Off Topic Messages

Another School Shooting -- Children Dead

Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:51 pm

What the hell is wrong with these people??? Stuff like this just makes me sick.

http://www.newstimes.com/news/article/Shootings-reported-at-Newtown-school-4118505.php

Re: Another School Shooting -- Children Dead

Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:09 pm

Pitiful. It's almost like a must anymore. Every couple of years there has to be some wholesale slaughter at a school or an educational campus. Just horrid. This is one of the worst ever. What is wrong with us?

Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:33 pm

Anyone on this forum who has children must be feeling deep empathy with the parents of those who lost their children today in Newtown. I cannot imagine how I would cope if this happened to my babies.

We are at a crossroads in modern society where a fundamental change must be made. It's beyond question America has seen enough incidents with the mentally ill taking guns, assault weapons and other deadly devices and hurting innocent people. Access to this weaponry must be more regulated. Mental illness needs to be addressed earlier, with more transparency and less shame.

Or we can wait for the next shooting incident on the news, and sadly shake our heads.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:35 pm

Amen, John, amen.

This is so horrifying, there are no words.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:38 pm

This is so sad i can't even put it in to words.my heart goes out to every kid who died today and the heartbreak there poor parents are going though.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:10 am

"The victims of the violence are black and white, rich and poor, young and old, famous and unknown. They are, most important of all, human beings whom other human beings loved and needed. No one - no matter where he lives or what he does - can be certain who will suffer from some senseless act of bloodshed. And yet it goes on and on and on in this country of ours."

"And let's dedicate ourselves to what the Greeks wrote so many years ago: to tame the savageness of man and make gentle the life of this world. Let us dedicate ourselves to that, and say a prayer for our country and for our people."

- Robert Kennedy (1968)

Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:29 am

It just popped on TV a few minutes. This is terrible news.

God bless America!

Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:43 am

It's bad enough when someone slaughters innocent adults, but I cannot fathom how someone can slaughter children!

Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:43 am

It really is unbelievable. There are no words.

My heart goes out to those families impacted by this tragedy.

So senseless. So painfully ridiculous how these people are able to do such a thing and not even stop.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:53 am

Such terrible news. My heart goes out to the family and friends of the victims.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:13 am

Not too far from where I live, I am so sick I cannot eat or think about Christmas. I just stopped my shopping today and went home. Sad, sad day for hunanity.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:26 am

Gut wrenching.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:32 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Anyone on this forum who has children must be feeling deep empathy with the parents of those who lost their children today in Newtown. I cannot imagine how I would cope if this happened to my babies.

We are at a crossroads in modern society where a fundamental change must be made. It's beyond question America has seen enough incidents with the mentally ill taking guns, assault weapons and other deadly devices and hurting innocent people. Access to this weaponry must be more regulated. Mental illness needs to be addressed earlier, with more transparency and less shame.

Or we can wait for the next shooting incident on the news, and sadly shake our heads.

Agree completely.
It's time the US followed the UK and other countries with regards to gun laws. There are too many horrendous incidents happening. I have never understood why the US has not implemented stricter gun regulation. There should be no argument over this.
So sorry for the parents and people involved. I can't imagine what they are going through.
As a parent of young children it makes me feel sick.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:56 am

America wake up, no more f***ing guns!!!!

Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:57 am

daylon wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Anyone on this forum who has children must be feeling deep empathy with the parents of those who lost their children today in Newtown. I cannot imagine how I would cope if this happened to my babies.

Agree completely.
It's time the US followed the UK and other countries with regards to gun laws. There are too many horrendous incidents happening. I have never understood why the US has not implemented stricter gun regulation. There should be no argument over this.
So sorry for the parents and people involved. I can't imagine what they are going through.
As a parent of young children it makes me feel sick.

Awfull. Its absolute sickening. You said it, Johnno. Now, What's it going to take for the US poli's to have the balls and implement sticter gun laws over there ?

Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:01 am

There have been more than 40 school shootings since Columbine in 1999. I don't expect one more to make any real difference.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:02 am

Will they ever learn,

Time for the right wingers in USA pulled their heads out of the sand re gun laws.

If they want a template look no further than New Zealand and Australian law.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:16 am

carolynlm wrote:The only positive thing about this story is that the gunman is now dead.
Bloody coward.

I'm not sure i agree. He's taken the ability for justice out of the hands of the people by offing himself.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:30 am

I feel so sad for the children that died. Their parents must be crushed. With 3 of my own, I can only imagine how the parents are feeling right now.

The statistics below speak loud and clear. The US has to do something...what will it take?

Murders with firearms (most recent) by country - http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_m ... h-firearms
# 1 South Africa: 31,918
# 2 Colombia: 21,898
# 3 Thailand: 20,032
# 4 United States: 9,369
# 5 Philippines: 7,708
# 6 Mexico: 2,606
# 7 Slovakia: 2,356
# 8 El Salvador: 1,441
# 9 Zimbabwe: 598
# 10 Peru: 442
# 11 Germany: 269
# 12 Czech Republic: 181
# 13 Ukraine: 173
# 14 Canada: 144
# 15 Albania: 135
# 16 Costa Rica: 131
# 17 Azerbaijan: 120
# 18 Poland: 111
# 19 Uruguay: 109
# 20 Spain: 97
# 21 Portugal: 90
# 22 Croatia: 76
# 23 Switzerland: 68
# 24 Bulgaria: 63
# 25 Australia: 59
# 26 Sweden: 58
# 27 Bolivia: 52
# 28 Japan: 47
# 29 Slovenia: 39
# 30 Belarus: 38
# 30 Hungary: 38
# 32 Latvia: 28
# 33 Burma: 27
# 34 Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of: 26
# 35 Austria: 25
# 36 Estonia: 21
# 37 Moldova: 20
# 38 Lithuania: 16
# 39 United Kingdom: 14
# 39 Denmark: 14
# 41 Ireland: 12
# 42 New Zealand: 10
# 43 Chile: 9
# 44 Cyprus: 4
# 45 Morocco: 1
# 46 Oman: 0
# 46 Luxembourg: 0
# 46 Iceland: 0

DEFINITION: Total recorded intentional homicides committed with a firearm. Crime statistics are often better indicators of prevalence of law enforcement and willingness to report crime, than actual prevalence.

SOURCE: The Eighth United Nations Survey on Crime Trends and the Operations of Criminal Justice Systems (2002) (United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, Centre for International Crime Prevention)

Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:41 am

These poor children will have been counting down the days until Christmas. Sad beyond words RIP little ones.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:42 am

carolynlm wrote:
Matthew wrote:
carolynlm wrote:The only positive thing about this story is that the gunman is now dead.
Bloody coward.

I'm not sure i agree. He's taken the ability for justice out of the hands of the people by offing himself.

Yes, that's right...that is why I called him a coward.
Does this state have the death penalty?

As a father of 4
I can feel parents loss -
its sure is a worse night mare of any parent -
Good gunman has been shot - No loss in our society -
God Bless the parents and protect them -
I surely will pray for peace and harmony in our world ::rocks
................................................................................................................
Im Lightn A candle here as repect for kids worldwide killed in our world -
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:51 am

elvissessions wrote:There have been more than 40 school shootings since Columbine in 1999. I don't expect one more to make any real difference.

If we all keep a defeatist attitude, you will be proven correct.

Maybe our current president will accomplish what his predecessors have not: changing the gun laws in America, and standing up to the right-wingers and gun lobbyists who wave the Second Amendment around every time the subject is broached.

Time will tell.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:58 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvissessions wrote:There have been more than 40 school shootings since Columbine in 1999. I don't expect one more to make any real difference.

If we all keep a defeatist attitude, you will be proven correct.

Maybe our current president will accomplish what his predecessors have not: changing the gun laws in America, and standing up to the right-wingers and gun lobbyists who wave the Second Amendment around every time the subject is broached.

Time will tell.

I certainly hope he does something. The sooner the better.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:56 am

This is truly horrifying... my wife wept openly upon seeing this on the news tonight... I can't even properly express how sad and defeated I feel as a God-fearing man... how could this have happened... I pray for those poor children and adults that were killed in Newton, Connecticut today.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:03 am

I've been having issues all day, this is just so sad and horrific. I live across the street from a grammar school and seeing all the children leaving at 3:00 really affected me.

How does anyone move forward from something like this? I can't even begin to comprehend the pain and suffering of the families that have lost loved ones.