They've got the magic touch

Re: what's wrong with the platters ?

Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:40 am

tcb4 wrote:hi

the platters arent mentioned so much on this elvis forum

so i'm asking you

what's wrong with the platters ?

What is the concern?

We don't mention Abraham Lincoln much on this forum, that doesn't mean there was anything wrong with him.

The Platters were a fantastic and successful 1950s vocal group, and Elvis loved them. Too bad we don't have a tape of his 1955-1956 live rendition of "Only You (And You Alone)" or his rundown of Platters hits at Graceland in February 1976.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:45 am

Damn it Doc, why did you have to bring up Abraham Lincoln?

He makes my blood boil!

Geoff

Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:55 am

The Platters are shamefully ignored in the conventional view of rock n' roll history mostly because in retrospect they sound like pure balladeers. But in truth, the Platters' lead singer Tony Williams played an important role in getting pop audiences to accept ballads with a beat and unconventional phrasing. Also for whatever reason, the role vocal groups in general played in the establishment of rock n' roll is also ignored in favor of country and blues. However, vocal groups made the big beat popular before Haley or Presley and were a huge influence on artists like Elvis and Dion and of course the Motown empire. The Platters were one of the best.

In some ways though the group's management has belittled their impact shipping members in and out. There's an episode of Taxi where a character stays in a hotel with the group. His friend asks "Is that the original Platters?" "Just one cousin." They've kind of set it up as a football team or something instead of one of early rock's great acts.

I remember seeing the current touring Platters a few years back and being quite offended by their stage banter. They told the audience that it didn't really matter who was in the Platters, the Platters were actually just the vision of the group's manager Buck Ram. Now Buck Ram was a real talent, writing many of the group's hits and advising them on others. But it was more than just the songs, what made the Platters a sensation in their day was the way the group, particularly Williams, performed the songs. If the current incarnation, which features a lead singer who favors Paul Robeson like interpretations, was in place in the 1950s I don't think they would have had the hits.

There's a lot of reasons they're not mentioned here. As group performers in the 50s, they're not seen as direct rivals to Elvis. Also, their triumph was a long time ago and many of the fans on here just haven't listened to them. They're before their time. And as I said, the vocal group influence on Elvis is often ignored despite its reality.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:50 am

I love The Platters.

They were favorites of my mother and father.
We had very few records in the house until I
started collecting Elvis in the early 70's. So
you had your choice of The Platters Greatest
Hits, Hank Williams Greatest Hits (2 LP) or
that greasy haired kid from Memphis.

Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:23 am

Nothing wrong with The Platters. They were absolutely great and my favourite song is "The Great Preteder".

Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:25 am

The Platters are great but for me there where better doo-wop groups !!!

Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:55 am

rocknroller wrote:The Platters are great but for me there where better doo-wop groups !!!

Were they considered a doo-wop group?

Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:41 pm

Renan wrote:
rocknroller wrote:The Platters are great but for me there where better doo-wop groups !!!

I would have thought so ! but i could be wrong !!!

Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:56 am

rocknroller wrote:
Renan wrote:

I would have thought so ! but i could be wrong !!!

They are simply classified as a "Vocal Group" of the '50s ,but are tagged as Doo-Wop musicians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_doo-wop_musicians

Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:02 am

Renan wrote:

That wasn't a term widely known in the UK at the time.

Acts were either rock 'n' roll or they weren't !

The Platters were !

Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:42 am

Thank you guys!

Living and learning something new everyday.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:43 am

hello fans

i'd like to know if
a platter is also a slang word for LP ?

Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:35 am

i like em