Off Topic Messages

My Avatar: It's the "right time"

Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:41 am

Just wanted to say that. It's the right time. If not now, when will it be? If I don't speak, will I depend on others to speak?
Will I get clobbered for this? Yeah, maybe. Maybe not.

So what? Enough. Enough!

rjm

Re: My Avatar: It's the "right time"

Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:12 am

When sensible people in the US, like Pete Dube, come round to admitting that gun control is needed, we'll start to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

But until then..........................

Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:33 pm

ColinB wrote:When sensible people in the US, like Pete Dube, come round to admitting that gun control is needed, we'll start to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

But until then..........................

It's tough in America. I have a friend in Connecticut, whose wife works in the schools, and had contact with the teachers in that school. So he was all ready for revolution! At first.

And then he said it's very complicated, of course. "Good people" own guns, and so . . . And what to do about "The Second Amendment"? (As though it were scripture?)

He's a close friend and happens to be a VERY liberal guy. But he owns a gun. And wishes to. I would think it'd be a small sacrifice, but people still think it is maybe "protection." It is not. Stolen guns are stolen from people who own them. And we don't know where this guy's weapons came from in any event.

But that's what we're up against here. It's not about Democrats or Republicans, liberals or conservatives. Americans own guns.

I don't how we can get a handle on this thing! (I thought I'd never been in the same ROOM with a gun, ever. Outside of visiting Graceland, anyway. But my friend owned a gun, and it was there the whole time. I stayed over their house, two summers. It had a gun in it! Glad I didn't get hungry at night, and wander over to the fridge!)

I have another friend who also lives in CT. She also owns a gun. Big ole shotgun.

I adore my friends there, understand. This is gonna a tough one.

rjm

Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:20 pm

The people who use guns to murder or rob other people usually have them illegally, therefore, gun control will only control the guns that are in the hands of the innocent people, the murders and crooks will still get the guns the same way they always have been getting them.

This gun control thing everyone wants to see enforced will only effect the honest people , how hard is this to figure out it's not rocket science? :roll:

Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:31 pm

promiseland wrote:The people who use guns to murder or rob other people usually have them illegally, therefore, gun control will only control the guns that are in the hands of the innocent people, the murders and crooks will still get the guns the same way they always have been getting them.

This gun control thing everyone wants to see enforced will only effect the honest people , how hard is this to figure out it's not rocket science? :roll:

Another "great" post by you...again. Why don´t you just smt156

Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:53 pm

Scarre wrote:
promiseland wrote:The people who use guns to murder or rob other people usually have them illegally, therefore, gun control will only control the guns that are in the hands of the innocent people, the murders and crooks will still get the guns the same way they always have been getting them.

This is for you PUKE! :smt097

Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:59 pm

promiseland wrote:
Scarre wrote:

This is for you PUKE! :smt097

Ahhh...yet another, mature, classy post. Keep them coming. It is interesting when you show your true persona.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:38 pm

Weapons that were designed for soldiers in war don’t belong on our streets. Part of it is seeing if we can get an assault weapons ban. But part of it is also looking at other sources of the violence. In my home town of Chicago, there’s an awful lot of violence and they’re not using AK-47s. They’re using cheap hand guns.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:53 pm

rjm wrote:Image

Just wanted to say that. It's the right time. If not now, when will it be? If I don't speak, will I depend on others to speak?

So what? Enough. Enough!

I generally agree. It is time to take steps to reduce the likelihood of this event being repeated in the future.

As I already wrote on the main topic regarding this horrible tragedy (more emphasis added):

Anyone on this forum who has children must be feeling deep empathy with the parents of those who lost their children today in Newtown. I cannot imagine how I would cope if this happened to my babies.

We are at a crossroads in modern society where a fundamental change must be made. It's beyond question America has seen enough incidents with the mentally ill taking guns, assault weapons and other deadly devices and hurting innocent people. Access to this weaponry must be more regulated. Mental illness needs to be addressed earlier, with more transparency and less shame.

Or we can wait for the next shooting incident on the news, and sadly shake our heads.

