Off Topic Messages

Paul McCartney - The Night Before (Mexico 2012)

Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:21 am

Extremely bad choice by macca to include this in concert given his present vocal range. what do others think ?

phpBB [video]

Re: Paul McCartney - The Night Before (Mexico 2012)

Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:22 am

"Extremely bad choice"? Not in any way, no.

I would have loved to see Paul McCartney in concert singing "The Night Before."

His voice sounds fine. Paul is 70, not 23, and despite his age he's still playing three-hour gigs.

The song is a nice surprise addition to the set, with the band faithfully adhering to the original 1965 Beatles arrangement.

Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:00 am

"His voice sounds fine... " Bullshit it does ! Night Before was extremely taxing for Paul to have sung at his age. Maybe a slower Wings song (like Million Miles from Back to the Egg) would have been a better choice Let's be honest, he can no longer execute Beatles songs. Under the circumstances, why can't he just play his songs post 1980 and not perform 40-45 year old songs anymore ?

Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:15 am

Robt wrote:"His voice sounds fine... " Bullshit it does !

Such anger, what is that about?

I suspect if you ever actually attended a Paul McCartney show, as I have, many times, you would be whistling a different tune.

Ty!

Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:40 am

But I'm not angry :lol: Now Stop your romanticisg and be objective. While Paul still's got some good music in him he really should stop regurgitating Beatles songs he knows he cannot do justice to anymore. Another thing, Ringo who is older actually sounds like he's lost nothing. He's also touring Oz in February and I'm off to see him.

Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:20 pm

As the doc said, if you were there, it would be a thrill. It's a terrific song.

Anyone heard the new Kisses On The Bottom album? Bloody beautiful! I watched the documentary on the flight to Australia last month and listened to the album twice on the way back. Inch Worm is an inspired choice of song too! And a fabulous band!

Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:11 pm

I've seen Paul do The Night Before in Uruguay, April 15 and Paraguay, April 17 and he was brilliant both times.
Of course he can have a night when he's not up there vocally and it is understandable considering his age.
He sounded pretty good on the rockers last 12-12-12 and it goes to show that claiming that he should stop doing Beatle songs is a pretty harsh claim.

phpBB [video]

Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:56 pm

I had the opportunity to see Sir Paul perform live about a year ago (is it really that long ago already?) and it was a very pleasant surprise for me to hear him perform this classic. Loved it!

Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:49 am

You do seem to be a little obsessed with this topic though robt. It's not the first "listen to how screwed Paul's voice is" topic that you have started.

I agree though. It is a poor performance. Paul can still be very cool, but at age 70 he is more hit and miss than he used to be. His voice obviously doesn't cope with the rigours of touring like it did when he was young.

On another night, it wouldn't surprise me to find him delivering a much better rendition of the song.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:57 am

That sounded pretty good to me. Not a mistake for him to include it.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:23 am

I beg to differ. The whole concert in fact was a disaster to listen.

Paul should NOT exclude Beatles songs in concert but to only feature and promote the newer songs. As an example when Wings were active Paul usually made it a point of restricting his show to a few Beatles songs, such as The Long and Winding Road, Let it Be and Yesterday, all ballads. Why can't he go back to this policy ?

Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:34 am

Fair's fair this one from his Rotterdam concert was, for the most part, better sung. Just the same, it would be good to see/hear Sir Paul just promote newer material only. The Beatles Legend are a part of History. Now and forever.

phpBB [video]

Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:47 am

He has one of the most impressive back catalogues in music history and you think he should ignore it in favour of his least acclaimed material? It's just not realistic. I'm not belittling your opinion, because if you would want him to go in that direction, that's fine. It's a personal preference. But you have to recognise that it's a minority view. Most would be very disappointed to turn up and hear no Beatles tracks. Many fans show up with decades invested in an artist like McCartney and they want to wallow in that nostalgia for 2-3 hours. It's why you see grown men visibly moved at such gigs. Paul knows what works and why it works.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:45 am

If he can nail down tracks like Hey Jude, Let it Be, For No One, then OK let's let Sir Paul should include these. But let's also be honest, at 70 he doesn't have much of a voice left. I actually had tears in my eyes hearing the veteran struggling to hit and sustain the high notes on The Night Before. He's better off doing the newer songs or anything post 1980. Whether his fans are going to accept this is another thing. I agree with you, some will be disappointed.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:24 am

I'm not sure that it would make a big difference. It's not like he suddenly started singing significantly lower post-1980. There's also plenty of Beatles tunes that he has no problem with, such as Back in the USSR.

He should probably play a flexible show, with certain songs not tackled if he's not having a strong night, eg Maybe I'm Amazed.

Cheer up though. The guy just silenced the critics with a great set at the 12.12.12 concert, including a hard rocking collaboration with the former members of Nirvana. Wasn't much sign of poor vocals there.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:03 pm

Is it on You Tube ? Post a topic if it is.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:06 pm

I can’t see the problem. Quite enjoyed the performance.

Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:40 pm

I was thrilled to see Paul perform "The Night Before" at the O2 last December.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:48 am

TJ wrote:You do seem to be a little obsessed with this topic though robt. It's not the first "listen to how screwed Paul's voice is" topic that you have started.

It's become a trend, something far more about the poster than the subject.

Paul is treating his fans and his legacy in a first-class manner, with expansive, well-played shows, night after night. It can't last forever, and I am so grateful to have seen him live, in concert, doing his wonderful songs.

It's so much better than posting a YouTube video clip and bitching about it. ;-)

Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:12 am

Didn't you see the second The Night Before (Germany) I put on this topic and read my comments of ? Johnno what was the first McCartney concert you seen as in what year ?

Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:56 am

Not a comment on Paul's performance, but
Kisses On The Bottom (MP3) is $1.99 at
Amazon today.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:28 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
TJ wrote:You do seem to be a little obsessed with this topic though robt. It's not the first "listen to how screwed Paul's voice is" topic that you have started.

Paul is treating his fans and his legacy in a first-class manner, with expansive, well-played shows, night after night. It can't last forever, and I am so grateful to have seen him live, in concert, doing his wonderful songs.

It's so much better than posting a YouTube video clip and bitching about it. ;-)

Spot on as usual, Doc.
Hey, it's Paul McCartney doing a rare Beatles "B-side"/album track.
You don't like it?
Shut up.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:38 am

Thanks. but NO THANKS :o

Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:02 am

phpBB [video]

Here's the KISSES ON THE BOTTOM album done live in the legendary Capital Studios. Dunno about anyone else, but I thoroughly enjoyed it - beautiful music played be top notch musicians with a legend at the Microphone.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:22 am

cartoonland wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Spot on as usual, Doc.
Hey, it's Paul McCartney doing a rare Beatles "B-side"/album track.
You don't like it?
Shut up.

Thanks a lot!

I've seen Paul in concerts from 1989, 2002 and 2010. He was excellent in each, but 2010 perhaps the best of all.