Off Topic Messages

Re: Rudeness on FECC

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:47 pm

Elvisgirl wrote:
karlos wrote:..[b].That is not fair by any means in my book - We all love and respect Elvis livlihood and career and music and his endeavours - he has made us all happy in our lives but some fans think they know all bout him .

Some think they do - But they know - no more than an average fan - we are all human and must respect all that are on this board by some means and get along - No need for harsh words or bullying here and being disrespectful ta any one -

well said! just because some has more knowledge about Elvis than others, doesn't mean they are above those who has less knowledge! the important thing is, we are all Elvis fans here. if you know in your heart that you're a fan, then that's what matters! no matter how big of a collection you have, or how much you know about him, or if you've been a fan longer than someone else, or whatever, doesn't makes you a better fan than them! we are all Elvis fans here, and everyone is different. so why can't we come together as one, as the Elvis fans we are? no one is above others, no matter what they might think

..................................................................................................
[b]Ty ElvisGirl for your comment/support - I seriously believe this as a loyal /devoted Elvis fan -
::rocks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:21 am

poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
Anyone who joins a forum or makes comments on an internet site like twitter etc put themselves up for insults and if they can't take it then they shouldn't go on them, simple as that.

So anyone who interacts with other people on the intenet is putting themselves up for insults? REALLY? That's what people should expect on a fan forum which, theoretically, is intended to celebrate the hero of a collective group of people? I don't expect to get insults thrown at me if I work in an environment where I talk with other humans, and I certainly wouldn't expect those around me to say "that's ok", and I certainly wouldn't be expected to tolerate them. I see no reason why a forum should use any other rules just because it is on the internet.

I would like to say one thing: it's important in this kind of "writing" to actually USE the smileys, and not assume people "get a joke." Because a part of all fellowship and friendship is playful teasing and jokes. We want to be able to be silly, use humor, sometimes dry humor, tease in a friendly way, etc., but be sure the other person knows it. That's why: the more smileys, the better! Some people don't like them, but they do help to clarify. They might ruin some dry humor, but it's probably worth it.

I wouldn't quite compare it to the nurse's situation, because not only was it BROADCAST all over the world, the old-fashioned way, but it involved the way she did her job, and the privacy of very public persons - ROYALTY! A whole lot of British folks really, really look up to royalty, and that in itself could be crushing if she were raised that way. And her RealName® was used, of course: it had to be, since it was a publicly broadcast story about other people whose real names were involved: like Kate Middleton-Mountbatten-Windsor, the Queen Elizabeth of England, etc. So, they used her real name, too, which was much more consequential to her, than to the royals. That said, she maybe had other serious problems, and it was the last straw, but still. She was just an ordinary person with a job, and was made an international laughingstock, plus the implication was that she was stupid and incompetent. And this was not on a 'net forum, but on worldwide broadcast, across continents. And they weren't "teasing." They never knew or interacted with this person, ever before: they intended to have a laugh on her job and her personal character. (Which doesn't quite explain why she chose to die rather than contact an attorney! This was a civil matter, and she had a case. Why kill yourself? But that's not the point.)

So, this is why a handle is much less likely to disturb the rest of people's lives, if used in a two-way communications network like the Internet.

Yes, people are "more careful" generally on Facebook: people know their real names, and a WHOLE lot about them and their families. Which adds up to censorship, not overtly, but by fear. Every time I sign on for some serious cause, it's kinda scary. An activist site was recently "auto-shutdown" by FB, and the personal accounts of the administrators partially disabled, due to what Facebook called "a mistake." If a certain amount of complaints are registered, even by THE LOBBYING GROUP THEY OPPOSED, using their right to free speech, the site is auto-shut. Facebook was confronted by the "real" media, or old-fashioned media, and said it was an error. Not in judgement, but in how the software works. So, if you are a rich, powerful lobbying group, you can shut down opposition by employing people to data-bomb a site with complaints. All of this affected the real, personal accounts of the administrators, because they had put up a "bad page." Facebook later restored everything, manually, but not the "likes," but with all the publicity, it doubled overnight. Now, that's a problem that we don't have here, because we're small, and human beings are moderators.

