Off Topic Messages

The Most Boring Films You've Seen Were...

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:44 am

For me it would have to be Blow Up (1966) which i was looking forward to seeing after it was recommended to me by a FECC member (in relation to one of my topics on BLow Out movie of a similar storyline). Am I the only one bored to tears by that f..king movie lol.

Perhaps not the worst film I've seen, but a complete waste of time and concentration (and I tried to watch it a few times after I taped it). I did expect more from a movie which supposedly encapsulates the Swinging 60' in England and apparently one of the most influential movies of the 60's. Well folks, I really don't see how it was. It does have a good music score, however. But that's all the movie has going for it.

What a disappointment!!!

The actors were absolutely boring (particularly David Hemmings, cast as some sort of freelance photographer) and the storyline didn't make any sense (if you discover a body on one of your photos most of us would call the police in order to check it out, right ?) Nothing exciting happens , including taking photographs of an "orgy" with two young women, etc. - didn't move me as I was waiting for this pathetic movie to go somewhere (which it didn't). The climatic part of the movie was inconsequential - Hemmings takes a walk in the park where some people are playing a game of tennis WITHOUT THE BALL !!!!

The John Travolta, Nancy Allan remake Blow Out released in 1981 also had it's dull moments but it was far superior especially the opening. It's on YT check it out.
Last edited by Robt on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: The Most Boring Films You've Seen Were...

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:53 am

Almost every movie by Steven Soderbergh - I have to admit I used "Solaris" quite some time to get some sleep. :D

"Jackie Brown" by Tarantino comes to mind, although I like most of his other movies.

Recently I watched "And Soon The Darkness", starring Amber Heard ( :smt007 ) and Karl Urban. When I couldn't take it any longer I pushed the fast forward button (about fifteen minutes prior to the end) - then the movie really started!

There are dozens more I can't think of right now... ("Sensored", starring Robert Picardo just came to my mind).

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:02 pm

The most boring I've seen recently would have to be "I'm Still Here" with Joaquin Phoenix. The first one and a half Lord Of The Rings films didn't keep me awake, either. No idea about the second half of part two, or part three, I'd given up by then.

Oh yes...an honourable mention to the third in the series of Pirates Of The Caribbean movies too. If I hadn't paid for the ticket I'd have walked out.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:27 pm

Valley of the Dolls ( I only watched due to the fact that it featured Sharon Tate) :P
2001 A Space Odyssey.
I love sci-fi movies but this was just boring beyond belief.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:36 pm

A lot depends on your own mood when you see a film.

When I saw Spartacus on the big screen, it all felt so wrong !

I've since seen it on TV, & it's not so bad !

Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:01 pm

Lord Of The Rings is a real drag. All the Harry Potters (except the first one which is cute) are exceptionally tedious. The Matrix bored me silly as did Avatar.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:00 am

2001: A Space Odysee is probably #1 on my list of overrated snooze-fests.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:05 am

Metropolis, Lord of the Rings, Oklahoma (it just goes on for hours), Titanic and the remake of King Kong.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:28 am

Eyes Wide Shut...

Anyone here seen it ? It was too Bloody long...
Tom Cruise plays a Doctor who tries to get back at his wife (Nicole Kidman) after her marijuana-influenced confession of infideltiy which then leads him down some dark and dangerous paths. Lots of bizarre female nudity in that one detracted from the storyline.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:54 am

Robt wrote:Eyes Wide Shut...

Anyone here seen it ? It was too Bloody long...
Tom Cruise plays a Doctor who tries to get back at his wife (Nicole Kidman) after her marijuana-influenced confession of infideltiy which then leads him down some dark and dangerous paths. Lots of bizarre female nudity in that one detracted from the storyline.

Kubrick. My fellow film students worshipped him...I did not share in this adoration!

Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:24 am

Yes i agree with you about Director Kubrick. Most of his work is overrated. I only rate The Shinning from 1980 as his best work, even that one is ridiculously long.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:03 am

Eyes Wide Shut - For some, it will be too darn weird, far too lengthy, and too abstract and open-ended to be enjoyable. Other than that, anyone seen it on blu-ray?

Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:43 am

For Your Consideration. One of the most unfunny, boring movies I've ever seen. I love Christopher Guest's movies but that one was terrible. On the other hand, my wife got me Christmas Story 2 for Christmas for reasons I'm not sure exsist. It isn't even out of the plasitc. Never will be,

Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:09 am

Easy Come, Easy Go

The main actor was a guy called Elvis Presley.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:23 am

Robt wrote:Yes i agree with you about Director Kubrick. Most of his work is overrated. I only rate The Shinning from 1980 as his best work, even that one is ridiculously long.

