Off Topic Messages

EPE posted at ElvisNews and at the E1 site, but not here...

Fri May 09, 2003 10:33 am

EPE must not have wanted to knock heads with everybody's favorite all-knowing expert. :twisted:

Fri May 09, 2003 6:39 pm

Why Scotch, whatever are you implying???

Tom

Fri May 09, 2003 8:37 pm

they were posting about what?
JEFF d
EPFAN

Fri May 09, 2003 9:00 pm

On ElvisNews they responded to the complaint, "What is surprising is how Graceland always find a way to be the last Elvis site to bring out the news, after everybody else. Aren't they supposed to be the official site?" to which EPE responded:
"Hi, folks. Check our article on Elvis.com again. We revised it to put the word PRELIMINARY in capital letters. There's lots more news to come about BMG's Elvis releases in 2003. Leaks and gossip fly around out there on Internet all the time. We wait and post official information specifically okayed by top management at BMG. Some of the leaks and gossip are true - some in part, some in total, and some true at the moment said, but could change. Until things get locked in on certain projects and we get a specific go-ahead from those ultimately in charge at BMG, we don't post.
Regarding '68 and Aloha, which EPE owns, we don't have a specific date absolutely locked in yet for our new DVD releases and prefer not to speculate out loud about when we think it's likely to be. For now, we just say sometime in 2003. The reason we don't have a firm date and a final and specific list of content is that not all the particulars of our contract with our distributor are finalized, although we've been working on the production end for a long while. As we promise in the detailed FAQ on our site, whenever we have new and confirmed details to share, we will immediately post an article in News on our site, update the FAQ and issue an E-newsletter alert. Via these means you will always know everything we can tell you so far about '68 and Aloha. No one in the world is more anxious to get these releases out there and to share all the details about them than we are, but we've learned that if we share any speculative details about an important project and something changes once things actually get finalized, fans barbecue us. That barbecuing tends to be worse than the one we get for not providing the speculative details. We get barbecued no matter what, it's just a matter of whether we want to be cooked rare or well done.
If you click NEWS on our homepage http://www.elvis.com , it takes you to our menu of current news. If you look over to the right of that, you'll see "Frequently Asked Questions" as a choice in our news sub-menu. The FAQ is also accessible from ALL ABOUT ELVIS and other areas on the site."

On the E1 site they discussed upcoming plans for Elvis Week and also the copyright issues on the upcoming DVDs saying:
"We are still trying to get "Are You Lonesome Tonight" cleared for "'68" and "Johnny B. Goode" cleared for "Aloha". Just those two. If all efforts fail, we'll still include the footage, just no sound on those songs. You'll have to cue your audio CD to match up with it. A crying shame if that happens, but we're still hopeful that it won't. RCA has no problem with songs for audio CDs/tapes because music publishing has standardized "fair use" rates. For TV, video, DVD, etc., the publishers can say no or can demand whatever they like."
To see all their posts on E1, go [url=http://www.elvisnumberones.com:81/WebX?230@237.eWXXacGhbkS^10@.ee7fc8e]here[/url].

Fri May 09, 2003 9:13 pm

Thank you Scotch. Very interesting.

Tom

Fri May 09, 2003 9:37 pm

But that could be fake ! Some people fake address and nicknames ! :oops:

Fri May 09, 2003 11:17 pm

I know Curtis, I mean Francesc :wink: , but EPE also posted an e-mail they sent in reply to an email they received from a member of the E1 board(who also posts here) and so they are the real deal.

I am ALWAYS wary of people claiming they are something they are not, call me paranoid. :shock:

Tom, glad to pass on the posts. Not too much new info, but it at least shows EPE knows how important those issues are to us and are working to make the DVDs as complete as possible.
Last edited by scotch on Sat May 10, 2003 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 10, 2003 12:45 am

Interesting... Sadly, they don't tell us anything new. Although this would be a disgrace: "If all efforts fail, we'll still include the footage, just no sound on those songs. You'll have to cue your audio CD to match up with it." Surely they're joking. What kind of company would do such a thing?

PS Why isn't this new information posted in the All Elvis section? Now you people are just doing it on purpose! :lol:

Sat May 10, 2003 4:25 am

If the June 1968 and January 1973 DVDs are issued incomplete in any fashion they will be absolutely worthless.