It's not that kind of "censorship" when there is moderation in a community. You will ALWAYS have disagreement and misunderstandings in any community, or it really isn't worth much as a community. If one feels aggrieved, there are real people you can go to. (And it against the rules to push the button on anyone else's behalf, so don't do it. But you can speak out on the boards, if you like, in a polite way - and just say something isn't cool, or isn't nice.)

And that's a good thing: that we're small, and there are human moderators. "Handles" are fun; doesn't anyone remember "Breaker 1-9, Breaker 1-9"?? My handle was, of course, a dull choice: "Rockin' Robin." Only lasted a couple years, the craze, but no problems I know of.

rjm

Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:05 am

RJM, I think you're missing the point here. This isn't about real names or handles - it's about real people. I brought up the nurse in order to show that a seemingly small event can interact with other things going on in people's lives and make a difference.

I don't believe that anyone could have foreseen the tragedy of the nurse.

But I do very much believe that people know that when they give a put-down or insult, that it could hurt. That is the key point here. No doubt one person on here gets more insults than anybody else, but that's because that person gives more out. And yes, you do have to take a bit of your own medicine in this life. That said, there are ways to say what you want without looking like a bigger d*ck than the one who insulted you in the first place.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:10 am

poormadpeter wrote:But I do very much believe that people know that when they give a put-down or insult, that it could hurt. That is the key point here. No doubt one person on here gets more insults than anybody else, but that's because that person gives more out. And yes, you do have to take a bit of your own medicine in this life. That said, there are ways to say what you want without looking like a bigger d*ck than the one who insulted you in the first place.

This is very true. Also it seems a lot easier for people to be insulting to each other online. You wouldn't go around in the real world insulting everyone who disagreed with you, or vice versa. You'd soon end up in hospital. It's easy to forget that there is a real person on the other end, someone who may react differently to being insulted than you would, even if it is only 'a joke'.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:16 am

Polk Salad Andy wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:But I do very much believe that people know that when they give a put-down or insult, that it could hurt. That is the key point here. No doubt one person on here gets more insults than anybody else, but that's because that person gives more out. And yes, you do have to take a bit of your own medicine in this life. That said, there are ways to say what you want without looking like a bigger d*ck than the one who insulted you in the first place.

This is very true. Also it seems a lot easier for people to be insulting to each other online. You wouldn't go around in the real world insulting everyone who disagreed with you, or vice versa. You'd soon end up in hospital. It's easy to forget that there is a real person on the other end, someone who may react differently to being insulted than you would, even if it is only 'a joke'.

it's called cyber bullying

Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:23 am

Elvisgirl wrote:it's called cyber bullying

"Eradicate them!" :mrgreen:

Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:27 am

if only ;)

Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:43 am

rjm wrote:
I would like to say one thing: it's important in this kind of "writing" to actually USE the smileys, and not assume people "get a joke." Because a part of all fellowship and friendship is playful teasing and jokes. We want to be able to be silly, use humor, sometimes dry humor, tease in a friendly way, etc., but be sure the other person knows it. That's why: the more smileys, the better! Some people don't like them, but they do help to clarify. They might ruin some dry humor, but it's probably worth it.

pretty much this
smileys really do help a lot when you joke around on the internet. I always use them wherever I am, because one simple little smiley can really prevent some misunderstandings. on facebook, I'm in a group, where one of the rules is, if you want to joke about other members, you HAVE to use a smiley. if you don't do it, you get a warning. because then the admins sees it as an insult. I think it's an absolutely fair rule

Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:07 am

A lot of people seem to like the fact that they can belittle others on the internet,sadly we have to accept that,but can be happy in the knowledge that they are probably sad lonely no marks with no human friends

Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:19 am

Instead of writing 3 pages of comments isn't easier to just add someone to the "Foe List"? I have one person on it, and it works great!

Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:25 am

promiseland wrote:Instead of writing 3 pages of comments isn't easier to just add someone to the "Foe List"? I have one person on it, and it works great!

Yes that is a very useful function,that i use too

Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:32 am

keninlincs wrote:
promiseland wrote:Instead of writing 3 pages of comments isn't easier to just add someone to the "Foe List"? I have one person on it, and it works great!

You'll never have to add me there Ken, you are one of FECC's finest members!

Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:58 am

If I've got any 'foes' on here, I want to know all that they are posting !

Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:02 pm

ColinB wrote:

If I've got any 'foes' on here, I want to know all that they are posting !

