Off Topic Messages

Re: Rudeness on FECC

Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:04 am

KHoots wrote:Happy Holidays!!! Love to all...........

That was rude!

Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:06 am

KiwiAlan wrote:If you need to feel welcome...there's a church on every corner 8)

I believe you are joking

Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:07 am

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:It's a nice gesture but the moderators seem to let certain members get a free pass on here.

It's been pointed out to me that some members are registered under different names. They can be rude with one and pleasant with another. I'm told one member even has conversations with himself and congratulates himself on different threads! That's pretty strange, in my opinion.

For those reasons, your wish for kindness and civility will never happen here. The only way to eliminate this issue is to require people to register with their real names. I'm not optimistic.

Unfortunately, because of the continued rudeness and inflated egos/attitudes, I find myself visiting (and participating) less and less. There are better things to do with ones free time!

Agree with ya HoneyTalk Nelson - Moderators and Admin must take note whose joined and keep a close watch on things here to make sure Site runs smoothly without hiccups . Besides new members are joining up as we all know and we need to set a good example to new and regular registered fans alike - Thanks for your support and ya comments on this thread .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:32 am

One thing that does need to be remembered is that the mods are not paid to do their job, and they certainly won't have time to patrol the boards endlessly looking for people misbehaving. Bearing that in mind, the report button as to be used in order to bring problems to their attention.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:19 am

elvisbot wrote:...I think that a new set of rules should be put into place by the admin of this board...

first violation..........a warning
second violation.......suspension from the board for a week
third violation.........revoking a members right to be on the message board and blocking them forever (and not allowing a demeaning member to get away with breaking rules just because they have connection with the admin of this board)

Just a suggestion

::rocks .... when members get along with each other !

First, we'd need a clear-cut definition of what constitutes 'a violation'.

Second, someone would have to keep a record of these in order to decide which 'punishment' was merited at any time.

And third, adoption of this suggestion would be as open to as much misuse & abuse as what we've got now.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:08 am

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:It's been pointed out to me that some members are registered under different names. They can be rude with one and pleasant with another. I'm told one member even has conversations with himself and congratulates himself on different threads! That's pretty strange, in my opinion.

If that's true, there's no need to be coy about it. Who are the members who act in this bizarre fashion?

Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:40 am

Polk Salad Andy wrote:I belong to a number of online forums and I have to say that the rudeness displayed on FECC, namecalling and nastiness etc is overwhelming! Many of those other forums (not Elvis related btw) would not tolerate such anti social behaviour, and have banned members for much less than displayed right here.

How is this behaviour tolerated here?

Do you feel some fans go too far, and are you shocked they are allowed to get away with it?

We are all supposed to be Elvis fans, I've never known such bitchiness amongst a fandom before, except maybe among Sci-Fi fans.

It's pretty disturbing to me (What on Earth would the man himself have thought?)

Your views on this please.

TCB

Andy.

Andy, the mods cannot be monitoring 24/7. Give them a break. My advice to you is to either report whatever it is you regard as being offensive through pm'ing (if you know how) or you can simply leave FECC.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:04 am

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:It's been pointed out to me that some members are registered under different names. They can be rude with one and pleasant with another. I'm told one member even has conversations with himself and congratulates himself on different threads! That's pretty strange, in my opinion.

:smt005 :smt005 that's the funniest thing I've read in a long time :smt003

Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:15 am

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:It's a nice gesture but the moderators seem to let certain members get a free pass on here.

It's been pointed out to me that some members are registered under different names. They can be rude with one and pleasant with another. I'm told one member even has conversations with himself and congratulates himself on different threads! That's pretty strange, in my opinion.

It's called "Multiple Personality Disorder" ala FECC style.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:08 pm

I suppose such a thread had to go into a dark place. "I'm told" can sound an awful lot like a blind item on Page Six of the New York Post. If one can prove such an allegation, one should provide more evidence than TMZ type "news-gathering."

I mean, how do y'all know I didn't just lash out at myself!

Seriously, that was uncool, and unbecoming. Secondly, forums are not Facebook with its lack of respect for on-line privacy. I did decide to take the plunge over there, but I got burned many years ago (it was probably somebody on a listserv - and he wrote things about me that weren't true, and possibly affected my career), and it was not easy giving out my full name again. But FB wss cracking down, soon before I joined, and I felt forced.

It was okay to have a handle during the CB radio craze in the 70s, and it's okay now.

There are times when I'll stand back and let someone take a little slap, if I thought they took a free shot or two recently at someone else. That's the truth; I admit it.. And there are other times when I will absolutely speak up on another's behalf. This is one of those times.

