Off Topic Messages

Bruce-->The Book!

Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:43 pm

Bruce
by Peter Ames Carlin

One of America’s greatest musicians is the first in twenty-five years to be written with the cooperation of Bruce Springsteen himself. With unfettered access to the artist, his family, and band members—including Clarence Clemons in his last major interview—acclaimed music writer Peter Ames Carlin presents a startlingly intimate and vivid portrait of a rock icon.

For more than four decades, Bruce Springsteen has reflected the heart and soul of America with a career that includes twenty Grammy Awards, more than 120 million albums sold, two Golden Globes, and an Academy Award. He has also become an influential voice in American culture and politics, inspiring President Barack Obama to admit: “I’m the president, but he’s the Boss.”

Built from years of research and unparalleled access to its subject and his inner circle, Bruce presents the most revealing account yet of a man laden with family tragedy, a tremendous dedication to his artistry, and an all-consuming passion for fame and influence. With this book, the E Street Band members finally bare their feelings about their abrupt dismissal in 1989, and how Springsteen’s ambivalence nearly capsized their 1999 reunion. Carlin deftly traces Springsteen’s often harrowing personal life: from his lower working- class childhood in Freehold, New Jersey, through his stubborn climb to fame and tangled romantic life, and finally to his quest to conquer the demons that nearly destroyed his father.

Author Peter Ames Carlin

In Bruce, Carlin encompasses the breadth of Springsteen’s astonishing career and explores the inner workings of a man who managed to redefine generations of music. A must for fans, Bruce is a meticulously researched, compulsively readable biography of one of the most complex and fascinating artists in American music.

Editorial Reviews
From Barnes & Noble
Author Peter Ames Carlin has already written biographiess of Sir Paul McCartney and Brian Wilson, but his 512-page life of "The Boss" is his best yet. Bruce taps previously untold stories of Springsteen's early life, musical influences, E Band dynamics, professional career, and personal life. Well-written and carefully researched; "a Bruce bio like no other."

Publishers Weekly
Rock biographer (Paul McCartney) delivers a straight-on, rockin’ and rollin’ life of the Jersey youngster who sold his soul to rock and roll the night he saw Elvis on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1957. Drawing on exclusive interviews with members of the E Street Band, including Clarence Clemons’s final interview, and unrestricted conversations with Springsteen’s family, friends, manager Jon Landau, and Springsteen himself, Carlin takes us on a fascinating journey through Springsteen’s childhood, youth, and his rise to fame out of his early years playing in bands such as the Castiles, Earth, and Child to his most recent concerts in support of his Wrecking Ball album. Carlin energetically drives through the streets of Asbury Park, the bars and arenas around the world where Springsteen continues to work his magic. Carlin gives Springsteen the definitive treatment, and this is by far the best of the many books about the rock and roller, capturing his many moods, his desire to retain his privacy, but his secret craving for superstardom, and, above all, his consummate musicianship and his deep passion for pleasing audiences with rollicking, energetic shows. (Nov.)

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/bruce-p ... 191828&r=1
http://books.usatoday.com/book/whos-the ... es/r848561

Re: Bruce-->The Book!

Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:17 pm

I'm still reading it. One of the best rock bios ever! A very tender, yet unsparing view of his rather confusing and difficult early life is very illuminating. And that's just the beginning. As for the music, the band: it didn't happen overnight. Just excellent.

Thanks! (And if you want to give yourself or a friend a great gift, just Kindle it for x-mas delivery. :D )

rjm

Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:31 am

I may get this.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:42 am

I will get this... if not a Christmas gift

Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:35 pm

looks good, may have to get this......

Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:10 am

$18.99 at Costco...time to get reading. I got 5 books over the holidays (2 were gifts);

Walk A Mile In My Shoes by Arjan Deelen
America Again by Stephen Colbert
Starting Over by Ken Sharp
Who I Am by Pete Townshend
Bruce by Peter Ames Carlin

So, just about finished Along The Way by Martin Sheen & Emilio Estevez (excellent), then 5 to go!