Off Topic Messages

Re: David Cameron to cut child benefit.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:57 pm

Anyone having a problem with single mothers ever wonder how these single mothers come about?
Next time please keep your d*ck inside your own pants!

Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:22 pm

poormadpeter wrote:In a single post you have argued that people are lazy and greedy...but also that people are hard-done-by because there are no jobs. Make up your mind. You can't have your cake and eat it.

Not really.

The way Britain is today, is that we have developed into lazy and greedy nation and that's not just a personal attack is just the way things are.
We have more obese people than ever before, most things now are done by the push of a button, we have major companies who want to make even more millions, because there are not enough jobs the morale of people is at an all-time low since the war and so many have just given up.
Take the lottery for instance, when there is say a triple-rollover so many more people do the lottery cause they are not satisfied with a couple of million, they want tens of millions and that's just down to greed.
Junkfood is one of the biggest industries and most families would rather feed their children on local takeaways than bother preparing healthy foods.
Everything is done by computers that writing will become secondary to them.
The recording industry is a thing of the past cause of downloads and internets.

Machines are doing work now that humans used to be able to do so there is no need for them.

There are so many things that have change that getting a job is going to be harder and harder as the years go on and its going to lead to more unemployment, more crime, more people living below the poverty line and more rich people getting even more richer.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:07 am

Bodie wrote: and more rich people getting even more richer.

This is because they "steal" from the poor.
If the management did not require top-salaries, more people would have a job and the people in the lower regions would make more money.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:32 pm

Bodie wrote:...i won't post on this topic any more.

You've posted another 4 times here since posting that...........

Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:35 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote:
Bodie wrote: and more rich people getting even more richer.

This is because they "steal" from the poor.
If the management did not require top-salaries, more people would have a job and the people in the lower regions would make more money.

It's certainly true that the people running UK businesses award themselves huge 'pay offs' compared to ten or twenty years ago, despite doing a poorer job than they did back then........

Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:31 pm

ColinB wrote:
Bodie wrote:...i won't post on this topic any more.

You've posted another 4 times here since posting that...........

So what.

If there a rule about changing your mind?

Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:24 am

Sums up the situation nicely:

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/the-welfare-bill-a-government-of-millionaires-just-made-the-poor-poorer--and-laughed-as-they-did-it-8443619.html

Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:36 am

poormadpeter wrote:Sums up the situation nicely:

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/the-welfare-bill-a-government-of-millionaires-just-made-the-poor-poorer--and-laughed-as-they-did-it-8443619.html

Yes, the 'capping' of benefits for all welfare claimants is an assault on the poor, but that's what Tories do best !

My earlier support for Cameron & the coalition [in this thread] was for stopping Child Benefit for higher tax-payers, which is another matter.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:42 pm

ColinB wrote:

Yes, the 'capping' of benefits for all welfare claimants is an assault on the poor, but that's what Tories do best !

My earlier support for Cameron & the coalition [in this thread] was for stopping Child Benefit for higher tax-payers, which is another matter.

Yes, I agree.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:39 am

ColinB wrote:

I think they are trying to sort out the mess that the Labour Party put us in while they were in power and trying to make saving where ever they can but its too late.

One of the biggest mistakes Labour made was opening the borders up and letting too many people into Britain.

Not that i have a problem with immigration cause over the last 50 years, Britain has achieved great things from people who have come over here to live, even my ancestors were immigrants but too many have been let in and now we have a country that is totally over-populated with not enough jobs to go round.

From the rich to the poor, vast numbers of people who live in Britain now only think about themselves and what they can get out of the country and its bleeding Britain dry.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:47 am

If only it were that simple and Daily Mail like.

Geoff

Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:47 am

When Labour got into power they should have sorted out the benefit fiasco from day 1 but they never did, only made it worse.

Now all the scrongers who have had it easy for so many years are moaning cause they are being told to get out to work but there are not enough jobs.

I don't understand why young single Mothers turn themselves into baby-making machines expecting taxpayers to fund their lifestyle knowing full well that they are not going to get a job looking after so many kids.

This bloke i know who has never worked in the ten years i've known him, was moaning that he has been told to do some light work or lose some of his benefits and all he did was come out with excuses not to work, thats what some people are like these days.

My sister's boyfriend who has never had a proper taxpaying job in 15 years , weighs 30st and is a carer for his Mum :roll: drives about in a £15,000 car (which is meant for his Mum but she never goes out), and talks proudly how nice cold Pizzas are, had a tattoo done recently of a Bulldog with a Union jack behind it which cost him £150, out of taxpayers money.