He leaves me cold - even that film - but then I feel that about much of the established "film studies cannon". Yes, I can appreciate the films are clever or great achievements or give a great message, but there's no point in any of these things if they are so dull I don't want to watch them. I think much of this is to do with how often we see films as well. The seminar group I was teaching last week had just watched The Bicycle Thieves as an example of Italian neo-realism. But they had all seen it before at A-level or earlier in their degree. I just wish people would change the record sometimes, and show something they might not have seen elsewhere. Show Shoeshine or Germany Year Zero instead of Bicycle Thieves; show Frenzy instead of Psycho; and show anything but bloody Metropolis!

And relax.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:46 am

Titanic is a wonderful film. Never gets boring. There's a fan edit featuring all the deleted scenes re-incorporated. I saw it a while ago and it's brilliant. Would love to get a hold of it!

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:07 pm

I am a fan of the 40s and 50s film noir and I was really excited about Brian de Palma's The Black Dahlia, instead I was quite disappointed with this dull film.
And what a waste of talented actors in Malcolm McDowell, Peter O'Toole and John Gieguld in the trashy Caligula.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:06 pm

Pokemon.....many years ago now when my Son was a wee one :lol: :lol:
Moulin Rouge......drove me dotty

Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:25 pm

debtd1 wrote:

Ah but the original is stupendous :)

Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:54 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:
debtd1 wrote:

Ah but the original is stupendous :)

LOL.......I'll take your word for that :lol: :lol:

Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:16 pm

Jove wrote:I am a fan of the 40s and 50s film noir and I was really excited about Brian de Palma's The Black Dahlia, instead I was quite disappointed with this dull film.
And what a waste of talented actors in Malcolm McDowell, Peter O'Toole and John Gieguld in the trashy Caligula.

Thanks. You just reminded me of another one - Citizen Kane
is the most boring movie I’ve ever seen from the 1940's vintage (and from time to time, I often tape most films from that era). I don't get what people and film critics loved about it in the 40′s or why Orson Welles is even considered a genius. Why is that, Peter ?

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:13 pm

shoot me now and get it over with because, even tho i am a classic monster movie fan, i absolutely can't stand Karloffs version of THE MUMMY (1932). :( It's the only Universal monster movie that doesn't really feature a monster. Yes, when i hear about a mummy movie, the mummy i think of is the kind wrapped in bandages and dragging one leg behind him (as featured in the Universal sequels). But instead we get a robed and wrinkled character who is seemingly non-threatening. Lots of talking and references to past lives and a lot of Egyptian mumbo jumbo ruins this for me.
i also can't stand Ray harryhausen's film THREE WORLDS OF GULLIVER. i usually get it once in awhile from the public library. Each time i promise myself that i will watch it until the end and i find myself shutting the movie about the halfway mark. The effects are many notches below Harryhausen's usual high standards of workmanship. Even the storyline was way outside of what Harryhausen usually did. The acting ain't much, either :?

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:32 pm

Robt wrote:...Citizen Kane is the most boring movie I’ve ever seen from the 1940's vintage (and from time to time, I often tape most films from that era).
I don't get what people and film critics loved about it in the 40′s or why Orson Welles is even considered a genius. Why is that, Peter ?

The film broke new ground in the way it was filmed.

Technical tricks, deep focus etc that were unheard of before then.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:54 pm

That's kind of true, Colin. The truth is that Welles pretty much did what D W Griffith had done around three decades earlier. In 1910, the cut was known and used, as were long shots, close-ups, tracking shots, the use of the iris etc, and even to some degree parallel editing - what Griffith did was bring everything together and formed what I guess is best called "film grammar".

Welles did a similar thing with things like deep focus, using different camera angles (eg. filming an overpowering figure with a low camera facing upwards so that he is literally towering over you on film), showing the ceilings in rooms etc. This had all been done before, but Welles brought it altogether and managed to add meaning to it and coherence. But Kane is considered a work of genius for more than that - it is a very unconventional film with regards to narrative. We are used to films that play with chronology within the narrative now, but at the time Kane was made it was relatively new. Kane isn't just told in flashback, the flashbacks aren't even in order. I don't remember Kane specifically, but what I mean is a film starts in 1940, flashes back to 1920, back to 1940, and then back to 1910, so further back than the first flashback.

I like Kane very much, but I don't think it's an easy film to like unless you can wallow is Welles's playfulness with the camera and with cinema, and to some degrees you have to be familiar with how cinema works in order to appreciate that. There is a story, probably not true, that Welles had no idea what he was doing and so read books on the various shots and style of film and just used them all in Kane. He certainly is a bit like a kid with a room full of new toys and not quite knowing which one to play with first.

It has to be said that many people are put of Kane due to the relatively lengthy fake newsreel which kicks it off. By the time it finishes, many viewers have got bored and then never really get back into the film. I like the newsreel, but I think it probably goes on too long.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:35 pm

Robt wrote:2001 A Space Odyssey.
I love sci-fi movies but this was just boring beyond belief.

I agree with you completely.

I like some of Stanley Kubrick's films but 2001 was a boring piece of crap.

A classic film my ass.