Off Topic Messages

Re: Is there a place I can seriously complain about new form

Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:06 am

Jordan you have to take into consideration there are those on here who still think LPs and 8tracks are the bestformat its 2012 and the new skin looks AWSOME!!

Re: Is there a place I can seriously complain about new form

Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:14 am

George Smith wrote:Thanks for the hard work, Jordan.

I like to use the Unread Posts function but when I then look into a post within that list there no longer seems to be an option to go back to that list.

Does that make sense?


As of now, you simply click "board index" and then "View unread posts".

Re: Is there a place I can seriously complain about new form

Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:15 am

I don't much care for the new format either. It seems so "cluttered" when looking at it.

It will definately take some getting adjusted to.



RKS

Re: Is there a place I can seriously complain about new form

Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:38 am

The format looks great. It's important that the FECC forum keeps in step with the 21st century.

Thank you, Jordan, for your work on this place. It is deeply appreciated.

Re: Is there a place I can seriously complain about new form

Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:45 am

It is nice for me.

Others MB I participate have the same design and it's just a matter of getting used to it.

Re: Is there a place I can seriously complain about new form

Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:46 am

carolynlm wrote:So, if there is a 'Been thanked' message...does this come through as a PM...and does it tell you who thanked you?
It's nice to be appreciated now and again..... :D

and my avatar is still that sexy young man in the leather suit......


Hi Caro,
Indeed it comes through as a PM.. if it doesn't - you can set it to do so by going to:
User Control panel ----> Board preferences ---> Notify me via PM if someone thanks for my post (set to yes).

Then when someone "thanks" you, a pm will be sent, and the person who "thanked" you is identified as the sender of the PM.

You can also see who "Thanked" you by visiting your profile.

Re: Is there a place I can seriously complain about new form

Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:05 am

Robt wrote:
fg76 wrote:The new FECC forum with all due respect, is giving me a headache.


You're right. It's crap. On some of the posts some of the larger avatars obscures the first word. Jordan bring back the old format ?



As long as you can still post hottie pics of sexy female tennis players, we will all be okay. :mrgreen:

Re: Is there a place I can seriously complain about new form

Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:07 am

fecc-mechanic wrote:
Robt wrote:
fecc-mechanic wrote:Check now for the firefox obfuscation/avatar issue. Is it better?


Not much. It's just on a few of the larger avatar's that blocks the first words (such as promiselands and luckyjackson's). Why change ? What was the problem with the old format ?


Hi Robt,
Clear your browsers cache. I have implemented a fix so that the avatars resize if the browser isn't in full screen. It Works :)


Thanks mate. It's done the trick. See ya round.

Re: Is there a place I can seriously complain about new form

Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:08 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:The format looks great. It's important that the FECC forum keeps in step with the 21st century.

Thank you, Jordan, for your work on this place. It is deeply appreciated.


If it wasn't broke in the first place why fix it ? I still do not like the new format.

Re: Is there a place I can seriously complain about new form

Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:27 am

Robt wrote:
If it wasn't broke in the first place why fix it ? I still do not like the new format.


viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73935#p1111736

Re: Is there a place I can seriously complain about new form

Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:30 am

@fg76: He worked so hard to give us this wonderful gift! How could you? :facep:

Used the facepalm! :smt026

I think I said this in another thread, but this is awesome, and of course there will be little issues to be worked out, but this is fabulous! Facebook has bugs and issues EVERY DAY, but they press on with it. So this is really cool! I can't imagine what it looks like on my phone. (Been occupied today, and haven't been on-line.)

One thing: when I hit thanks (I feel like doing that a lot!), it usually redirects to an error message page, says to reload the page "later," which I do, and then it looks normal, and I return. When I return, I have "thanked" the person/post. That's a little strange. (Just did another thanks, and it worked smoothly! We'll see if that's okay. I'm sure it will be okay!) But I'm sure it'll work itself out. I'm on Chrome. (And I just installed it on my phablet, so I'm ALL Chrome, which is very stable, even on the phablet. I still may use mobile view or tapatalk for some functions, but just want to tell people the normal view is much more stable in the Chrome browser, for the forum. I was able to craft a pretty long post in there without it hopping around. You DO have problems if you manually installed Flash, and have get your Smileboxes going in another browswer, 'cause it's all Flash. Otherwise, I really like mobile Chrome, and can't wait to see THIS, there!)

The font looks kinda like a Facebook font. That's okay, but maybe people might like to choose their font, in the future. (Or it shows up 'cause I have the Facebook font installed on my system. Dunno.)

Oh gosh, thanks again!

