Off Topic Messages

Universal Pictures Essential Monsters Collection on Blu Ray

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:21 pm

was thinking of buying this Blu Ray set but would like your opinions on this first.
The U.S. release vs. the UK release....any differences in content or quality??? what about the price?
Heard that there were some defects that needed correction by Universal...was this on the US or UK version?

Also would like an HONEST review of this set (from a fellow collectors point of view vs. a website review)

Thank you in advance for your help............. :smt006

Re: Universal Pictures Essential Monsters Collection on Blu

Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:46 pm

I bought the Uk set as a Black Friday deal on amazon. The films look gorgeous, but there is very little new in the way of extras. I planned NOT to buy them until a bigger set came out which included all the sequels, but the price was good (£20) and so went for it. I haven't come across any faults as yet.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:46 pm

The person to ask for a quality review of the set would be Greystoke, but he seems to be on a leave of absence at the moment, but you could try PMing him.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:18 am

I got the UK set at roughly half the cost of the U.S. release. The extras are identical and the UK release is region free.

The quality of the new HD masters is outstanding. I've seen these films in various formats over the past 45 years, including 8mm, 16mm, 35mm, Betamax, VHS, laser disc and DVD. I have never seen them look and sound this good. The quality is superb.

My only complaint is the unnecessary tinkering with the stereoscopic window on CREATURE. This article explains what was done: http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/an-in-dept ... k-lagoon-1

In short, the set is outstanding and HIGHLY recommended!

Bob