So: I'll be blunt: as one member recently asked on his own behalf, leave him alone!

rjm

Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:47 pm

I don't understand how some members can get upset by what someone writes in a post.

Some of the arguments between members are hilarious and i hope they continue cause if this forum took a stance to stop any rudeness or fights between members it would become so boring.

What amazes me is when a member says' oh i don't want to be a part of this forum any more cause i don't like the way some members treat me', its ridiculous.

Most of us on here are adults and should just laugh it off if a member is rude back to you, not react to them by throwing your teddy in the corner and stamping your feet.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:31 pm

For those reasons, your wish for kindness and civility will never happen here. The only way to eliminate this issue is to require people to register with their real names. I'm not optimistic.

Unfortunately, because of the continued rudeness and inflated egos/attitudes, I find myself visiting (and participating) less and less. There are better things to do with ones free time!

If the brainless know people's real name, they look up the address in the phonebook and pay them a visit to "learn them manners" if one mentions something these bullies don't like. That happened before and will happen again. That is why most people use a fake name on a forum like this.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:47 pm

Bodie wrote:I don't understand how some members can get upset by what someone writes in a post...

Nevertheless, some members have received permanent bans for what they've written.....................

Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:50 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:It's called "Multiple Personality Disorder" ...

I don't for a minute believe there is such a thing !

And all my alter-egos agree with me !

Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:42 pm

Robt wrote:
Polk Salad Andy wrote:I belong to a number of online forums and I have to say that the rudeness displayed on FECC, namecalling and nastiness etc is overwhelming! Many of those other forums (not Elvis related btw) would not tolerate such anti social behaviour, and have banned members for much less than displayed right here.

Do you feel some fans go too far, and are you shocked they are allowed to get away with it?

We are all supposed to be Elvis fans, I've never known such bitchiness amongst a fandom before, except maybe among Sci-Fi fans.

It's pretty disturbing to me (What on Earth would the man himself have thought?)

TCB

Andy.

Andy, the mods cannot be monitoring 24/7. Give them a break. My advice to you is to either report whatever it is you regard as being offensive through pm'ing (if you know how) or you can simply leave FECC.

Of course the report button is there for such a thing, and I must point out that the rudeness I've seen that prompted me to post the thread was not directed at me personally. If it were rest assured, I would have utilised the report button, as it was not directed at me it makes it a bit vigilante to start reporting on other peoples' behalf.
And have no fear, I have no intention of simply leaving FECC, I just wanted to raise the issue to have a debate. And we certainly cannot boast this forum as the best Elvis forum there is when members resort to playground tactics in order to have a debate.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:54 pm

Polk Salad Andy wrote:
Robt wrote:

TCB

Andy.

Of course the report button is there for such a thing, and I must point out that the rudeness I've seen that prompted me to post the thread was not directed at me personally. If it were rest assured, I would have utilised the report button, as it was not directed at me it makes it a bit vigilante to start reporting on other peoples' behalf.
And have no fear, I have no intention of simply leaving FECC, I just wanted to raise the issue to have a debate. And we certainly cannot boast this forum as the best Elvis forum there is when members resort to playground tactics in order to have a debate.

True but the information and education of the life of Elvis is second to none compared to other forums.

This is the best Elvis forum by a mile.

If someone is rude to me on here i take it with a pinch of salt and wouldn't let anyone get under my skin but also understand that some members are not that thick skinned and are offended by how certain members respond to them.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:07 pm

ColinB wrote:
TCB-FAN wrote:It's called "Multiple Personality Disorder" ...

I don't for a minute believe there is such a thing !

And all my alter-egos agree with me !

go to my room! all of you!

Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:22 pm

Bodie wrote:I don't understand how some members can get upset by what someone writes in a post.

There seems to be some backtracking on your posts in another topic, Bodie. Here you are saying we should laugh off insults, and you can't see why people don't. And yet on the thread about the nurse committing suicide over the hoax call you gave perfectly valid reasons as to why she couldn't laugh off that hoax call (culture etc), and that the DJs "have to live with the consequences of their actions".

My point here is that in both cases there is a world outside of the event about which we are talking. There was other stuff going on for the nurse, no doubt, outside of the hoax call. And people have lives outside of FECC. Therefore an insult is quite clearly going to effect one person more than another, and many people are not in a position to laugh off such things in the way that some can.

We are not insulting computer screens here; we are insulting people. People who have lives where all kinds of things can be going on that we don't know about. Once again, and in your own words, we have to live with the consequences of our actions.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:22 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:I don't understand how some members can get upset by what someone writes in a post.

