Off Topic Messages

Tom Cruise

Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:48 pm

Now that the world didn't end we can all look forard to a dwarve playing 6'3 Jack Reacher next month.

Re: Tom Cruise

Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:05 pm

KiwiAlan wrote:Now that the world didn't end we can all look forard to a dwarve playing 6'3 Jack Reacher next month.

My mum said the exact same thing about Cruise.

Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:28 pm

I'd rather the world ended..I was so looking forward to it too :(
but it's not the 21th here yet...so there's still hope, right? right?

Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:34 pm

My wife made a comment about this a couple of weeks ago. But Kiwi, let's go easy on the dwarf stuff. Cruise is 5'8". He's got 2" on me.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:19 am

Pete Dube wrote:My wife made a comment about this a couple of weeks ago. But Kiwi, let's go easy on the dwarf stuff. Cruise is 5'8". He's got 2" on me.

IMDB says that Tom is only 5' 7". So now he is only 1 inch taller than you Pete.

I've heard before that he was only 5' 6". So who knows for sure.

All of his ex-wifes said he wasn't too big, not sure WHAT they were talking about! :wink:

Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:43 am

Mitch wrote:
Pete Dube wrote:My wife made a comment about this a couple of weeks ago. But Kiwi, let's go easy on the dwarf stuff. Cruise is 5'8". He's got 2" on me.

IMDB says that Tom is only 5' 7". So now he is only 1 inch taller than you Pete.

All of his ex-wifes said he wasn't too big, not sure WHAT they were talking about! :wink:

I'm glad he's no longer firing Cruise missiles into the ravishing Nicole and the Sweetie-pie Katie.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:32 am

KiwiAlan wrote:Now that the world didn't end ...

Not so fast !

We gotta wait until midnight on the 21st to be sure !

Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:59 am

This whole thing about Cruise playing Jack Reacher is blown out of proportion.

For one thing in the novels Jack Reacher is 6'5 but movies never follow the books 100%.

Second i can't think of any A-list actors that are around the same height as Jack Reacher.
Most of them are under 6 feet.

Third Tom Cruise has done well as an action star in the Mission Impossible series.

Also if you've seen the movie Collateral he did really well as a menacing bad guy.

Based on those two roles it's easy to see how he could pull off playing a menacing tough guy.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:24 am

KiwiAlan wrote:Now that the world didn't end we can all look forard to a dwarve playing 6'3 Jack Reacher next month.

This guy?

Grumpy.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:09 am

brian wrote:This whole thing about Cruise playing Jack Reacher is blown out of proportion.

For one thing in the novels Jack Reacher is 6'5 but movies never follow the books 100%.

Second i can't think of any A-list actors that are around the same height as Jack Reacher.

Brian, Liam Neeson 6'5"; Hugh Jackman 6'3"; Vince Vaughn 6' 4 or 5"; Christian Bale 6'2".

Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:27 am

Pete Dube wrote:
brian wrote:This whole thing about Cruise playing Jack Reacher is blown out of proportion.

Brian, Liam Neeson 6'5"; Hugh Jackman 6'3"; Vince Vaughn 6' 4 or 5"; Christian Bale 6'2".

Vince Vaughn i don't know if i consider him A-list at this point.

I think Neeson is 6'4 and Hugh Jackman is 6'1 or 6'2.

You are right Neeson is around the same height as Jack Reacher but he's probably a little too old for the role.

Cruise's production company bought the rights to the novel a few years ago so no one besides him was going to get to play him.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:38 am

The problem is we all have an image of Jack Reacher in our minds.

I would wager that not a single soul in the world would imagine Cruise as the template.

Kinda like Beiber playing Elvis.....size does matter.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:47 am

Mitch wrote:

IMDB is useless for heights.

Pete is right. Cruise is around 5'8. Considering that he is a little under average, it's odd that he gets so much crap about his height. He's around the same height as many stars who don't ever receive any comments about their height, including the likes of Sean Penn and Mark Wahlberg. Like many Hollywood stars, he pulls out the lifts sometimes, but they get him to about 5'10, which is why he is sometimes mysteriously taller than you would expect.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:52 am

KiwiAlan wrote:The problem is we all have an image of Jack Reacher in our minds.

I would wager that not a single soul in the world would imagine Cruise as the template.

Most people in the world and most people that will go see this movie will have not read the book.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:37 pm

TJ wrote: Pete is right. Cruise is around 5'8. Considering that he is a little under average, it's odd that he gets so much crap about his height. He's around the same height as many stars who don't ever receive any comments about their height, including the likes of Sean Penn and Mark Wahlberg. Like many Hollywood stars, he pulls out the lifts sometimes, but they get him to about 5'10, which is why he is sometimes mysteriously taller than you would expect.

I've never understood why Cruise seems to get so much grief over being 5'8". As far as lifts go the 5'7" Dog the Bounty Hunter wears custom built cowboy boots that get him up to 5'10". I've gotta find out who makes his boots!

Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:00 am

Pete Dube wrote:
I've never understood why Cruise seems to get so much grief over being 5'8".

I think part of it is that he is an action hero and that's sometimes regarded as the domain of the bigger guys. Another factor is he tends to be with tall/tallish women and so winds up looking short, especially when they are in heels. The fact that he tries to hide it with lifts sometimes also makes people enjoy calling him on it.

The real reason though is that the media choose to pick on him as 'Tiny Tom' and not on others of similar stature. The result is that most people assume that Tiny really means Tiny.

Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:24 am

TJ wrote: Another factor is he tends to be with tall/tallish women and so winds up looking short, especially when they are in heels.

I found out, in my misspent youth, that the height difference doesn't matter when you're horizontal. (Dodges rotten fruit and eggs thrown by the female members of this board.)

Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:28 am

Doesn't sound at all "misspent" to me Pete :D

Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:38 am

TJ wrote:Doesn't sound at all "misspent" to me Pete :D

:lol:

Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:35 am

There was the same outcry when it was announced Cruise was to play Lestat in the Interview with the Vampire adaptation, not least from Anne Rice, but he proved the doubters wrong by nailing that part. He leaves himself open to ridicule at times but imo he is one of the most under rated actors Hollywood has to offer. He is also one actor who practicaly guarentee's box office return.