Certainly, no one is advocating a gun ban, but weapons of war -- like those used yesterday -- should not be allowed for purchase by a common citizen. There is no need whatsoever for such hardware in a family home.

No one has ever said change is easy, but maybe the deaths of so many innocents will be a catalyst.

Today feels no better than yesterday, that's for sure.

All counter-arguments are myth, and have nothing to do with the reality of our current situation.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:59 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

So what? Enough. Enough!

I generally agree. It is time to take steps to reduce the likelihood of this event being repeated in the future.

As I already wrote on the main topic regarding this horrible tragedy (more emphasis added):

Anyone on this forum who has children must be feeling deep empathy with the parents of those who lost their children today in Newtown. I cannot imagine how I would cope if this happened to my babies.

We are at a crossroads in modern society where a fundamental change must be made. It's beyond question America has seen enough incidents with the mentally ill taking guns, assault weapons and other deadly devices and hurting innocent people. Access to this weaponry must be more regulated. Mental illness needs to be addressed earlier, with more transparency and less shame.

Or we can wait for the next shooting incident on the news, and sadly shake our heads.

Certainly, no one is advocating a gun ban, but weapons of war -- like those used yesterday -- should not be allowed for purchase by a common citizen. There is no need whatsoever for such hardware in a family home.

No one has ever said change is easy, but maybe the deaths of so many innocents will be a catalyst.

All counter-arguments are myth, and have nothing to do with the reality of our current situation.

Agreed, a gun in case of burglars (or I assume that's why people want a gun) is one thing, but a gun that is built to wound or kill many people in a short amount of time is a very different thing altogether. And while the argument was made earlier that most murderers own them illegally, I would assume that the vast amount were stolen from regular citizens who have guns. Either way, a number of these shootings in the past have shown that the shooter in question owned the guns legally and no questions were asked when he obtained them.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:03 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

I agree. Too bad "promiseland" can´t see the whole pic
ture.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:38 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

So what? Enough. Enough!

+ 1

Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:09 am

Posts were appropriately deleted, because people got personal with other people. I'd like to ask people to avoid doing that, and name-calling in any thread related to this dreadful tragedy, please. (Especially since it is my topic.) I did not get personal, but addressed a single point in my last post there last night. (Think it's gone, and appropriately so, along with the whole thing that doesn't belong in a thread condemning violence, of all things.) That, as obvious as it seems on this issue, we try to keep Elvis out of current events; it was not directed at anyone in particular. We all must be thinking it. I knew that. And someone said it, and I responded to someone, anyone giving it voice. That's all. No disrespect intended or implied. I respect people for expressing their opinions. Everyone should try their best to do that. I realize this is very emotional, but no one doubts the sincere devastation EVERYONE is feeling! Least of all me.

No more of this sort of thing on this topic:

A Member wrote:<snip of view stated>

Another Member wrote:I agree. Too bad "A Third Member (named)" can´t see the whole pic
ture.

Try not to do that, please. We all cannot "see" things the same way. We CAN discuss things, have a conversation, on the way to a solution.

Thanks again, John, for enlarging the avatar.

Wanted to apologize to anyone who might have taken offense, if I used a point in a post that we ALL were thinking of but didn't say. (Anyone who's been to Graceland would think of it.) Speak your mind, all! And please respect everyone, all! (I just think it's generally respectful to Elvis to leave him out of current events; it WAS going to happen. And that it is all I meant.)

Let's try not to get personal; I didn't. I just expressed my opinion. If we can't do that in the democratic republics of the western world, there will be no solutions to such problems.

Carry on.

And, may the little angels rest in a peace they should not have right now.

rjm

Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:52 pm

While we're on the subject, what has happened to your avatar ?

All I see is a red circle with a line through it.............................

Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:46 am

ColinB wrote:While we're on the subject, what has happened to your avatar ?

All I see is a red circle with a line through it.............................

Oh, he fixed that; it was all over. And I got real tired of staring at Mark David Chapman! So, it being so close to Christmas now, I went with tidings of joy in Elvisland. In the sig file, you'll find an address. I don't know if it helps or not - actually nothing "helps," but it can't hurt, either.

rjm