Off Topic Messages

Abbott and Costello 12-12-48 radio episode.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:00 am

http://www.myoldradio.com/old-radio-epi ... -hunting/6

Re: Abbott and Costello 12-12-48 radio episode.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:23 am

Very good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:12 pm

I am a huge abbott & costello fan. I have noticed one thing about their comedy over the years that i have mentioned to other fans. They all seem to concur that the comedy routines they performed both on radio and in their tv appearances seem to be the "real" abbott & costello. In their Universal films, i believe that they were held back from doing wild comedy. Universal Pictures at that time (1940's) were operated by a bunch of old-timers who were very non-progressive. In those days, acts like the Three Stooges were considered low brow and classless and Universal didn't want to stoop to the "slap and punch" level of the other acts. So, i was told that Universal held them back during their film career.
So, if you want to witness the comedy genius of the "real" abbott & costello, their radio series or Colgate Comedy Hour on tv, is the way to go.
Check out their Colgate Comedy Hour Christmas Special...it is priceless!!!!!! :smt005

Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:18 am

elvisbot wrote:I am a huge abbott & costello fan. I have noticed one thing about their comedy over the years that i have mentioned to other fans. They all seem to concur that the comedy routines they performed both on radio and in their tv appearances seem to be the "real" abbott & costello. In their Universal films, i believe that they were held back from doing wild comedy. Universal Pictures at that time (1940's) were operated by a bunch of old-timers who were very non-progressive. In those days, acts like the Three Stooges were considered low brow and classless and Universal didn't want to stoop to the "slap and punch" level of the other acts. So, i was told that Universal held them back during their film career.
So, if you want to witness the comedy genius of the "real" abbott & costello, their radio series or Colgate Comedy Hour on tv, is the way to go.
Check out their Colgate Comedy Hour Christmas Special...it is priceless!!!!!! :smt005

I disagree, in that a lot of their best work is found on the big screen. Slapstick has its place, and Bud and Lou certainly indulged, but their particular genius was the verbal interplay. They had a rhythm and fluidity few comedy teams could hope to achieve -- and this is a huge reason why their classic routines ("Who's On First," “Mustard,” “7 x 13=28,” “The Moving Candle,” “Mudder/Fodder,” and so many more) remain hilarious today.

Credit must also be given to their chief writer, John Grant, who took some standard burlesque routines and rewrote them to fit Bud and Lou's unique personalities.

Another aspect unique to the Abbott and Costello films was watching Lou become more and more comfortable in front of the camera. His energy was contagious, and childlike warmth never more evident than at the movies. The character he embodied on radio and TV was coarser, and had less dimensions.

Their legacy is truly in those Universal films from the 1940s and early 1950s.

God bless Bud and Lou.

They brought a lot of happiness to my Saturday afternoons and Sunday mornings.