Off Topic Messages

Long lost Three Stooges MGM movie found!

Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:23 am

" Hello Pop! " (1933) Lost film >> http://www.threestooges.net/filmography/episode/201

News from Ron Hutchinson at The Vitaphone Project... (January 22, 2013) ~
I am happy to announce that The Vitaphone Project has located a complete Technicolor print of the long-lost Stooges 1933 MGM Colortone short HELLO POP! This is the only lost short with all three Stooges, and also stars Ted Healy and Henry Armetta. The 35mm nitrate print was found overseas and after some torturous steps to get the nitrate packaged and shipped, it is today safely in the hands of my friend Eric Aijayla at YCM labs. Ned Price at Warner Brothers has ensured the funding of the restoration, and ideally we could see this within a year. The sole known print burned in the big MGM fire in the 1960's.

From Rich Finegan ~
I've been in the "keep-it-to-yourself" mode for about a month now, so it's nice the news can finally be announced.
We didn't want anything to possibly interfere with the detailed and torturous steps involved in getting the film element into the capable hands of the good folks at the restoration lab.

A 35mm screening print is going to be struck, then as soon as they get to it we should (hopefully) be seeing it on Turner Classic Movies and/or a DVD release, possibly in a set along with the other MGM Stooges shorts.

I will be going into some of the interesting details of HELLO POP's discovery at a later date.

Regarding other lost films, I can't say anything more right now,
but I will just say there are a lot more where this one came from! (still being inventoried...)

Re: Long lost Three Stooges MGM movie found!

Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:08 am

The finding of a lost film is always good news. Another piece of our cultural history back in place. Turner/Warner's work and commitment to film restoration continues to be miles ahead of the other studios.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:14 am

Wow! Awesome news. I wish they would finally locate a full copy of "Hats Off" and "The Rogue Song"... :wink:

Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:17 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:Wow! Awesome news. I wish they would finally locate a full copy of "Hats Off" and "The Rogue Song"... :wink:

Keep your fingers crossed. :wink:

From Rich Finegan ~
... Regarding other lost films, I can't say anything more right now,
but I will just say there are a lot more where this one came from! (still being inventoried...)

Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:39 pm

Blue River wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:Wow! Awesome news. I wish they would finally locate a full copy of "Hats Off" and "The Rogue Song"... :wink:

Keep your fingers crossed. :wink:

From Rich Finegan ~
... Regarding other lost films, I can't say anything more right now,

Excellent news! Love the Stooges.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:06 pm

Additional info ~

* The long lost 1933 MGM Technicolor THREE STOOGES two reeler HELLO POP has been discovered intact on 35mm in Australia.

My name is Paul Brennan, I live in Sydney Australia and I find lost films. I recently was advised by Ron Hutchinson of THE VITAPHONE PROJECT that a nearby collector (in Sydney) had many decades ago rescued the sole surviving copy and had carefully preserved it. I know the collector and met with him. As I was, he was enthusiastic to see the print repatriated to the US. With costs covered and handshakes all round, HELLO POP is now safely back in the US for full restoration, and will take it's place among titles yearned for by US fans and collectors.

I have been lucky enough to know Australian collectors and meet with execs of US film heritage, and you can cheer the wonderful happy collaborations that allow finds like this be sent home to be celebrated properly. It really doesn't belong to us as it is American screen fun we love, and often so much that we cannot bear to see it destroyed. As a result some essential Hollywood history has been squirreled away here for future generations to jump with joy. Here is a genuine good news story for all Stooges fans from the nice people in Sydney Australia. "

Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:02 pm

wish this would be released on DVD rather than Turner Classic Movie channel. TCM has a tendency to bury short subjects in their schedule and give them no promotion so the real collectors can't find these films there.
Would love to see a LOST STOOGES release featuring their other early solo and Ted Healy shorts.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:26 am

I am so glad to be able to see this. I just wish my mom had lived to see it, she liked the Healy era a lot.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:42 am

elvisbot wrote:Would love to see a LOST STOOGES release featuring their other early solo and Ted Healy shorts.

This is as close as it gets for now >> http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Stooges-Mark ... st+Stooges

Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:46 am

Fantastic news! Big fan of the Stooges.

The Three Stooges-Are you married or happy?

1:02 Love it when Curly says, "Tell me, is it as warm in the summer as it is in the country? or vice versa? nyuk nyuk nyuk or who cares?."

phpBB [video]