There seems to be some backtracking on your posts in another topic, Bodie. Here you are saying we should laugh off insults, and you can't see why people don't. And yet on the thread about the nurse committing suicide over the hoax call you gave perfectly valid reasons as to why she couldn't laugh off that hoax call (culture etc), and that the DJs "have to live with the consequences of their actions".

My point here is that in both cases there is a world outside of the event about which we are talking. There was other stuff going on for the nurse, no doubt, outside of the hoax call. And people have lives outside of FECC. Therefore an insult is quite clearly going to effect one person more than another, and many people are not in a position to laugh off such things in the way that some can.

We are not insulting computer screens here; we are insulting people. People who have lives where all kinds of things can be going on that we don't know about. Once again, and in your own words, we have to live with the consequences of our actions.

I don't see how you can compare the two.

Anyone who joins a forum or makes comments on an internet site like twitter etc put themselves up for insults and if they can't take it then they shouldn't go on them, simple as that.

The last thing that nurse was expecting was to be caught out like that and the recording played all over the world which caused her so much embarrassment that she took her own life.

To most of us living in the western world its strange why someone would take their own life over something like that but in the culture where she was brought up, it happens alot.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:27 pm

karlos wrote:Please act your age and Not Ya Shoe Size - The Pirate

I've always thought that anyone who uses a phrase like "Act your age, not your shoe size" is probably not mature enough to be using something as powerful as a computer.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:37 pm

The Pirate wrote:
karlos wrote:Please act your age and Not Ya Shoe Size - The Pirate

I've always thought that anyone who uses a phrase like "Act your age, not your shoe size" is probably not mature enough to be using something as powerful as a computer.

I've always thought that anyone who starts a post with "I've always thought..." is far too immature to be posting on a................................ D'OH !

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:21 pm

Bodie wrote:
Anyone who joins a forum or makes comments on an internet site like twitter etc put themselves up for insults and if they can't take it then they shouldn't go on them, simple as that.

So anyone who interacts with other people on the intenet is putting themselves up for insults? REALLY? That's what people should expect on a fan forum which, theoretically, is intended to celebrate the hero of a collective group of people? I don't expect to get insults thrown at me if I work in an environment where I talk with other humans, and I certainly wouldn't expect those around me to say "that's ok", and I certainly wouldn't be expected to tolerate them. I see no reason why a forum should use any other rules just because it is on the internet.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:23 pm

Polk Salad Andy wrote:
Robt wrote:

TCB

Andy.

Andy, the mods cannot be monitoring 24/7. Give them a break. My advice to you is to either report whatever it is you

regard as being offensive through pm'ing (if you know how) or you can simply leave FECC.

And have no fear, I have no intention of simply leaving FECC, I just wanted to raise the issue to have a debate. And we

certainly cannot boast this forum as the best Elvis forum there is when members resort to playground tactics in order to have a debate.

..[b].I Totally agree with ya PolkSalad Andy - why should you leave the board - It aint fair you being accused for some thing you are not guilty off -

This is best forum on net by long shot - I have enjoyed ya posts and pics and ya efforts you add form time to time - Some fans think they are more educated in knowing about Elvis and criticise ya hard work here -

That is not fair by any means in my book - We all love and respect Elvis livlihood and career and music and his endeavours - he has made us all happy in our lives but some fans think they know all bout him .

Some think they do - But they know - no more than an average fan - we are all human and must respect all that are on this board by some means and get along - No need for harsh words or bullying here and being disrespectful ta any one -

-So come on evry one -Lets All get on with each other as we should - No need for being disrespectful to any one - Thanks -
[/b] ::rocks :smt007
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:38 pm

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:The only way to eliminate this issue is to require people to register with their real names.

This would solve almost nothing. I can register here, lets say, as Robert Nelsson, and you would have no way of knowing if that is true or not.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:43 pm

karlos wrote:.[b].[b].That is not fair by any means in my book - We all love and respect Elvis livlihood and career and music and his endeavours - he has made us all happy in our lives but some fans think they know all bout him .

Some think they do - But they know - no more than an average fan - we are all human and must respect all that are on this board by some means and get along - No need for harsh words or bullying here and being disrespectful ta any one -

well said! just because some has more knowledge about Elvis than others, doesn't mean they are above those who has less knowledge! the important thing is, we are all Elvis fans here. if you know in your heart that you're a fan, then that's what matters! no matter how big of a collection you have, or how much you know about him, or if you've been a fan longer than someone else, or whatever, doesn't makes you a better fan than them! we are all Elvis fans here, and everyone is different. so why can't we come together as one, as the Elvis fans we are? no one is above others, no matter what they might think