Off Topic Messages

Dee Warwick - Suspicious Minds

Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:43 am

Dionne's sister. Great Soul style interpretation makes it a pleasure to listen. This deserves to be promoted on off topics. What do others think ?

phpBB [video]

Re: Dee Warwick - Suspicious Minds

Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:57 am

I don't like it...

Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:00 am

Yeah it's a shame that Dee Dee never caught on. She did have talent and this is a good version of the song. She also I believe cut the very original of "You're No Good" which was later scooped by Betty Everett and a decade transformed into a massive hit by Linda Ronstadt. She passed away a few years ago and I was sad to hear it.

The main thing that works against her "Suspicious Minds," and I noticed this especially during the bridge, is that this is primarily a man's lyric. I mean it can fit a woman, but generally are the ones on the defensive like this. That doesn't derail it or anything. Lots of guys have done "Will You Love Me Tomorrow" which is primarily a woman's lyric, but it just doesn't quite fit coming out of the mouth of the other gender.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:18 am

likethebike wrote:Yeah it's a shame that Dee Dee never caught on. She did have talent and this is a good version of the song. She also I believe cut the very original of "You're No Good" which was later scooped by Betty Everett and a decade transformed into a massive hit by Linda Ronstadt. She passed away a few years ago and I was sad to hear it.

The main thing that works against her "Suspicious Minds," and I noticed this especially during the bridge, is that this is primarily a man's lyric. I mean it can fit a woman, but generally are the ones on the defensive like this. That doesn't derail it or anything.
Lots of guys have done "Will You Love Me Tomorrow" which is primarily a woman's lyric, but it just doesn't quite fit coming out of the mouth of the other gender.

Good point. But I still love the soul arrangement and what she brought to the song.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:31 am

I like it. Dee Dee was talented and with a little more luck and promotion might have been a bigger name.

For further evidence of that, check this excellent performance:

"She Didn't Know (She Kept On Talking)" - Dee Dee Warwick
phpBB [video]

On a side note, does anyone know why Dee Dee's "Suspicious Minds" single and Mark James' original single both have Fred Zanborn credited as the songwriter (actually the James single just says F. Zanborn)? Was it a pseudonym that James used?

Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:50 pm

TJ wrote:I like it. Dee Dee was talented and with a little more luck and promotion might have been a bigger name.

For further evidence of that, check this excellent performance:

"She Didn't Know (She Kept On Talking)" - Dee Dee Warwick
phpBB [video]

Thanks mate. Never heard that one before. There's another black female singer from the same era that does a good rendition of In The Ghetto. Been racking my brain as to who that was.

On a side note, does anyone know why Dee Dee's "Suspicious Minds" single and Mark James' original single both have Fred Zanborn credited as the songwriter (actually the James single just says F. Zanborn)? Was it a pseudonym that James used?

Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:01 pm

Wasn't aware of Dionne's sister being a singer. There is, and was, a lot of talent in that family.

Thanks for posting this.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:08 pm

Hey promiseland, who was the female black singer who waxed in the ghetto around 1970 or 1971 ? I think she became a prominent actress.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:14 pm

I think it's James' real name.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:38 am

Robt wrote:Hey promiseland, who was the female black singer who waxed in the ghetto around 1970 or 1971 ? I think she became a prominent actress.

There were only two black female singers who covered In The Ghetto In 1970's. One was a Jamaican Susan Cadogan , and the other, whom you are probably referring to is Candi Staton who had a Grammy nomination for In The Ghetto in 1970. In 1982 she hit the UK chart with a version of Elvis' Suspicious Minds. She did have a television appearance on Soul Train, but never became an actress.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:42 am

promiseland wrote:
Robt wrote:Hey promiseland, who was the female black singer who waxed in the ghetto around 1970 or 1971 ? I think she became a prominent actress.

There were only two black female singers who covered In The Ghetto In 1970's. One was a Jamaican Susan Cadogan , and the other, whom you are probably referring to is Candi Staton who had a Grammy nomination for In The Ghetto in 1970. In 1982 she hit the UK chart with a version of Elvis' Suspicious Minds. She did have a television appearance on Soul Train, but never became an actress.