Im 45, worked for nearly 30 years and paid tax every week of those years, never claimed a penny in benefits, and i think why do i bother??
And my anger is not directed at those that are getting money, my anger is directed at the people that are giving them the money.
Labour, Conservatives, Lib Dem they are all the same, don't care about the average working person in Britain.

Im sure everyone has their local MP come round their homes knocking on the door asking for their vote just before an election but after the election you'll never see them again cause all they are interested in is your vote, not you as a person.

That's why i will never vote again.

There is nothing Great about Britain any more.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:48 am

Bodie wrote:There is nothing Great about Britain any more.

I beg to differ.........

Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:06 am

Let's try and get a few things straight here. I come from a family who lived in council houses all their lives - my Mum still does. My Dad was made redundant in 1980 after being in his current job 14 years. He did not ask to be on benefits at that point. The next job he had to leave because he nearly went blind after coming into contact with a chemical while working there. At that point the recession was in full swing and he was never employed again (he was over 50 by this point), although he did go self-employed for five years and we just about made it by. although the business lost money and we landed up in debt. When I left school with reasonable A-levels, I was also out of work due to a lack of jobs. Not because I wanted to be. I temped off and on until I finally got a permanent job at which I stayed for nearly ten years, before giving it up to go to uni.

I know what it's like to be on benefits.
I know what it's like to hide behind a curtain from the rent man cos you can't pay him.
And you know what I also know? That neither myself nor my family nor millions of others like them are f**king scroungers.

Bodie, if you have worked for 30 years without a break, then you should think yourself bloody lucky, because there are a huge amount of people who are not as lucky as you. They grow up in areas where there are no jobs. The kids there don't have a chance to move on and out of the area by going to uni and getting a degree because they can't afford it.

While you seemingly surround yourself with a never-ending stream of family members and friends who refuse to work or are baby-making machines, let me make it clear: THIS IS NOT THE NORM. The vast majority of people who are unemployed WANT TO WORK. There are simply no jobs. And the vast majority of people on benefits are ALREADY IN WORK.

This ridiculous and insulting notion of strivers vs shirkers is pathetic right-wing propaganda that is intended to turn the public against the poor in order for the government to get support for its horrendous policies. If you fall for it, then I feel sorry for you. By all means kick your friend who refuses to work up the butt - or, I would recommend, out of your life. But don't fall for the falsehood that he is the norm.

I totally agree that anyone refusing a sensible job offer in the vicinity of where they live should have their benefits stopped. However, this wouldn't happen often as the jobs aren't there to offer to people in the first place. And getting your friend back to work isn't going to help anyone anyway - because it will simply stop someone else from getting a job. It's not like there's enough to go around or we wouldn't be in this horrendous mess.

I also agree that there is a subsection of society in the UK which is, for want of a better word, in need of help. It's sometimes quite shocking going abroad and then coming back to the UK and realising that the segment of society who weigh 30 stone, live on mars bars and haven't washed in weeks doesn't exist in other European countries. I'm not sure what we do about that. I'm not sure how people get in that mess in the first place. But that relative minority (we simply notice them more because they stand out) again is not the norm.

But the country at the moment doesn't stand a chance. Having watched Question Time tonight, a Tory MP has stated that an elderly couple on £25,000 a year can barely get by, and yet has ALSO said that an unemployed man getting just £71 a week should be able to survive through their 71pence a week increase for the next two years. What's more, as columnist Owen Jones has stated so often in the previous few weeks, it appears that labour has no policies or ideas of its own. It's all very well objecting to what is going on, but they also need to present alternatives. Labour isn't doing that.

Finally, I noticed one other thing watching Question Time tonight, and that is that the audience were like a pack of baying hounds. The general public is angry - twitter and facebook are being used by people who never make politicial comments in order to vent their dismay. And it's only a matter of time before that pack of baying hounds take matters into their own hounds and make their voices heard once again.

In other words, expect riots again this summer.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:27 am

poormadpeter wrote:In other words, expect riots again this summer.

Peter, there won't be any riots anytime soon in the UK. Our PM and his trustworthy government assures us of that. All will be well.

Cheers Mate.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:55 am

TCB-FAN wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:In other words, expect riots again this summer.

Peter, there won't be any riots anytime soon in the UK. Our PM and his trustworthy government assures us of that. All will be well.

Cheers Mate.

don't bank on it. He assure us his party is fair too. Don't believe that either.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:41 pm

poormadpeter wrote:Let's try and get a few things straight here. I come from a family who lived in council houses all their lives - my Mum still does. My Dad was made redundant in 1980 after being in his current job 14 years. He did not ask to be on benefits at that point. The next job he had to leave because he nearly went blind after coming into contact with a chemical while working there. At that point the recession was in full swing and he was never employed again (he was over 50 by this point), although he did go self-employed for five years and we just about made it by. although the business lost money and we landed up in debt. When I left school with reasonable A-levels, I was also out of work due to a lack of jobs. Not because I wanted to be. I temped off and on until I finally got a permanent job at which I stayed for nearly ten years, before giving it up to go to uni.