Let's hope EPE doesn't screw them up as they did on VHS.

Sat May 10, 2003 6:21 am

You know, I haven't EVER heard about this from other artists when they do concert DVD's. How about something like the Ed Sullivan Show releases on DVD. Look at how many performers and songs and authorship they had to clear.
What is it with EPE that they can't pay the songwriters or ASCAP or BMI or whoever it is a decent amount? These people are making millions and millions of dollars a year off of Elvis and, of course, us fans.
You are correct Dr, these DVD's would be worthless. I never bought the previous DVD versions with the songs cut out. I have them on video and will not buy a DVD unless it is complete and preferably with bonus material.
I am shocked to hear such a stupid idea of releasing them without sound.

jeff R

IT NEVER CEASES TO AMAZE ME!!

Sat May 10, 2003 10:16 am

"If all efforts fail, we'll still include the footage, just no sound on those songs. You'll have to cue your audio CD to match up with it. A crying shame if that happens, but we're still hopeful that it won't."

BLAH-HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

That's the exact same sound I will be making as I pass up this new release on the shelf in the store ............. pass it and wave "bye-bye".

N8
...just a fan....

Sat May 10, 2003 5:07 pm

jeffreyjames wrote:You know, I haven't EVER heard about this from other artists when they do concert DVD's. How about something like the Ed Sullivan Show releases on DVD. Look at how many performers and songs and authorship they had to clear.
What is it with EPE that they can't pay the songwriters or ASCAP or BMI or whoever it is a decent amount? These people are making millions and millions of dollars a year off of Elvis and, of course, us fans.
You are correct Dr, these DVD's would be worthless. I never bought the previous DVD versions with the songs cut out. I have them on video and will not buy a DVD unless it is complete and preferably with bonus material.
I am shocked to hear such a stupid idea of releasing them without sound.

jeff R

Good points Jeff,

These publishing issues only seem to affect Elvis Presley releases. We are talking about one song in each Special here. How much can that possibly cost? I was looking forward to these DVD’s, as I thought we would finally get the definitive versions of these two landmark events in the Presley career. However, if EPE release either show with the songs missing from the soundtrack, I really don’t think I will be buying them again. The idea of using an audio CD to match the sound is a joke. The Colonel may be gone, but it seems his influence is still as strong as ever with the men in suits at EPE. Lets hope they get this right for a change, because if they don’t I think they may be left with a large quantity of DVD’s that nobody wants.

Thu May 15, 2003 6:09 am

I don't think they even need to bother releasing them that way. Alot of fans will be down right disgusted and then there will be hell to pay in terms of very low DVD sales.

TCB

Randall

Thu May 15, 2003 4:52 pm

They can spin it however they want, but I never visit the "official" site because they are always WAYYYYYYYY behind several other sites with information. It is not just about releases of music or other products. I just think they have dropped the ball too many times on promotional opportunities--small and large.

The thought of releasing footage with no sound is ridiculous. They may think that it is a favorable way to release the material, but it is laughable. Are there any other artists that you know of from which you receive LESS material on a DVD?

Thu May 15, 2003 5:28 pm

rockinrebel -

The way I understand it, EPE have a rate which they pay for the use of songs in videos, which satisfies virtually all publishers.

If the publishers of one particular song want more, they can't [daren't] accommodate them for fear that all the others will want remunerating at the higher level.

This seems to be a reasonable stand to make.

Why this particular problem should only affect Elvis videos seems to be a mystery.

Unless the publishers take the line "Well, Elvis Presley has recorded our song, so we'll squeeze as much out of the royalties that we possibly can".

Colin B

Fri May 16, 2003 5:43 am

Heck, I don't care.... if they put the footage out without sound, I'll just use my DVD-authoring software and put it on there and burn myself a copy. Problem solved. :lol:

That would suck, though.... I understand the reasons, but it's really a shame that in most "money fights", we're the ones who end up losing.. :(

Fri May 23, 2003 1:32 am

Peter Franks wrote:PS Why isn't this new information posted in the All Elvis section? Now you people are just doing it on purpose! :lol:

I posted this in the off-topic section because my original post was really just attepting to have a bit of fun, when I clarified my statements with the EPE material, the thread did contain substance enough for the All Elvis section.

I'm sure the audio-sync statement was not very well thought out, after all it was posted on a message board and how often do we think about what we are typing? :?