching him for 31 years and will continue to do so until he retires. He and Paul have always liked Elvis.

The greatest talk show host ever, oh what was his name? Just like David Letterman he was on NBC too in 1982 , well anyways he had a great respect and admiration for Elvis too!!!!! 8)

You talking about Steve Allen???

Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:30 pm

eligain wrote:
ian wrote:

I assume he means Johnny Carson who really liked Elvis. Allen never did and was not on NBC in 1982.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:53 pm

r&b wrote:
eligain wrote:
ian wrote:

I assume he means Johnny Carson who really liked Elvis. Allen never did and was not on NBC in 1982.

I was assuming r&b was being sarcastic and meaning Steve Allen who had a short lived show on NBC in the early 80's (The Steve Allen Comedy Hour) But on second check, it had been cancelled by 82. So he must mean Carson.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:39 pm

eligain wrote:
r&b wrote:
eligain wrote:
ian wrote:

I was assuming r&b was being sarcastic and meaning Steve Allen who had a short lived show on NBC in the early 80's (The Steve Allen Comedy Hour) But on second check, it had been cancelled by 82. So he must mean Carson.

No I was being honest. Steve Allen continued to put down rock and roll until his death. I doubt he ever respected Elvis. Carson did.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:05 am

r&b wrote:
eligain wrote:
r&b wrote:
eligain wrote:
ian wrote:

No I was being honest. Steve Allen continued to put down rock and roll until his death. I doubt he ever respected Elvis. Carson did.

I'm sorry I meant that Ian was being sarcastic. No, Allen never did and yes Carson liked Elvis. I loved Steve Allen but I hated this aspect of him when it came to Elvis and Rock and Roll. He did seem to like Jerry Lee Lewis though and Lewis named his first son after him for giving him his big break but Allen never had a good word for Elvis.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:14 am

eligain wrote:
r&b wrote:
eligain wrote:
r&b wrote:
eligain wrote:
ian wrote:

I'm sorry I meant that Ian was being sarcastic. No, Allen never did and yes Carson liked Elvis. I loved Steve Allen but I hated this aspect of him when it came to Elvis and Rock and Roll. He did seem to like Jerry Lee Lewis though and Lewis named his first son after him for giving him his big break but Allen never had a good word for Elvis.

I like Steve Allen thought he was one of the wittiest guys ever on TV, but this aspect of him was so narrow-minded. Wonder why he liked the Killer (or did he just tolerate him for ratings)?

Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:00 am

Any thoughts?

http://www.tv.com/shows/late-show-with-david-letterman/watch/top-ten-signs-youre-a-bad-elvis-presley-tribute-artist-2660324/

Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:44 am

eligain wrote:
ian wrote:

Well, he did have the Steve Allen Comedy Hour (1980–1981)(discovered this info on wikipedia, and I do believe I watched some of this series when it was on), but no, I was referring to Johnny Carson, I believe he was on NBC :?: , I'm always getting all those different letters mixed up!! :smt017 :smt020 8)
Last edited by ian on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:48 am

Tonight it's Shaun Klush. Looks like he's had some horrid plastic surgery (nose job, eye job, face lift?) He ruined what ever little resemblance he had to Elvis. Face looks all F'd up.

phpBB [video]

Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:39 am

Just saw on TV. :facep:

Sheesh!

rjm

Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:58 pm

The only guys I rate out of this bunch are Cody and Ben. I know all the guys and have met them many times and worked with some. Most of them are great guys.

Ben (who's from here in the UK) is a very talented musician - he plays guitar very well, piano too. He's a music teacher and introduces Elvis music to his secondary school students all the time. He's a very tasteful guy and a big Elvis fan and collector.

Cody is a very young lad - I believe he's only around 20. He does a great job and never portrays Elvis in anything other than a positive light.

Now look - NO one sounds like Elvis. No one. That can't happen. But some of these guys have good voices in their own right - some not so. If they look good, move well and not over the top ( a real pet hate of mine) and represent Elvis in a good way - that's fine by me. I ain't ever gonna buy an ETA's CD or DVD. I don't sell CD's or DVD's of anything I do - hell, I want people to listen to and watch Elvis himself when they're at home. But despite the stigma attached to ETA,s, some are enjoyable to watch on stage. True - many many many are not. Many are embarrassing, and should NOT be on stage period, let alone as Elvis. But if it's tasteful, that's fine.

Cody was good on Letterman - I'm sure Ben will be too.

Such a shame Elvis himself ain't around to make an appearance himself.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:06 pm

Believe it or not the Elvis Tribute Week has been a big hit with viewers. People are actually praising their performances instead of criticizing them. I watched all 4 performances so far each night in HD and only Cody resembled Elvis both facially and vocally and he did all those 50's moves to perfection. Although his vocals on Jailhouse Rock were a little too deep for that particular song choice. Still a great overall performance.

The second guy, Bennett was terrible. Yet the kids loved him. And when I say kids, I mean children who they showed jumping up and down in appreciation of his performance. Whatever floats their boat I guess. :roll:

Night three was Shandor who did a good vocal performance of Can't Help Falling In Love, but it seemed too slow and boring. It was the full 1961 version. But David seemed to love it. I think it was the Vegas ending where he took it to the climatic finish that got everyone excited. Very close to Elvis there.