I agree Colin, but the only one I have, I had to for the fact he kept trolling every post I'd make just to leave a smartass reply. It still leaves you the option to read what they post, but this one I have no interest.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:15 pm

promiseland wrote:
ColinB wrote:If I've got any 'foes' on here, I want to know all that they are posting !

I agree Colin, but the only one I have, I had to for the fact he kept trolling every post I'd make just to leave a smartass reply.
It still leaves you the option to read what they post, but this one I have no interest.

If you can still read their posts, what exactly does this 'foes' facility do, then ?

And won't everybody else be reading the 'smartass' replies ?

Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:34 pm

ColinB wrote:
promiseland wrote:
ColinB wrote:If I've got any 'foes' on here, I want to know all that they are posting !

I agree Colin, but the only one I have, I had to for the fact he kept trolling every post I'd make just to leave a smartass reply.
It still leaves you the option to read what they post, but this one I have no interest.

If you can still read their posts, what exactly does this 'foes' facility do, then ?

And won't everybody else be reading the 'smartass' replies ?

It give you an option to read then, they are hidden unless you choose to open them up. Yes everyone else can still read their replies, but they don't get the satisfaction of pissing you off because you cant see them.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:43 pm

promiseland wrote:It give you an option to read then, they are hidden unless you choose to open them up.
Yes everyone else can still read their replies, but they don't get the satisfaction of pissing you off because you cant see them.

So everybody else is rolling on the floor peeing themselves at a joke about you, but you are blissfully unaware of it ?

I'd sooner know what's being said !

Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:57 pm

promiseland wrote:
keninlincs wrote:

You'll never have to add me there Ken, you are one of FECC's finest members!

Thanks very much

Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:08 pm

ColinB wrote:
promiseland wrote:It give you an option to read then, they are hidden unless you choose to open them up.
Yes everyone else can still read their replies, but they don't get the satisfaction of pissing you off because you cant see them.

So everybody else is rolling on the floor peeing themselves at a joke about you, but you are blissfully unaware of it ?

Coming from a Troll I could care less. :D

Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:34 pm

promiseland wrote:
ColinB wrote:

Just for a moment, I thought you were calling me a troll !

But I realise you meant the one you've made a 'foe' out of !

[Hope so, anyway]

Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:09 pm

ColinB wrote:
promiseland wrote:
ColinB wrote:

Just for a moment, I thought you were calling me a troll !

But I realise you meant the one you've made a 'foe' out of !

[Hope so, anyway]

Of course not you Colin, jeez you a little slow there buddy boy :lol:

Yes the one I have Foe'd is the Troll.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:43 pm

promiseland wrote:Coming from a Troll I could care less. :D

Couldn't.

And it will be a cold day in hell when this guy EVER uses a "smiley."

I'm never joking with any of my comments posted on this board. I am dead serious all the time.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:01 pm

Rob wrote:
promiseland wrote:Coming from a Troll I could care less. :D

Couldn't.

And it will be a cold day in hell when this guy EVER uses a "smiley."

I'm never joking with any of my comments posted on this board. I am dead serious all the time.

Thanks for clearing that typo :D

Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:57 pm

keninlincs wrote:A lot of people seem to like the fact that they can belittle others on the internet,sadly we have to accept that,but can be happy in the knowledge that they are probably sad lonely no marks with no human friends

as sad as that is, it doesn't give them the right to be rude to others on the internet. nothing does

Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:59 am

poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
Anyone who joins a forum or makes comments on an internet site like twitter etc put themselves up for insults and if they can't take it then they shouldn't go on them, simple as that.

So anyone who interacts with other people on the intenet is putting themselves up for insults? REALLY? That's what people should expect on a fan forum which, theoretically, is intended to celebrate the hero of a collective group of people? I don't expect to get insults thrown at me if I work in an environment where I talk with other humans, and I certainly wouldn't expect those around me to say "that's ok", and I certainly wouldn't be expected to tolerate them. I see no reason why a forum should use any other rules just because it is on the internet.

You don't understand me properly.

No of course you should not expect insults or rudeness when you write something on a forum or on say Twitter but it happens and the best thing to do is just laugh it off or totally ignore the person who is obviously trying to wind you up or get a reaction from you, very much like what you are doing to me on this topic. :lol:

Have a great Christmas and don't take life and forums too seriously.