Yes Candi was outstanding version. However I'm sure there was a third black american female who became a prominent actress during the 1970's. I use to have it on record. Might've been on Atlantic label.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:58 am

This must be the answer to your mystery singer. :D

Yes robt there was a third I overlooked, her name was Leslie Uggams who recorded it shortly after Elvis in 1969. she had her own TV show called The Leslie Uggams Show and appeared in many supporting roles including a lead role in the 1975 film Poor Pretty Eddie.

phpBB [video]

This was her label Atlantic, and the one shown here is what it would have looked like in 1969. Although Youtube doesn't have an upload of her version of In The Ghetto-( You can download it below)

I Have Uploaded Her Version of In The Ghetto here:
http://www51.zippyshare.com/v/80935136/file.html

LP - Just To Satisfy You
http://www.discogs.com/Leslie-Uggams-Ju ... se/2795156
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:09 pm

promiseland wrote:This must be the answer to your mystery singer. :D

Yes robt there was a third I overlooked, her name was Leslie Uggams who recorded it shortly after Elvis in 1969. she had her own TV show called The Leslie Uggams Show and appeared in many supporting roles including a lead role in the 1975 film Poor Pretty Eddie.

phpBB [video]

This was her label Atlantic, and the one shown here is what it would have looked like in 1969. Although Youtube doesn't have an upload of her version of In The Ghetto-( You can download it below)

LP - Just To Satisfy You

Yeah that's her. Thanks mate. I used to have that LP as an US import back in the late 1980's. Would it be correct to say that she was the first singer to cover "in The Ghetto" after Elvis? Later on Ms Uggams became an actress and was outstanding in the 1977 TV series Roots.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:10 pm

Robt wrote:

phpBB [video]

LP - Just To Satisfy You

Yeah that's her. Thanks mate. I used to have that LP as an US import back in the late 1980's. Would it be correct to say that she was the first singer to cover "in The Ghetto" after Elvis? Later on Ms Uggams became an actress and was absolutely outstanding in the 1977 TV series Roots.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:01 pm

Robt wrote:Would it be correct to say that she was the first singer to cover "in The Ghetto" after Elvis?

Dolly Parton got there earlier, releasing it on single in July 1969 and using it as the opening track on her September 1969 album "My Blue Ridge Mountain Boy".

phpBB [video]

Not 100% sure that she made the very first cover, but I don't know of an earlier one.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:08 pm

Robt wrote:
Robt wrote:

phpBB [video]

LP - Just To Satisfy You

Yeah that's her. Thanks mate. I used to have that LP as an US import back in the late 1980's. Would it be correct to say that she was the first singer to cover "in The Ghetto" after Elvis? Later on Ms Uggams became an actress and was absolutely outstanding in the 1977 TV series Roots.

That's a good question, as Elvis Presleys' version was released in April, Dolly Parton's version was released in May, and Leslie-Uggams' June.
Family Dogg's version in July, Chris Clark's November, Nat Stuckey's November, all in '69.
When they were recorded is the mystery.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:10 pm

Where are you getting the Parton and Uggam release dates from? Parton didn't debut at the low-end of the country charts with her single until the end of July. Wiki lists July 26 as the release date for the single, but it's actually the chart debut. Still, a May release seems early.

I didn't think that Uggam had even recorded it by June, but could be wrong.

Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:19 am

TJ wrote:Where are you getting the Parton and Uggam release dates from? Parton didn't debut at the low-end of the country charts with her single until the end of July. Wiki lists July 26 as the release date for the single, but it's actually the chart debut. Still, a May release seems early.

I didn't think that Uggam had even recorded it by June, but could be wrong.

I'll have to scan the article it's in one of my old song books, Dolly gives a little interview in 78. She was defiantly the second to cover the song after Elvis' version.

Here's a attach of some of the covers of In The Ghetto in chronological order the release dates are unknown for 2 and 3.
The Attachment is partial , as there are 52 known covers as of October 14th, 2011 ending with Chris de Burgh.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:50 am

I don't think Uggam recorded it until August, by which time Parton's was already in the charts.

Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:35 am

Solomon Burke also did a version in 1969.