Off Topic Messages

Re: Is there a place I can seriously complain about new form

Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:12 am

This response isn't aimed at anyone in particular.. But...
The old format isn't coming back!
Starting new threads asking for it back, won't make it come back.
It is fine to be in disagreement with the new format! And the good news is, if you give a reasonable explanation of something you don't like in the new style - and enough people agree - I will do my best to accomodate your requests.
Also, you must realize that the old 1999 style was becoming a gigantic security risk in more ways than one.
So in saying that:
The old format isn't coming back!

:facep: :facep: :facep:

Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:25 am

Don't sweat it Jordan. Change inevitably produces some dissent :-) I'm sure the time spent on this is appreciated by most of us.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:41 am

Looks exactly the same on the iPad! ;-)

Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:15 am

fecc-mechanic wrote:
rjm wrote:
One thing: when I hit thanks (I feel like doing that a lot!), it usually redirects to an error message page, says to reload the page "later," which I do, and then it looks normal, and I return. When I return, I have "thanked" the person/post. That's a little strange. (Just did another thanks, and it worked smoothly! We'll see if that's okay. I'm sure it will be okay!) But I'm sure it'll work itself out. I'm on Chrome. (And I just installed it on my phablet, so I'm ALL Chrome, which is very stable, even on the phablet. I still may use mobile view or tapatalk for some functions, but just want to tell people the normal view is much more stable in the Chrome browser, for the forum. I was able to craft a pretty long post in there without it hopping around. You DO have problems if you manually installed Flash, and have get your Smileboxes going in another browswer, 'cause it's all Flash. Otherwise, I really like mobile Chrome, and can't wait to see THIS, there!)

Best,
rjm

Hi RJM
Is this occurring in your mobile browser, or desktop chrome?
It may not be an "error message" per-se, really - as after you hit "thanks" you are redirected to a confirmation page which then redirects you back to the topic (to update the thanks counters). Maybe you are mistaking the thanks "confirmation" page for an error page??????

It was on the PC. And it was an error page. It said to "reload later." And I did, and everything was okay. On about the 3rd or 4th time, it stopped doing it! It works now. I can't explain it. (Maybe something needed to be cleared out? And got cleared out?)

Anyway, it was a little bumpy with that function at first, and then it worked just fine. I guess it's hard with everyone's different browsers and configurations. But this one "fixed itself." I have no clue as to why!

Again, great job! (People sometimes have difficulty with unfamiliarity. I was like that as a kid. Didn't like to change the furniture in my room - got attached to it, even if the new stuff was better. That sorta thing.)

It's as though you bought all new furniture and drapes, and some people came home, and were a bit shocked. It rocks!

Now, where do we find "active topics"? :wink:

rjm

Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:26 am

Robt wrote:
What was the problem with the old format ?

Because its old !!! :lol:

Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:30 am

Thanks Jordan,much cleaner looking

Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:21 am

TJ wrote:Looks good to me. The dimensions of the avatars aren't always correct in IE8

Looks cool to me. Thank you. When will the problem TJ mentioned be fixed?

Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:51 am

fecc-mechanic wrote:The old format isn't coming back!

And it shouldn't have to. The new look is exciting and fresh. No need for us to stay in the old format just because people are used to it. They'll get used to this too.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:04 pm

After looking at this new format on my cell all night, seeing it at home now is even that much nicer.
This is sooo great!

Jordan has put alot of time into this as. I'm sure we all know so let's just show a little respect and thanks for what he has done to upgrade this cool site to even cooler!
As poormadpeter said it is something we have the luxury to use for free, so let's just be thankful FECC is still here after all these years.

It's new and something we will all get used to just as the old one and I'm sure everyone will find it will be much better.

Thanks Jordan you are thee man.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:11 pm

fecc-mechanic wrote:
George Smith wrote:Thanks for the hard work, Jordan.

I like to use the Unread Posts function but when I then look into a post within that list there no longer seems to be an option to go back to that list.

Does that make sense?

As of now, you simply click "board index" and then "View unread posts".

Many thanks for the response, Jordan ... have a happy Christmas.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:31 pm

One thing that might be worth saying is that the forums now look new and modernised, but the menu down the left-hand side of the screen and the front page etc now look rather ancient in comparison! Are there plans to update the look of the rest of the site too?

Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:51 pm

Excellenr work, Jordan! Thank you.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:29 pm

Looks good Jordan. I've just had a look around the User Control Panel and note that you can switch off the 'receive PMs' option. Mine had been switched off. I was getting a complex for a minute there. :facep:

Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:32 pm

I notice that some of the avatars that are not of a portait format, like mine, appear compressed though in the profile editor they appear normal. Are there new dimension restrictions to be adhered to? Not that anyone ever looks at mine anyway, but I have had some comments on varied "shapes" in my Avatars in the past.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:43 pm

poormadpeter wrote:One thing that might be worth saying is that the forums now look new and modernised, but the menu down the left-hand side of the screen and the front page etc now look rather ancient in comparison! Are there plans to update the look of the rest of the site too?

I view the forum at www.elvis-collectors/forum, so no master website side-bar.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:08 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:I notice that some of the avatars that are not of a portait format, like mine, appear compressed though in the profile editor they appear normal. Are there new dimension restrictions to be adhered to? Not that anyone ever looks at mine anyway, but I have had some comments on varied "shapes" in my Avatars in the past.

It was a code change that had to be made to repair an error in Firefox browsers. When the browser wasn't maximized, the larger landscape avatars were not adhering to the CSS code (in firefox only), and were hiding portions of text. So when not maximized, the avatar is automatically re-sized. If the browser is maximized though, the size should be the same as defined in your profile.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:09 pm

poormadpeter wrote:One thing that might be worth saying is that the forums now look new and modernised, but the menu down the left-hand side of the screen and the front page etc now look rather ancient in comparison! Are there plans to update the look of the rest of the site too?

I'm sure that is a possibility down the road :)

Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:09 pm

Scarre wrote:
TJ wrote:Looks good to me. The dimensions of the avatars aren't always correct in IE8

Running the site thru an IE8 emulator now to see if I can reproduce the issue.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:39 pm

fecc-mechanic wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:I notice that some of the avatars that are not of a portait format, like mine, appear compressed though in the profile editor they appear normal. Are there new dimension restrictions to be adhered to? Not that anyone ever looks at mine anyway, but I have had some comments on varied "shapes" in my Avatars in the past.

It was a code change that had to be made to repair an error in Firefox browsers. When the browser wasn't maximized, the larger landscape avatars were not adhering to the CSS code (in firefox only), and were hiding portions of text. So when not maximized, the avatar is automatically re-sized. If the browser is maximized though, the size should be the same as defined in your profile.

seems to be working now. Thanks

Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:00 pm

Scarre wrote:

It SHOULD be fixed now :)

Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:10 pm

There's a way to add more formats so people can choose the one that they most like. Either way, thanks for the hard work.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:13 pm

fecc-mechanic wrote:
Scarre wrote:

It SHOULD be fixed now :)

Yes, it is. Thank you.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:13 pm

Francesc wrote:There's a way to add more formats so people can choose the one that they most like. Either way, thanks for the hard work.

You're welcome, Francesc!
Indeed, there is. But with the added features - secondary themes wouldn't have the add-ons.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:43 pm

On second thought Francesc.. This is actually a good idea.
I will offer a secondary "style" that looks like the old style, but runs off of the modern, safer template.. Look for an "announce" topic soon about this - with instructions on how to activate it.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:51 pm

For those wanting a style closer to the old one, please see: viewtopic.php?style=6&f=2&t=73954