I know what it's like to be on benefits.
I know what it's like to hide behind a curtain from the rent man cos you can't pay him.
And you know what I also know? That neither myself nor my family nor millions of others like them are f**king scroungers.

Bodie, if you have worked for 30 years without a break, then you should think yourself bloody lucky, because there are a huge amount of people who are not as lucky as you. They grow up in areas where there are no jobs. The kids there don't have a chance to move on and out of the area by going to uni and getting a degree because they can't afford it.

While you seemingly surround yourself with a never-ending stream of family members and friends who refuse to work or are baby-making machines, let me make it clear: THIS IS NOT THE NORM. The vast majority of people who are unemployed WANT TO WORK. There are simply no jobs. And the vast majority of people on benefits are ALREADY IN WORK.

This ridiculous and insulting notion of strivers vs shirkers is pathetic right-wing propaganda that is intended to turn the public against the poor in order for the government to get support for its horrendous policies. If you fall for it, then I feel sorry for you. By all means kick your friend who refuses to work up the butt - or, I would recommend, out of your life. But don't fall for the falsehood that he is the norm.

I totally agree that anyone refusing a sensible job offer in the vicinity of where they live should have their benefits stopped. However, this wouldn't happen often as the jobs aren't there to offer to people in the first place. And getting your friend back to work isn't going to help anyone anyway - because it will simply stop someone else from getting a job. It's not like there's enough to go around or we wouldn't be in this horrendous mess.

I also agree that there is a subsection of society in the UK which is, for want of a better word, in need of help. It's sometimes quite shocking going abroad and then coming back to the UK and realising that the segment of society who weigh 30 stone, live on mars bars and haven't washed in weeks doesn't exist in other European countries. I'm not sure what we do about that. I'm not sure how people get in that mess in the first place. But that relative minority (we simply notice them more because they stand out) again is not the norm.

But the country at the moment doesn't stand a chance. Having watched Question Time tonight, a Tory MP has stated that an elderly couple on £25,000 a year can barely get by, and yet has ALSO said that an unemployed man getting just £71 a week should be able to survive through their 71pence a week increase for the next two years. What's more, as columnist Owen Jones has stated so often in the previous few weeks, it appears that labour has no policies or ideas of its own. It's all very well objecting to what is going on, but they also need to present alternatives. Labour isn't doing that.

Finally, I noticed one other thing watching Question Time tonight, and that is that the audience were like a pack of baying hounds. The general public is angry - twitter and facebook are being used by people who never make politicial comments in order to vent their dismay. And it's only a matter of time before that pack of baying hounds take matters into their own hounds and make their voices heard once again.

In other words, expect riots again this summer.

I don't know why you thought i was referring to you and your family with my previous posts cause i didn't and there is no need to swear, even if you did block out some of the letters.

Those people that i mentioned i do not surround myself with them, i do surround myself with many people who work hard and who would never dream of claiming benefits, only as a last resort.
Im glad we agree that there are not enough decent jobs, let alone any kind of jobs available.
The job situation in Britain today is like a game of musical chairs.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:36 pm

What you fail to understand, Bodie, is that everyone is getting tarred with the same brush here - the war isn't on the very small minority, if it is simply on the poor and working classes, and you are adding to that with your comments on single mothers, scroungers etc. You have fell for the lies and exaggerations, hook, line and sinker.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:53 pm

poormadpeter wrote:What you fail to understand, Bodie, is that everyone is getting tarred with the same brush here - the war isn't on the very small minority, if it is simply on the poor and working classes, and you are adding to that with your comments on single mothers, scroungers etc. You have fell for the lies and exaggerations, hook, line and sinker.

What you fail to understand is that im putting the blame on the Government, they are the ones responsible for how bad the country has got, and its the hard-working people and the ones who want to work but can't find work,who are the victims.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:24 pm

poormadpeter wrote: It's sometimes quite shocking going abroad and then coming back to the UK and realising that the segment of society who weigh 30 stone, live on mars bars and haven't washed in weeks doesn't exist in other European countries. I'm not sure what we do about that. I'm not sure how people get in that mess in the first place.