With pride, I say: ::rocks

Best,
rjm

Re: Is there a place I can seriously complain about new form

Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:35 am

rjm wrote:
One thing: when I hit thanks (I feel like doing that a lot!), it usually redirects to an error message page, says to reload the page "later," which I do, and then it looks normal, and I return. When I return, I have "thanked" the person/post. That's a little strange. (Just did another thanks, and it worked smoothly! We'll see if that's okay. I'm sure it will be okay!) But I'm sure it'll work itself out. I'm on Chrome. (And I just installed it on my phablet, so I'm ALL Chrome, which is very stable, even on the phablet. I still may use mobile view or tapatalk for some functions, but just want to tell people the normal view is much more stable in the Chrome browser, for the forum. I was able to craft a pretty long post in there without it hopping around. You DO have problems if you manually installed Flash, and have get your Smileboxes going in another browswer, 'cause it's all Flash. Otherwise, I really like mobile Chrome, and can't wait to see THIS, there!)


Best,
rjm


Hi RJM
Is this occurring in your mobile browser, or desktop chrome?
It may not be an "error message" per-se, really - as after you hit "thanks" you are redirected to a confirmation page which then redirects you back to the topic (to update the thanks counters). Maybe you are mistaking the thanks "confirmation" page for an error page??????

Re: Is there a place I can seriously complain about new form

Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:43 am

fecc-mechanic wrote:
Robt wrote:
If it wasn't broke in the first place why fix it ? I still do not like the new format.


http://elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewt ... 5#p1111736


Yes I read that. There was security issue. Another thing my Friend. If you're going to make new changes than why not also remove a few of the older features such as Ask Ernst or The Elvis Squad ? Ask Ernst in particular is way out of date and serves no real purpose.

Re: Is there a place I can seriously complain about new form

Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:04 am

Two additional thoughts:

(1) May a topic icon be made to show a more prominent color when a new post has been added?
Right now, it's hard to discern between one that is active and one that is not.

(2) May we shut off topic rollovers (pop-up with first few lines of post)?
It clutters the view as you move your cursor around and is distracting (white font on black background).

Thanks!

Re: Is there a place I can seriously complain about new form

Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:16 am

Thanks Jordan. Keep up the good work and modernization of FECC. Maybe you can help me make the Candid Central section nicer looking! ;-)

Re: Is there a place I can seriously complain about new form

Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:43 am

First let me say thank you, Jordan, for all your hard work and dedication getting this up and running!

It will take some getting used to, but in the long run it's a great thing.

One thing I've noticed when navigating back and forth from "Board Index" to "All Elvis" is data loses alignment (not sure best way to articulate)... see attached pic...

Image

Re: Is there a place I can seriously complain about new form

Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:45 am

Looks good to me. The dimensions of the avatars aren't always correct in IE8 though for some reason.

As Jordan says, the upgrade will allow him to implement all kinds of improvements over time. It's a good thing.

Re: Is there a place I can seriously complain about new form

Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:50 am

Whether people like the new format is almost immaterial - I'm not sure we have the right to moan about something which is free to use! It seems odd to me that people are more willing to complain about something that is free than an error on an FTD that costs £20!!! I'm not sure what that tells us, other than that some people are odd!

Re: Is there a place I can seriously complain about new form

Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:27 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:(1) May a topic icon be made to show a more prominent color when a new post has been added?
Right now, it's hard to discern between one that is active and one that is not.


I agree with the Doc on this as well . . .

Re: Is there a place I can seriously complain about new form

Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:27 am

EPA4368 wrote:First let me say thank you, Jordan, for all your hard work and dedication getting this up and running!

It will take some getting used to, but in the long run it's a great thing.

One thing I've noticed when navigating back and forth from "Board Index" to "All Elvis" is data loses alignment (not sure best way to articulate)... see attached pic...

Image



Thanks for finding this!! Fixed!

Re: Is there a place I can seriously complain about new form

Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:43 am

I like it, it looks modern.
Thanks, Jordan :)

Re: Is there a place I can seriously complain about new form

Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:46 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Two additional thoughts:

(1) May a topic icon be made to show a more prominent color when a new post has been added?
Right now, it's hard to discern between one that is active and one that is not.


Hi John.
The active/new post icons are red:
Image

Threads with no unread posts are white/blue/black:
Image

A little confused, as the two are about as different as you could get!

drjohncarpenter wrote:(2) May we shut off topic rollovers (pop-up with first few lines of post)?
It clutters the view as you move your cursor around and is distracting (white font on black background).
Thanks!


Removed. While a good idea in theory, it did look too "busy".
Thank you, as well as everyone else for your input!

Re: Is there a place I can seriously complain about new form

Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:51 am

Jordan, how do I subscribe to a topic now?

Re: Is there a place I can seriously complain about new form

Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:58 am

JimmyCool wrote:Jordan, how do I subscribe to a topic now?


At the very bottom of the page, to the left there is a "subscribe" link :)

Re: Is there a place I can seriously complain about new form

Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:03 am

fecc-mechanic wrote:
JimmyCool wrote:Jordan, how do I subscribe to a topic now?


At the very bottom of the page, to the left there is a "subscribe" link :)

Oh, yeah! Thanks! ::rocks