Off Topic Messages

Real Player Upgrade 16: Not!

Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:34 am

Now, perhaps there is a browser this works with it (I use Chrome), but I've also read about many Firefox problems as well. (And reading other people's comments on the new version: "it sucks" is the general opinion all around.)

It causes ALL Shockwave Flash to crash, over and over and over again. You can restart, and it may work, but basically, your use of the web is toast. I've dis-enabled all plug-ins with it, and will hope for the best. (I have tried EVERY method. Uninstalled, cleanly, re-installed - nothing. I was told on the FB site to "email" them; meanwhile they have my money!)

Why put out a buggy Beta version and charge people! I mean ITunes has this whole new interface, and for about a week, maybe less, it was a little resource hungry, but worked fine. And yesterday, they sent a whole newer version of the new version, and it's much lighter on resources. Why is RealPlayer, which is owned by Google, who own YouTube (!!), having so many problems? I mean, they are very well-connected.

So, the final question: does Nero download videos? It does all this other great stuff, but does it do that? Or is Real Player the ONLY way to download videos. Because that's all it's good for!

(They have a free downloader, but I don't trust it. And I paid my money! Which, if they can't fix these problems, I want back!)

rjm

Re: Real Player Upgrade 16: Not!

Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:52 am

Anyone got a solution? I mean, when I uninstalled the whole bloody thing (sometimes the British have the BEST expressions), everything now works.

But the download function is gone, and I hesitate even to install the freestanding downloader. I could, but what a bad experience! Now, I have no conversion software. And I'm tapped out for the holidays; just bought the last gifts on my list, for some friends. No way can I get Nero. So, no way to convert, even.

rjm

Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:05 pm

Just realized: Gold Wave will convert audio. And since wiping "Real" off my system, videos now stream smoothly!

They want to set a call-back time and "take over my computer." I think that would be insane! Just write it off as an error, and get Nero when I can! Dunno what else to do.

rjm

Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:59 am

After a recent update of Real Player I noticed a problem or two.
Now I'm Real free. Goodbye player.

Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:48 pm

Does anyone even still use Real Player anymore? :smt105

Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:36 am

promiseland wrote:Does anyone even still use Real Player anymore? :smt105

:smt005

Not now, I guess! (Naw, but really, does Nero have a similar download function? After all, YouTube is owned by Google, who also own RealPlayer, so it was okay by them. I know there are freeware ones, but you don't want to put junk on your system.)

rjm

Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:41 am

rjm wrote:

Not now, I guess! (Naw, but really, does Nero have a similar download function? After all, YouTube is owned by Google, who also own RealPlayer, so it was okay by them. I know there are freeware ones, but you don't want to put junk on your system.)

rjm

And Youtube uses Flash Player so go figure. smt179

Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:39 pm

Have a look at Total Recorder by High Criteria

It acts just like a DVD recorder.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:27 am

promiseland wrote:
rjm wrote:

rjm

And Youtube uses Flash Player so go figure. smt179

Some say that may not last for too much longer. The Android Jelly Bean upgrade to the mobile OS also has given up Flash. I got upset because I couldn't play Smileboxes (c'mon, don't laugh - I have a friend who LOVES them). So I found a way to download the most recent version of Android Flash, for the last supported version. Works okay, but not with Chrome. Chrome mobile will NOT work with Flash on the new operating system. And IOS got rid of it last year.

A lot of problems with Flash, and worse, Chrome has its own "built-in" version called "pepperflash" which anyone who knows better, disables. (Type chrome://plugins into your address bar, and disable the "pepperflash" and use only the real Flash.) But, in any event, Flash has problems, and probably won't last much longer because HTML5 has built-in video capability, and that's where they're going. But it wasn't the "fault" of Flash, this time. It was totally RealPlayer, which had made many videos stutter a lot, and would ruin the best-crafted ones. Got rid of it, and they play smooth!

Thanks, Kiwi, for the recommendation, I'll check that out!

(Also, yesterday, they refunded me my money! Couldn't believe it. It won't be in the account 'till after Christmas, though. :( But it will be there!)

rjm (Wow, look at all those cool new auto-coding thingies Jordan put into the editing window! You can put images where you want, indent, subscript, superscript. Nice!)

Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:59 am

RJM,
I'm glad you posted about this. It certainly helped me.
I never really used Real Player anyway.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:08 pm

You're welcome.

Merry Christmas,
rjm

Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:24 pm

iplayastrat wrote:RJM,
I'm glad you posted about this. It certainly helped me.
I never really used Real Player anyway.

I don't blame you, Flash need a major upgrade for it's slow load problems, and it's severe resource hog problem.
Adobe should have been on top of this long ago.