Folks, I'd just like to state for the record that Peter wasn't talking about me in the description above. I'm not a U.K. citizen. And I like Snickers bars.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:55 am

Bodie wrote:
The building trade is finished in Britain, so many British workers are out of work, the retail industry is falling apart and we have at least 50 shops a day closing down cause most people are buying online.
Everything is being taken over by the internet and computers.
You go into any Tesco's, Sainsbury's, WHSmith etc, you will find self-service tills which don't need any people on them, even at the cinema you can buy your ticket on a machine.

There are plenty of independent shops with reasonable prices where you get personal service. Trouble is that too many people want to do everything in one go so therefore end up in a large store or shopping centre. The irony is that even though its cheaper, it is certainly not better quality, in Asda the meat is, as we say in Scotland, minging. Aldi dont have self service tills nor a decent website but provide lots of quality. Local meat, fruit and veg suppliers always have better quality. I hate machines doing the till work, stinks of greed and poor customer service and avoid stores that have them as much as I can.

But I do sense your disillusion with the country and I understand where you are coming from. The people let these larger businesses and the government get away with their money, buying banks, printing money leading to devaluation, and businesses dodging tax so you have to pay more, and someone has to pay for it. So the government goes away and takes the money off the poor and the other people who never caused the economic problems in the first place. Thats not fair at all.

Your annoyance with single mothers is confused, plenty of those that have children end up single through no fault of their own and due to personal circumstances, and many single mothers may return to work in the future, only a small percentage scam the system

Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:38 am

Regarding the shops closing, I really think that part of the issue here is the way in which they are run. When HMV opened in my city, for example, it was staffed by people who knew what they are talking about, but only the other day I saw a member of staff try to persuade a customer than Johnny Cash was a jazz musician. The computerisation of stock control hasn't helped either. My HMV has no less than a dozen copies of That Touch of Mink on its DVD shelves in a relatively small store. At the same time it has maybe five Count Basie CDs - but when one of those CDs is bought, they replace it with the same CD. Surely it's only common sense to replace a back-catalogue CD with something different by the artist. If I went in and bought album X this week, I don't want to buy the same thing next week! It's a ludicrous situation. I adore HMV, I have such fond memories of it as a teen who suddenly developed an interest in a wide range of music and couldn't wait to spend what little money he had on his next purchase. But if it is struggling today, then it's not because of high prices (they aren't that high in there for most things) but sheer laziness in the running of the chain. When things get centralised, things go to pot. Each store must have a better idea of what sells there than a computerised stock ordering system. It's just common sense.

Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:13 pm

I have spent many years in the depths of despair for many, many reasons. The upshot of it all is that I am not able to work and have had to rely on benefits, for which I am most grateful. In the next few months I must re-apply for this benefits, because they have changed the name of it, and this is causing great anxiety. The United Kingdom is divided on whether I and the millions of others deserve it for scrounging off the state. I'll not get into that debate - whether I deserve it or not, I have to do it. But the effect of all this is causing great anxiety also to my dear wife Jane, who does work, and must cope with me and this situation as well as working every hour God sends as a self-employed music teacher. Regular users of this site will know that I have not been here for some years, and this has been down to my illness which has both physical and mental effects.

Now, David Cameron's consistent attacks upon the weak and the vulnerable would not stick in the craw so much if he didn't adopt one justification for benefit cuts but another for allowing bankers to roam free with our money and tax-dodgers to continue to exploit legal loopholes. Ian Duncan Himmler and the Gestapo For Work & Pensions made great play of the fact that benefit fraud cost the UK tax-payer some £10 billion in the last decade. What he and the ConDem government failed to mention was that, in the same period, corporate tax-dodging cost us seven hundred billion pounds. Recovering that would pay for the entire government spending for one year, according to the 2011 Budget. It would, according to the same document, more than double the government's public sector income. Benefit fraud, while not denying that it is a problem, is tiny in comparison, and I've no doubt that those responsible need to be caught and punished, as long as other, corporate, fraudsters are also punished in proportion to the cost of their crime. Don't keep the whole class behind because 1.8% have misbehaved.

Cheers,
Stephen

Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:36 pm

Stephen Butler wrote:I have spent many years in the depths of despair for many, many reasons.
The upshot of it all is that I am not able to work and have had to rely on benefits, for which I am most grateful...

Sorry to hear of your circumstances, Stephen, but Cameron & his trusted chancellor have made it clear:

There are 'workers' & there are 'shirkers' - & they are backing the former group.

So the Devil take the rest of you......................

Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:50 pm

Stephen Butler wrote:Ian Duncan Himmler and the Gestapo For Work & Pensions ...

The similarities in tactics are actually quite frightening: Blame a certain section of society for the mess the country is in, spread propaganda in order to turn much of the country towards that group of people, and then hit that section of society at the time when half the country believes they have what is coming to them.