Off Topic Messages

Obscure Christmas Songs/Recordings You Love

Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:28 am

This board is decidedly lacking in Christmassy things this year, it seems. So, how about a thread about Christmas songs and Christmas recordings you love that nobody else seems to know!

I'll kick off with a beautiful, if rather sad, song by Nancy Sinatra from the Sinatra Family Wishes You A Merry Christmas album.

phpBB [video]



Most people will know Crosby's version of The Secret of Christmas if they know the song at all, but Ella Fitzgerald's version finds her in wonderful form. To think this gem landed up on a single B-side!

phpBB [video]

Re: Obscure Christmas Songs/Recordings You Love

Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:45 am

I love Lorne Greene's version of "Must Be Santa." I also love a song called "The Little Red Shoes" by Jerry Butler, which is kind of a manipulative tribute from father to son but somehow it works.

Re: Obscure Christmas Songs/Recordings You Love

Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:32 am

Doesn't matter how many times I hear it, this always makes me laugh.

phpBB [video]

Re: Obscure Christmas Songs/Recordings You Love

Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:47 am

A favorite of mine is Tom Petty's "Christmas All Over Again"
phpBB [video]

Re: Obscure Christmas Songs/Recordings You Love

Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:17 am

Bing and David - Little Drummer Boy , from Bing Crosby 1977 Xmas special. You know that one ? Also Tom Jones and Ella Fitzgerald I'll Be Home for Xmas.

Re: Obscure Christmas Songs/Recordings You Love

Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:11 pm

My youtube video links dont seem to be posting though the youtbe box ! has it changed ? help ? i will post them this way for now !!!


2 of my favs

JOHNNY HORTON - They Shined Up Rudolph's Nose (1959)

http://youtu.be/dZVHlRYhbCo


Mary's Boy Child -- Boney M

http://youtu.be/4qBNaSkb5lQ

Re: Obscure Christmas Songs/Recordings You Love

Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:56 pm

Santa Baby may not be obscure since it's covered by Madonna, Kylie Minogue and Taylor Swift among others. But none of them top the original version by Eartha Kitt.

phpBB [video]

Re: Obscure Christmas Songs/Recordings You Love

Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:38 am

gotta be this one...
phpBB [video]

Re: Obscure Christmas Songs/Recordings You Love

Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:54 am

Merry christmas

phpBB [video]

Re: Obscure Christmas Songs/Recordings You Love

Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:47 am

This is my all time favorite. A classic..........


phpBB [video]

Re: Obscure Christmas Songs/Recordings You Love

Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:55 am

Don't know if this is as widely known as it ought to be. It is on the "Soul Christmas" compilation, but is otherwise the most radical reinvention of one of the best-known songs of all time. Some years, it could ruin Christmas, other years, it may fit the mood. You decide:

phpBB [video]



And this one by Merle Haggard is outstanding, and the cold, pure truth. Thanks, Merle. (If you haven't heard it, you have now, and can buy the MP3. Even if you can't make through December, it's only 99 cents.)

phpBB [video]



rjm

Re: Obscure Christmas Songs/Recordings You Love

Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:10 pm

I like this song recorded by The Ronettes, "Sleigh Ride" (1963):

phpBB [video]

Re: Obscure Christmas Songs/Recordings You Love

Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:13 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRqBfXLzAt8

An obscure recording of an old favourite.

Somewhere in there is me, aged 10, along with the rest of my class.

Funnily enough, we also sang this one on GMTV 18 years ago today.

You may want to get some earplugs before playing!

Re: Obscure Christmas Songs/Recordings You Love

Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:59 pm

londonflash wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRqBfXLzAt8

An obscure recording of an old favourite.

Somewhere in there is me, aged 10, along with the rest of my class.

Funnily enough, we also sang this one on GMTV 18 years ago today.

You may want to get some earplugs before playing!

aaww! that was nice :smt001

Re: Obscure Christmas Songs/Recordings You Love

Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:57 pm

Thank you! :D

Re: Obscure Christmas Songs/Recordings You Love

Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:56 pm

Elvisgirl wrote:
londonflash wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRqBfXLzAt8

An obscure recording of an old favourite.

Somewhere in there is me, aged 10, along with the rest of my class.

Funnily enough, we also sang this one on GMTV 18 years ago today.

You may want to get some earplugs before playing!

aaww! that was nice :smt001


+1

rjm

Re: Obscure Christmas Songs/Recordings You Love

Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:08 pm

R2-D2 wrote:Doesn't matter how many times I hear it, this always makes me laugh.

phpBB [video]



Terrific! Shared to Facebook. Ho, ho, oh no!!!

Thanks for the laugh.

rjm

Re: Obscure Christmas Songs/Recordings You Love

Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:29 pm

rjm wrote:
Elvisgirl wrote:
londonflash wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRqBfXLzAt8

An obscure recording of an old favourite.

Somewhere in there is me, aged 10, along with the rest of my class.

Funnily enough, we also sang this one on GMTV 18 years ago today.

You may want to get some earplugs before playing!

aaww! that was nice :smt001


+1

rjm


Thanks, rjm!

Re: Obscure Christmas Songs/Recordings You Love

Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:05 am

rjm wrote:
R2-D2 wrote:Doesn't matter how many times I hear it, this always makes me laugh.

phpBB [video]



Terrific! Shared to Facebook. Ho, ho, oh no!!!

Thanks for the laugh.

rjm



Glad you enjoyed. Always makes me laugh.

Re: Obscure Christmas Songs/Recordings You Love

Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:39 am

Having listened today to the Nancy Sinatra with which I opened this thread last year, I was wondering if the good folks of the forum had found any more obscure Christmas gems this year?

Re: Obscure Christmas Songs/Recordings You Love

Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:41 am

One of my all time favorite classics....

phpBB [video]

Re: Obscure Christmas Songs/Recordings You Love

Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:53 am

Two of my favorite tracks from Roger Whittaker's outstanding Christmas album. I've had it since first released in 1978 and play it every Christmas season. Enjoy!

phpBB [video]



phpBB [video]

Re: Obscure Christmas Songs/Recordings You Love

Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:12 pm

My favorite Christmas recording ever

[youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRfLl5OEDy8 [/youtube]

Re: Obscure Christmas Songs/Recordings You Love

Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:33 pm

Thanks for Merle, rjm. Love that song. Listened to it recently and it really put me in a mood. Although not a cheerful one. But nevertheless I really really enjoyed it. As usual.

Re: Obscure Christmas Songs/Recordings You Love

Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:55 pm

Darlene Love - "Christmas (Baby, Please Come Home)" - Philles single 119 (1963).

Not really obscure, as she sings it every year, but it's nice to hear again the original 1963 version, produced by Phil Spector.

Play it loud !

phpBB [video]