Google Street View - How Do You Use It Properly?

Off Topic Messages

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Tony Trout
Registered for: 21 years

Google Street View - How Do You Use It Properly?

Post by Tony Trout »

I've played around with Google Street View a little bit but not enough to learn how to use it properly. Would anyone mind helping me learn how to use it properly?

"If the songs don't go over, we can do a medley of costumes!" - Elvis Presley (August 10, 1970 backstage in his dressing room before the first show of the August, 10, 1970/September 8, 1970 season in Vegas).

ECC83
Registered for: 14 years 3 months

Re: Google Street View - How Do You Use It Properly?

Post by ECC83 »

Kind of hard to know what you mean, most things there are evident after a few minutes of toying around, you just have to play around with it a bit until you find what you're looking for. If you screw something up, just refresh the page and start over.

joshferrell
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by joshferrell »

yes it's hard to look into the windows to see naked women...oh well. :lol: :lol: (Just kidding)

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

I use it to check out hotels.Their appearance, location, etc.

Saved a lot of grief

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

zolderopruiming1

Post by zolderopruiming1 »

It is great fun to see your own home both from above (sattellite view) or from the street (streetview).
Just play around with it and you learn how to use it properly.

londonflash

Post by londonflash »

I found my parents on there, nattering to a friend in the old dear's front garden.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

rjm
Registered for: 13 years 2 months

Post by rjm »

Street view, especially, requires experimenting. I don't use "street view" on mobile (or can you?). Just on the computer, along with having installed Google Earth, which isn't as great as I expected, but it does give you a feel for hills and valleys. But "Earth" view flattens out buildings. Street view gives you a real look around!

Street view is fun; it comes from actual photographs taken by the Google people. They ride around in cars, taking pictures! (Which got them in a bit of trouble a little while ago. Too much info-gathering, apparently.) You can actually "drive around" with it! That just takes some practice, but I've "driven" all over Memphis, and Tupelo! It's really fun. You're looking at something, a house, and then you say "I think I'll turn the "car" around, and look at the houses on the other side of the street. But it's static in that the pictures don't really change, except maybe over time. It is fun to play with.

When on the road, the best thing, I've found is "Navigation." It is a satellite view, and you see everything and "the lady inside the phone" really helps out! It does get you there, and there's a choice of routes. I would say street view is something I use before I go somewhere, and then when I get there, I know exactly where everything is. You do have to practice with it. I don't know if there are "instructions." It's easy to get lost, but you click the address, and you're back again.

Hope this was of some help. You mostly get used to it.

rjm

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Earlier this year, I was just pushing the button at a pedestrian crossing when the Google camera car passed !

Now they've updated their pics for my town, but I don't see myself there !

I'm quite disappointed.............

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire