Off Topic Messages

HYPOTHETICAL Facebook Problem . . .

Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:26 am

Ok, this is . . . hypothetical. STRICTLY hypothetical! Could be anybody's problem, you see. (Please don't make fun! Please.)

Well, say you (or whomever) routinely "confirm" friend requests, without actually "knowing" people. Well, one pops over there, looks at their profile, and it seems okay, so one hits confirm, and says "thank you, Welcome aboard!" Not saying I do that, understand, but some people might do that.

And then some 25-year-old person, of the opposite gender, from another part of the world, say Asia, starts messaging the person who confirmed them. And asks for help with "school." Just hypothetical. And the questions, say, become increasingly personal. And perhaps the person in question, who confirmed the "friend," just answers nicely, without realizing anything could be amiss.

And then, and this is hypothetical, understand, the younger person says "Can I ask you to do something for me?" And one might have missed the word "for." You know? Thinking the "friend" asked "can I ASK you something," and so one might answer "sure." {Hypothetical troubled Facebook member falling into quicksand}

And the "confirmed, carelessly, friend" - young person of opposite gender, says "could you e-mail me some beautiful pics of you. You look so sexy. I said you look so young. You look sexy."

What would the careless Facebook problem'ed person do about this "friend"? You wouldn't want to hurt someone's feelings, but . . . I do believe it's over the line.

Hypothetically, of course!

(And what if the problem-besotted person never had a "request" like that before! And is like freaking out! Shared too much info already. Hypothetically, of course.)

rjm

Re: HYPOTHETICAL Facebook Problem . . .

Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:01 pm

I'd say quit facebooking RJM.

Who needs more than the FECC?

Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:22 pm

Younger persons 'of the opposite gender' pleading for sexy photos of me is a way of life these days.

I just ignore them..................

Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:31 pm

Personally i think its a matter o ftelling them that their behaviour in not to your liking,and if it persists you will block them

Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:41 pm

ColinB wrote:Younger persons 'of the opposite gender' pleading for sexy photos of me is a way of life these days.

I just ignore them..................

wont you please send me one???

Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:54 pm

rjm wrote:Ok, this is . . . hypothetical. STRICTLY hypothetical! Could be anybody's problem, you see. (Please don't make fun! Please.)

Well, say you (or whomever) routinely "confirm" friend requests, without actually "knowing" people. Well, one pops over there, looks at their profile, and it seems okay, so one hits confirm, and says "thank you, Welcome aboard!" Not saying I do that, understand, but some people might do that.

And then some 25-year-old person, of the opposite gender, from another part of the world, say Asia, starts messaging the person who confirmed them. And asks for help with "school." Just hypothetical. And the questions, say, become increasingly personal. And perhaps the person in question, who confirmed the "friend," just answers nicely, without realizing anything could be amiss.

And then, and this is hypothetical, understand, the younger person says "Can I ask you to do something for me?" And one might have missed the word "for." You know? Thinking the "friend" asked "can I ASK you something," and so one might answer "sure." {Hypothetical troubled Facebook member falling into quicksand}

And the "confirmed, carelessly, friend" - young person of opposite gender, says "could you e-mail me some beautiful pics of you. You look so sexy. I said you look so young. You look sexy."

What would the careless Facebook problem'ed person do about this "friend"? You wouldn't want to hurt someone's feelings, but . . . I do believe it's over the line.

(And what if the problem-besotted person never had a "request" like that before! And is like freaking out! Shared too much info already. Hypothetically, of course.)

rjm

You're nuts and a drama queen

Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:38 pm

Francesc wrote:
rjm wrote:Ok, this is . . . hypothetical. STRICTLY hypothetical! Could be anybody's problem, you see. (Please don't make fun! Please.)

rjm

You're nuts and a drama queen

:smt046 couldn't have said it better myself. made my day ::rocks

Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:56 am

keninlincs wrote:Personally i think its a matter o ftelling them that their behaviour in not to your liking,and if it persists you will block them

Thanks, Ken. I, uh, well, ok. I was thinking of that, but that might get him angry. Going to a Christmas party tomorrow; good time to say "I'm in a relationship now." I think that ought to put an end to it; he just messaged again this morning! Must put a stop to it. Just thought of that! I just usually answer questions, honestly, and now one has to be much more cautious.

It WAS nuts to answer this guy's questions! (But he said he was a "student" needing "advice" for applying to school here. So, now I know. Always just say, if someone asks out of the blue, about something inappropriate: "I'm in a relationship." Just never happened like that on the 'net before. Never.)

Thanks again, Ken. (I will tell the hypothetical person. ;) )

Best,
rjm
(I come here, because there are nice folks here, who will help you with a problem, 'cause we're friends. So, if it doesn't interest you . . . it doesn't interest you.)
@Elvisgirl: sorry if I said anything to offend you, ok? I was just kiddin' around! That's all. I thought you were kidding around with some things is all. Peace.
Francesc, well, what can I say? You are entitled to your opinions. And you have a great web site.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:29 am

Don't accpet friend requests from strangers.