Klush as always, overdid it. I actually think that he thinks that he's Elvis reincarnated. His face looked horrible and old and his hair looked like it was pieced together in a minute's time. WTF? But, his vocals were as close to Elvis as I've heard yet. He nailed Suspicious Minds vocally. But his gyrations were way over the top. Elvis would have even said "slow it down a bit, man".

Tonight's the final one. And I hope he can do justice the way Cody did the first night. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Elvis Tribute Artist contest now become some type of American television reality program like American Idol. Kind of strange that Letterman and E.P.E. arranged to have Elvis Week during a non Elvis anniversary month. Maybe they were testing the waters to see how it would be received by the public.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:21 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:Believe it or not the Elvis Tribute Week has been a big hit with viewers. People are actually praising their performances instead of criticizing them. I watched all 4 performances so far each night in HD and only Cody resembled Elvis both facially and vocally and he did all those 50's moves to perfection. Although his vocals on Jailhouse Rock were a little too deep for that particular song choice. Still a great overall performance.

The second guy, Bennett was terrible. Yet the kids loved him. And when I say kids, I mean children who they showed jumping up and down in appreciation of his performance. Whatever floats their boat I guess. :roll:

Night three was Shandor who did a good vocal performance of Can't Help Falling In Love, but it seemed too slow and boring. It was the full 1961 version. But David seemed to love it. I think it was the Vegas ending where he took it to the climatic finish that got everyone excited. Very close to Elvis there.

Klush as always, overdid it. I actually think that he thinks that he's Elvis reincarnated. His face looked horrible and old and his hair looked like it was pieced together in a minute's time. WTF? But, his vocals were as close to Elvis as I've heard yet. He nailed Suspicious Minds vocally. But his gyrations were way over the top. Elvis would have even said "slow it down a bit, man".

Tonight's the final one. And I hope he can do justice the way Cody did the first night. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Elvis Tribute Artist contest now become some type of American television reality program like American Idol. Kind of strange that Letterman and E.P.E. arranged to have Elvis Week during a non Elvis anniversary month. Maybe they were testing the waters to see how it would be received by the public.

No he didn't, He didnt sound like elvis at all, he sounded like a bad impersonator of a impersonator who impersonates elvis

Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:39 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:Believe it or not the Elvis Tribute Week has been a big hit with viewers. People are actually praising their performances instead of criticizing them. I watched all 4 performances so far each night in HD and only Cody resembled Elvis both facially and vocally and he did all those 50's moves to perfection. Although his vocals on Jailhouse Rock were a little too deep for that particular song choice. Still a great overall performance.

No he didn't, He didnt sound like elvis at all, he sounded like a bad impersonator of a impersonator who impersonates elvis

Agreed... but his drummer sounded great!! :smt023

Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:11 pm

Shaun Klush is annoying the way he continues to act like Elvis off stage. He did sort of resemble Elvis from afar and had many of his mannerisms down pat but now his plastic surgery makes him look like Pee Wee Herman in the face, not that I care. I would never go to one of his shows. I do think he thinks he is Elvis reincarnate. He made Joe Esposito cry on the that BBC World's Greatest Elvis contest show and won it.

phpBB [video]

This makes my teeth hurt!

His other problem is he presents Elvis at his worst; (The Elvis with the mugging and fooling around on stage like Elvis started doing in the latter 70's).

Another one who made himself look even more ridicules with the plastic surgery is Doug Church.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:46 pm

eligain wrote:Tonight it's Shaun Klush. Looks like he's had some horrid plastic surgery (nose job, eye job, face lift?) He ruined what ever little resemblance he had to Elvis. Face looks all F'd up.

phpBB [video]

That was not good.

Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:39 am

Shawn or Trent or Even Cody could not bring our man back, but if these men don't try? And they do try just like an actor would for a role in a movie (you would never argue with jimmy dean for being a rebel or marlon Brando for being supermans dad ) so why criticise the work that these talented people do in the name of elvis.
I have been to and cringed at some acts! But these guys are a million years away from that and tv does them some justice , but you have to see them life to appreciate it and also let's not forget the audience ! They make it happen.
I wasn't always in that frame mind until I saw an eta called lee Memphis king in Largs Scotland I also took my daughter and she never stopped smiling from beginning to end what a night! And she was only 14.
What you don't realise when you only have the concert footage is how good these suits looked under the light of a concert my god I thought all the stars had fallen from the heavens and landed on elvis s suit.
Very spectacular and my daughter thought so also ,but that was a few years ago and now she is a teenager and I find it difficult even to get her to smile! :shock:
Mark
Ps Shawn has def put on some weight as for plastic surgery or Botox the jury is out to me it just looks like make up? But he certainly needs to get to a gym :smt002

Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:30 am

eligain wrote:Shaun Klush is annoying the way he continues to act like Elvis off stage. He did sort of resemble Elvis from afar and had many of his mannerisms down pat but now his plastic surgery makes him look like Pee Wee Herman in the face, not that I care. I would never go to one of his shows. I do think he thinks he is Elvis reincarnate. He made Joe Esposito cry on the that BBC World's Greatest Elvis contest show and won it.

phpBB [video]

This makes my teeth hurt!

His other problem is he presents Elvis at his worst; (The Elvis with the mugging and fooling around on stage like Elvis started doing in the latter 70's).

Another one who made himself look even more ridicules with the plastic surgery is Doug Church.

Don't compare Elvis being his own natural self to this, what a B.S. comment!!!!! :roll: :wtf: